Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsJerrel L Hintergardt
IN THE NEWS

Jerrel L Hintergardt

FEATURED ARTICLES
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 10, 1989 | ERIC LICHTBLAU, Times Staff Writer
Pomona surgeon Thomas A. Gionis will stand trial in the fall along with one of the men he allegedly directed to attack ex-wife Aissa Wayne in an attempt to gain custody of their daughter, according to two rulings in court Friday. At his arraignment in Superior Court in Santa Ana, Gionis entered a plea of not guilty to charges that he masterminded the Oct. 3 attack. Judge Myron S. Brown set an Oct. 31 trial date. And at a separate hearing, Judge Robert R. Fitzgerald--over the objections of defense attorney F. Lee Bailey--decided that Gionis should be tried on assault charges along with Jerrel L. Hintergardt, 37, of Burbank.
ARTICLES BY DATE
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
November 19, 1991
Re "At Last, a Silver Lining in Black Clouds Over Kuwait," Oct. 29: Now that we have driven Iraq out of Kuwait and Kuwaiti oil fires are near extinction, one firestorm still rages. This fire burns in the hungry bellies of 1 million Iraqi children; 900,000 children are malnourished and suffering. This unnatural inferno can be extinguished by eliminating its cause--the non-military sanctions. Otherwise we are guilty of Holocaust II.
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 6, 1989 | KENNETH T. YAMADA, Times Staff Writer
A second defendant was ordered Friday to stand trial for an assault last year on John Wayne's daughter, Aissa, and financier Roger W. Luby. Municipal Judge Russell A. Bostrom ordered a trial for Jerrel L. Hintergardt, 37, of Burbank, who is accused of participating in the Oct. 3, 1988, attack in which Wayne was beaten and Luby suffered a severed Achilles' tendon. If convicted, Hintergardt could be sentenced to 11 years in prison. Hintergardt joins Pomona orthopedic surgeon Thomas A. Gionis, 35, Wayne's former husband, who was ordered last month to stand trial in the attack.
NEWS
December 21, 1990 | From a Times Staff Writer
A mistrial was declared Thursday in the case of Dr. Thomas A. Gionis, a physician charged with ordering an assault on his ex-wife, the daughter of the late actor John Wayne. Deputy Dist. Atty. Christopher J. Evans said that because nine of the 12 jurors voted for conviction, he intends to prosecute Gionis again. "It shows I am still innocent," Gionis said after the deadlock.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 28, 1989 | JERRY HICKS
A Superior Court judge Friday rejected arguments that John Wayne's name is so legendary in Orange County that the men accused of assaulting his daughter and her boyfriend could not get a fair trial here. "Everybody in the U.S. knows John Wayne," said Judge Leonard H. McBride. "A celebrity's notoriety is not necessarily carried over to his offspring." The change-of-venue motion was made by lawyers for Thomas A.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 25, 1989 | TYLER L. CHIN, Times Staff Writer
The parts of a bomb were found in the home of the man charged with the slashing attack last year on Aissa Wayne and a companion, prosecutors said Friday. Police found plastic caps, potassium nitrate, clay, shrapnel and a book detailing how to make bombs in Jerrel L. Hintergardt's apartment before his arrest March 17, Deputy Dist. Atty. Christopher J. Evans said. The disclosure came in court Friday as Evans successfully opposed a motion by Hintergardt's attorney to reduce his $1-million bail.
NEWS
March 20, 1989 | BILL BILLITER, Times Staff Writer
A suspect in the brutal assault last October of Aissa Wayne, daughter of the late actor John Wayne, and her financier boyfriend, Roger Luby, has been arrested, it was learned Sunday. Orange County Jail records showed that Jerrel L. Hintergardt, 37, was arrested Friday by Newport Beach police for investigation of criminal conspiracy, assault with a deadly weapon, assault on a person with a firearm, and force or violence on a witness.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 1, 1990 | JERRY HICKS, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The lawyer for Jerrel L. Hintergardt, accused of beating up John Wayne's daughter and her former boyfriend on her ex-husband's behalf, told jurors Monday that his client wasn't present when the attack occurred, even though both victims and two accused co-conspirators have identified him. In an opening statement, defense attorney Todd A. Landgren said Hintergardt, 38, was having work done on an artificial foot when the Oct. 3, 1988, daytime attack on Aissa Wayne and financier Roger W.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 20, 1989 | JIM CARLTON, Times Staff Writer
A Beverly Hills private investigator hired to trail John Wayne's daughter in a custody dispute acted as a "free agent" in orchestrating a brutal attack against her, defense attorney F. Lee Bailey argued in court Wednesday. Bailey, representing Dr. Thomas A. Gionis on charges of masterminding the Oct. 3 assault on Aissa Wayne and her then-boyfriend, Roger W. Luby, portrayed private investigator O. Daniel Gal as "easily offended" and having "a red hot temper." Hearing in Third Day Gionis had retained Gal to monitor the activities of Wayne, his ex-wife, during a 7-month period last year when their battle for custody of an infant daughter, Anastasia, was proceeding through Orange County Superior Court.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 14, 1989 | RICHARD BEENE, Times Staff Writer
A Century City private investigator who allegedly hired two men to rough up John Wayne's daughter and her companion has been arrested in Switzerland, Newport Beach police said Thursday. O. Daniel Gal, 32, was arrested by Swiss police earlier this week on a provisional warrant issued by Interpol, the international police agency. Newport Beach authorities said Gal would be brought back to California within 60 days to face charges of criminal conspiracy to commit assault with a deadly weapon.
NEWS
December 21, 1990 | JERRY HICKS and SONNI EFRON, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
A mistrial was declared Thursday when Superior Court jurors could not decide if Dr. Thomas A. Gionis ordered the assault on his ex-wife--daughter of the late actor John Wayne--and her Newport Beach boyfriend during a bitter child custody battle in 1988. Deputy Dist. Atty. Christopher J. Evans said afterward that with nine of the 12 jurors having voted to convict Gionis of conspiracy, he intends to prosecute the Pomona orthopedic surgeon again on the eight felony counts related to the assault.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 13, 1990 | JERRY HICKS, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Lawyers in the trial of Dr. Thomas A. Gionis delivered their closing arguments Wednesday, differing sharply about the importance of defense evidence that the doctor was with a client at a time when the prosecution contends that he was on the phone ordering the assault of his ex-wife, Aissa Wayne. The three-week trial has been filled with dramatic testimony about the attack on Wayne, the 34-year-old daughter of the late actor John Wayne.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 7, 1990 | JERRY HICKS, TIMES STAFF WRITER
One of the men involved in the attack on John Wayne's daughter and her then-boyfriend two years ago testified Thursday that he did not know that his partner was going to use a knife on Luby and smash Aissa Wayne's face into a concrete floor. "We were only supposed to go in there and scare her," Jeffrey K. Bouey said. "Our plan did not call for any violence." He was the final key witness for the prosecution at the trial of Dr. Thomas A. Gionis, 37, accused of ordering the Oct.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 16, 1990 | JERRY HICKS, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Jerrel Lee Hintergardt, who stunned even his own lawyer by admitting his involvement in the 1988 assault on John Wayne's daughter and her boyfriend, was sentenced Friday to eight years in state prison, the maximum possible term. Hintergardt's attorney had told jurors last month that his client was at a Los Angeles hospital for an adjustment on his artificial foot when Aissa Wayne and financier Roger W. Luby were attacked on the morning of Oct.
NEWS
June 16, 1990
Jerrel Lee Hintergardt, who stunned even his own lawyer by admitting his involvement in the 1988 assault on John Wayne's daughter and her then-boyfriend, was sentenced Friday to eight years in state prison, the maximum possible term. Hintergardt's attorney told jurors last month that his client was at a Los Angeles hospital for an adjustment on his artificial foot when Aissa Wayne and financier Roger W. Luby were attacked the morning of Oct. 3, 1988, in the garage of Luby's Newport Beach estate.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 8, 1990 | JERRY HICKS, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Jerrel Lee Hintergardt was found guilty Monday on all eight felony counts in the attack on John Wayne's daughter Aissa Wayne and her former boyfriend in Newport Beach 19 months ago. Hintergardt, 38, of Burbank surprised law enforcement officials and even his own attorney when he admitted on the witness stand last week that he and another gunman approached Wayne and financier Roger W. Luby on Oct. 3, 1988, in the garage of Luby's estate and assaulted them.
NEWS
December 21, 1990 | JERRY HICKS and SONNI EFRON, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
A mistrial was declared Thursday when Superior Court jurors could not decide if Dr. Thomas A. Gionis ordered the assault on his ex-wife--daughter of the late actor John Wayne--and her Newport Beach boyfriend during a bitter child custody battle in 1988. Deputy Dist. Atty. Christopher J. Evans said afterward that with nine of the 12 jurors having voted to convict Gionis of conspiracy, he intends to prosecute the Pomona orthopedic surgeon again on the eight felony counts related to the assault.
NEWS
May 4, 1990 | JERRY HICKS, TIMES STAFF WRITER
In a dramatic turnaround, a Burbank man admitted on the witness stand Thursday that he led the attack on John Wayne's daughter and her former boyfriend in Newport Beach 19 months ago. Jerrel Lee Hintergardt, 38, however, denied in Orange County Superior Court that he personally beat up Aissa Wayne. He also denied the prosecution's claims that the attack was ordered by Wayne's ex-husband, Dr. Thomas A.
NEWS
May 4, 1990 | JERRY HICKS, TIMES STAFF WRITER
In a dramatic turnaround, a Burbank man admitted on the witness stand Thursday that he led an attack on John Wayne's daughter and her former boyfriend in Newport Beach 19 months ago. Jerrel Lee Hintergardt, 38, denied in Orange County Superior Court in Santa Ana, however, that he personally beat up Aissa Wayne. He also denied prosecutors' claims that the attack was ordered by Wayne's ex-husband, Dr. Thomas A.
NEWS
May 4, 1990 | JERRY HICKS, TIMES STAFF WRITER
In a dramatic turnaround, a Burbank man admitted on the witness stand Thursday that he led the attack on John Wayne's daughter and her former boyfriend in Newport Beach 19 months ago. Jerrel Lee Hintergardt, 38, however, denied in Orange County Superior Court that he personally beat up Aissa Wayne. He also denied the prosecution's claims that the attack was ordered by Wayne's ex-husband, Dr. Thomas A.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|