Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsJeffrey S Conner
IN THE NEWS

Jeffrey S Conner

FEATURED ARTICLES
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 7, 1999 | Noaki Schwartz, (949) 574-4232
The Newport International Film Festival is officially dead, organizer Jeffrey S. Conner said this week. Conner's statement came as he faced his creditors, who contend he owes more than $200,000, at federal Bankruptcy Court. It was his first public appearance since he filed for Chapter 7 personal bankruptcy last month. The news of the festival's demise has shocked residents and volunteers alike, who thought the festival was establishing itself as a premier event in Newport Beach.
ARTICLES BY DATE
Advertisement
ENTERTAINMENT
March 25, 1999 | RANDY LEWIS
The Newport Beach International Film Festival is a juried competition. The festival jury will give prizes in nine categories at a ceremony and festival tribute to be held April 1 at Buzz Restaurant and Bar in Newport Beach. The Grand Jury Award: The festival's top prize, given to the best film as decided by the jury. The Audience Award: Selected through audience participation and balloting.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 14, 1996
If Palm Springs has a film festival, why not Orange County? After all, we're closer to Hollywood, have a beach and served as the location for numerous movies over the years--although on screen they tended to stand in for the sands of Iwo Jima or palm tree-lined Hawaii. Well, thanks to a film buff who also happens to be an attorney and developer, the county recently finished 10 days of showings of films of all stripes, courtesy of the Newport Beach International Film Festival.
ENTERTAINMENT
March 29, 1996 | ZAN DUBIN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A Romeo-and-Juliet story of two lovers in what used to be Yugoslavia won the top award Thursday at the first Newport Beach International Film Festival, which continues through Sunday. "Vukovar Poste Restante," shot in war-ravaged Sarajevo, took the festival's Jury Award for "best representing the type of films we want now and for the future of the festival," said Jeffrey S. Conner, the festival's executive director.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 15, 1999 | ALLISON COHEN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The Newport Beach City Council voted unanimously Monday to provide public funds for the new Newport Beach film festival set to kick off this spring. The city earmarked $7,000 Monday in start-up costs and will vote in the new year whether to provide more revenue--as much as $40,000--for theater space for the eight-day event, set to start March 30. The city's funding comes at a crucial time. Organizers had set a Jan. 1 deadline to raise at least 25% of the festival's estimated $100,000 budget.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 13, 1999 | ALLISON COHEN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Newport Beach is moving "full steam ahead" to host an international film festival after community leaders voted to resurrect the idea since the collapse last month of the 4-year-old Newport Beach International Film Festival. "We are looking forward to closing the chapter on the old festival and starting afresh," said Gregg Schwenk, a member of the Newport Beach Economic Development Committee who sits on the newly formed board of directors of what will be called the Newport Beach Film Festival.
ENTERTAINMENT
September 8, 1999 | ALLISON COHEN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The Newport Beach International Film Festival, dogged for most of its four years by foul-ups and poor attendance, has gone out of business. Co-founder Jeffrey S. Conner filed a petition for Chapter 7 bankruptcy Sept. 1 in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Santa Ana, seeking to liquidate the festival business. Conner listed assets of $10,960 and debts of $191,900. The festival's annual budget has been estimated at as much as $150,000, which organizers tried to raise through corporate sponsorships.
ENTERTAINMENT
March 25, 1999 | ZAN DUBIN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Harris Done still can't believe it. The movie house he loyally patronized as a kid, the theater with Orange County's biggest, baddest screen, is showing his first major film tonight. "I am so stunned," said Done, the Anaheim-bred director of "Storm," an action-thriller screening at the Edwards Newport Cinemas in Newport Beach, a.k.a. the Big Newport.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|