Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsJim Buss
IN THE NEWS

Jim Buss

SPORTS
August 10, 2012 | T.J. Simers
It wasn't too long ago that Magic Johnson looked into a TV camera and said what most Lakers fans were thinking: "Jim Buss, brother, you have a job to do. "I'm telling you right now, because if you don't do it, you're going to hear from me. " So here he was again Thursday night, Magic bursting with excitement and saying over and over again, "Wow!"
Advertisement
SPORTS
November 24, 2009 | By Mike Bresnahan
As the responsibilities get handed down from Lakers owner Jerry Buss to his son and daughter, more and more will be asked and demanded of Jim Buss . Jeanie Buss has already been given the business side of the Lakers by her father, but Jim is now entrusted with about 90% of his father's decision-making processes on the basketball personnel side, according to Jerry Buss. It's a sensible time for the shift, seeing as how the Lakers won the championship in June and are favored to win another one this season.
SPORTS
November 10, 2012 | T.J. Simers
Great news. Phil Jackson is writing another book, "Eleven Rings," but it's not scheduled to be published until next year, so there's plenty of time to change the title. And more great news as well for Devin Ebanks, who might be out celebrating for all we know. He gets arrested early Friday morning on suspicion of driving under the influence, it becomes public a few hours later but is lost moments later with the hullabaloo surrounding the dismissal of Lakers Coach Mike Brown.
SPORTS
March 20, 2014 | By Mike Bresnahan and Eric Pincus
Here's the Lakers' newest nightmare development, other than the play-so-terribly-they-miss-playoffs one they're living now. It starts with plenty of money to spend on free agents. And there's a player or two who can change a franchise. But he's also being recruited by the New York Knicks. Phil Jackson vs. the Lakers? Could easily happen. It won't be in July unless the Lakers show a renewed interest in Knicks forward Carmelo Anthony should he opt out of his contract. But next year, when Kevin Love and LaMarcus Aldridge could be available, the Knicks and Lakers will have plenty of money.
SPORTS
April 19, 2014 | By Mike Bresnahan
The six brothers and sisters, with a gap of 31 years from eldest to youngest, gathered in the winter near the first anniversary of their father's death to discuss some problems about the family business. It's also the city's treasured sports team - the Lakers. The team was nose-diving in the standings, losing the interest of fans, and grinding toward its worst season since the team moved to Los Angeles in 1960. So Jeanie Buss posed an elementary question to her siblings: What was going on with the Lakers?
SPORTS
November 10, 2012 | By Mike Bresnahan
The Lakers met with former coach Phil Jackson for preliminary talks Saturday, a feeling-out process expected to continue in coming days. Jackson got together with Lakers executives Jim Buss and Mitch Kupchak to explore the prospects of his return to the team. The Lakers believe there is a 95% certainty he will be their next coach, according to a person familiar with the situation who was not authorized to discuss it publicly. Jackson has already contacted assistant coaches who have worked with him previously about joining the Lakers' staff, according to people familiar with the situation.
SPORTS
November 13, 2012 | T.J. Simers
Phil Jackson was blindsided, and so were we. We were told on Saturday it's a 95% chance the ring master is coming back to coach, no one mentioning the 5% in the minority were apparently Jerry Buss, Jim Buss and Mitch Kupchak. The Lakers now tell us Buss, Buss and Kupchak were unanimous in opting to hire Mike D'Antoni but never say why the Unanimous Three steered away from Jackson. We know D'Antoni was atop the Lakers' wish list on Friday morning after the firing of Mike Brown, but with the understanding that Jackson had no interest in coaching again.
SPORTS
November 12, 2012 | Bill Plaschke
The new Lakers coach famously wants his players to shoot in seven seconds or less. I'm not going to require that long to list the reasons that hiring Mike D'Antoni was yet another Buss blunder. He's never taken a team to an NBA Finals. He has a losing record in the playoffs. He doesn't coach defense. His sprinting offense will be tested on a team led by aging guys who no longer sprint. And, oh yeah, he's not Phil Jackson. I'll repeat what I wrote on Friday, only now with a greater and sadder emphasis: The only way the panicky firing of Mike Brown makes even an ounce of sense is if he was immediately replaced by Jackson.
SPORTS
January 25, 2013 | By Mike Bresnahan
Thursday was a day off for the Lakers, a time to recover from an 0-3 trip after returning to Los Angeles early in the morning from Memphis. But it was a very busy day for Mike D'Antoni. The Lakers' coach was given a vote of confidence during a face-to-face meeting with Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak and Executive Vice President Jim Buss, The Times has learned. Despite a shaky start with the Lakers, D'Antoni was told to do whatever he wanted with the lineup. Buss and Kupchak support him. He was told to do whatever was best for the offense.
SPORTS
May 25, 2011 | By Broderick Turner and Mike Bresnahan
In a surprising and quick move, the Lakers ended their search for a head coach Wednesday by agreeing to hire former Cleveland Cavaliers coach Mike Brown. The decision to hire Brown, 41, to replace Phil Jackson was made mostly by Jim Buss, the team's executive vice president of player personnel who is the son of owner Jerry Buss, according to several NBA executives not authorized to speak publicly. The Lakers released a statement Wednesday saying they have met with Brown and are "impressed by him," that an agreement is "in place," but he hasn't signed a contract yet. As The Times reported Tuesday night, Brown is expected to sign a deal worth about $4.5 million a season over four years for a total of about $18 million.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|