Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsJeffrey Monka
IN THE NEWS

Jeffrey Monka

FEATURED ARTICLES
BUSINESS
August 31, 1990 | JUBE SHIVER Jr., TIMES STAFF WRITER
A federal judge in Los Angeles said Thursday that he will decide over the Labor Day weekend whether to dismiss the biggest payola trial in 30 years and bring an end to the government's case against former record promoter Joseph Isgro and two other defendants due to claims that prosecutors improperly withheld key documents. "What is clear is that there has been a violation," said U.S. District Judge James M. Ideman. "Material that should have been turned over long ago was not turned over. . . .
ARTICLES BY DATE
BUSINESS
September 7, 1990 | JUBE SHIVER Jr., TIMES STAFF WRITER
A federal judge's abrupt dismissal this week of the biggest music payola and racketeering trial in 30 years highlights a textbook example of government bungling and could make it much harder to prosecute future cases of alleged payola or other wrongdoing in the music industry, experts say.
Advertisement
BUSINESS
September 7, 1990 | JUBE SHIVER Jr., TIMES STAFF WRITER
A federal judge's abrupt dismissal this week of the biggest music payola and racketeering trial in 30 years highlights a textbook example of government bungling and could make it much harder to prosecute future cases of alleged payola or other wrongdoing in the music industry, experts say.
NEWS
September 5, 1990 | JUBE SHIVER JR., TIMES STAFF WRITER
Citing "outrageous government misconduct," a federal judge Tuesday dismissed the biggest payola case in 30 years, abruptly ending the trial of record promoter Joseph Isgro and two other defendants after they successfully claimed that prosecutors had improperly withheld key documents. U.S. District Judge James M.
NEWS
September 5, 1990 | JUBE SHIVER JR., TIMES STAFF WRITER
Citing "outrageous government misconduct," a federal judge Tuesday dismissed the biggest payola case in 30 years, abruptly ending the trial of record promoter Joseph Isgro and two other defendants after they successfully claimed that prosecutors had improperly withheld key documents. U.S. District Judge James M.
NEWS
December 1, 1989 | HENRY WEINSTEIN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
In a major case that could send shock waves through the music industry, a federal grand jury Thursday issued a 51-count indictment against Joseph Isgro of Glendale, who was once one of the nation's leading independent record promoters.
NEWS
December 4, 1989 | From Times Staff and Wire Service Reports
A one-time major independent record promoter and one of his business associates pleaded innocent in federal court in Los Angeles today to charges stemming from a cash and cocaine payola scam. Joseph Isgro, 42, who has promoted records by such artists as Michael Jackson, Bruce Springsteen and David Bowie, entered his innocent plea to 51 counts, including racketeering, conspiracy to defraud five record companies and making undisclosed payola payments to radio stations.
BUSINESS
December 5, 1989 | HENRY WEINSTEIN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Joseph Isgro, once one of the nation's leading independent record promoters, pleaded not guilty Monday in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles to a 51-count indictment filed against him last week stemming from a three-year probe into "payola" in the record industry.
BUSINESS
December 14, 1990 | JUBE SHIVER Jr., TIMES STAFF WRITER
Breaking his silence over his recent payola trial, Joseph Isgro--the nation's best-known record promoter--said he hopes the release of a federal judge's opinion criticizing government prosecutors' conduct in the case will erase any "lingering doubts" about his innocence. Isgro's remarks came after U.S. District Judge James M.
BUSINESS
August 22, 1990 | JUBE SHIVER Jr., TIMES STAFF WRITER
Potential jurors gathered in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles were told Tuesday to expect a long and highly publicized proceeding as the government opened the racketeering and payola trial of one of the most powerful and controversial record promoters of the 1980s: Joseph Isgro. Judge James M. Ideman warned potential jurors that the case would probably run more than a month and attract intense news coverage.
BUSINESS
August 31, 1990 | JUBE SHIVER Jr., TIMES STAFF WRITER
A federal judge in Los Angeles said Thursday that he will decide over the Labor Day weekend whether to dismiss the biggest payola trial in 30 years and bring an end to the government's case against former record promoter Joseph Isgro and two other defendants due to claims that prosecutors improperly withheld key documents. "What is clear is that there has been a violation," said U.S. District Judge James M. Ideman. "Material that should have been turned over long ago was not turned over. . . .
NEWS
December 1, 1989 | HENRY WEINSTEIN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
In a major case that could send shock waves through the music industry, a federal grand jury Thursday issued a 51-count indictment against Joseph Isgro of Glendale, who was once one of the nation's leading independent record promoters.
BUSINESS
January 22, 1991 | JUBE SHIVER Jr., TIMES STAFF WRITER
Independent record promoters, although they remain a controversial and cloistered group, are staging a slow comeback after years of government investigations into their business practices made them outcasts in the $6.5-billion music industry.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|