Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsJoe Phillips
IN THE NEWS

Joe Phillips

FEATURED ARTICLES
SPORTS
September 5, 1989 | BRIAN HEWITT, Times Staff Writer
Joe Phillips, saying he could "go play right now," ended a summer-long holdout Monday night by agreeing to terms with the Chargers. The only remaining unsigned Charger is running back Gary Anderson. Phillips, 26, started all 16 regular-season games for the Chargers last year on the defensive line. He led the team with 36 quarterback hits and added two sacks.
ARTICLES BY DATE
SPORTS
November 4, 1992 | T.J. SIMERS
The Chiefs have moved defensive lineman Joe Phillips into the starting lineup just in time for the arrival of his former teammates Sunday. "They've made some adjustments defensively," Charger Coach Bobby Ross said. "They've gone from a base three-man front to a four-man front. One of the real big reasons for that has been the acquisition of Joe Phillips, who was here at San Diego."
Advertisement
SPORTS
June 25, 1991 | From Associated Press
Three men pleaded guilty Monday to beating a San Diego Charger defensive lineman in an attack so severe it caused him to miss much of last season. David James Hanna, 23; Scott Edward Stewart, 25, and Brett James Dost, 22, pleaded guilty to assault with a deadly weapon with great bodily injury. A plea bargain calls for them to spend one year in jail. Sentencing was set for July 30. The men admitted attacking Joe Phillips, a 6-foot-5, 250-pound nose tackle.
SPORTS
September 22, 1992 | DAVE McKIBBEN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The Chargers gave nose tackle Joe Phillips his freedom Monday less than two weeks after saying they would not release him until after the 1992 season. "It's a relief," Phillips said. "Maybe I'll finally get to play this year." Charger General Manager Bobby Beathard denied Phillips' release had anything to do with a claim Phillips and nine other unsigned players filed in Minneapolis last Wednesday.
SPORTS
September 9, 1992 | T.J. SIMERS, TIMES STAFF WRITER
General Manager Bobby Beathard said he has serious concerns about Joe Phillips' commitment to play football for the Chargers, but he indicated the team will probably make a contract offer to the unsigned nose tackle today. At the same time, Phillips said Tuesday that he is willing to accept the team's offer of $550,000, which was withdrawn last week, and possibly even less money, although he contended it would be a cut in pay from his 1991 earnings.
SPORTS
November 10, 1990 | T.J. SIMERS, TIMES STAFF WRITER
His eye orbit has been reconstructed with the aid of plastic and a metallic plate. It may be another month or two before his fractured nose and cheekbone have healed. But Chargers' nose tackle Joe Phillips is back to work. "This has taken enough away from me," he said. "I'm not going to let it take any more. I'm going to press on." Phillips was attacked outside a Mission Bay Restaurant in the early hours of Sept. 26, allegedly by three men.
SPORTS
April 29, 1992 | From Staff and Wire Reports
A Superior Court jury in Chula Vista found that a San Diego restaurant was partly to blame for the beating of San Diego Charger defensive lineman Joe Phillips. The jury held that operators of Saska's restaurant were negligent for failing to provide adequate security in the parking lot area were Phillips was severely beaten on Sept. 16, 1990, by three men.
SPORTS
December 12, 1990
Charger nose tackle Joe Phillips, who hasn't played since a Sept. 26 assault outside a restaurant, is locked in a bitter dispute over payment of this year's salary. Phillips, a starter the past two seasons, is recovering from severe head injuries he suffered in the beating. Phillips is on the reserve--non-football injury list. He's scheduled to earn $315,000 in base pay this year. The club's offer amounts to $157,500.
SPORTS
September 5, 1992 | Associated Press
After saying he would sit out the season if the Chargers didn't meet his terms, unsigned defensive tackle Joe Phillips, a starter since 1987, wants to play for San Diego after all. But overtures from his agent, John Adler, have been rejected by Charger General Manager Bobby Beathard. Phillips had rejected a one-year, $650,000 contract, but the Chargers reportedly would offer only $535,000 now. . . . Green Bay linebacker Brian Noble ended a 42-day holdout and signed a contract with the Packers. .
SPORTS
September 10, 1992 | T.J. SIMERS, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Charger General Manager Bobby Beathard said nose tackle Joe Phillips ignored the team's signing deadline Wednesday and as a result will not play for the team this season. He also said the team will not grant Phillips his outright release, thereby tying him to the team without the chance to play or be paid. "It's over," Beathard said, while slamming the door on any possibility of Phillips' return. "He's not coming in. He never got back to us. . . . We go without Joe Phillips this season."
SPORTS
September 9, 1992 | T.J. SIMERS, TIMES STAFF WRITER
General Manager Bobby Beathard said he has serious concerns about Joe Phillips' commitment to play football for the Chargers, but he indicated the team will probably make a contract offer to the unsigned nose tackle today. At the same time, Phillips said Tuesday that he is willing to accept the team's offer of $550,000, which was withdrawn last week, and possibly even less money, although he contended it would be a cut in pay from his 1991 earnings.
SPORTS
September 5, 1992 | T.J. SIMERS, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Unsigned nose tackle Joe Phillips, who has declined comment for the past two months, said Friday, "I desperately want to play." However, he still refused to say if he wants to play football for the Chargers. The Chargers aren't so sure they want him back. "We don't want him in here right now," General Manager Bobby Beathard said. "We're getting ready for Kansas City and we're tired of thinking about Joe Phillips.
SPORTS
September 5, 1992 | Associated Press
After saying he would sit out the season if the Chargers didn't meet his terms, unsigned defensive tackle Joe Phillips, a starter since 1987, wants to play for San Diego after all. But overtures from his agent, John Adler, have been rejected by Charger General Manager Bobby Beathard. Phillips had rejected a one-year, $650,000 contract, but the Chargers reportedly would offer only $535,000 now. . . . Green Bay linebacker Brian Noble ended a 42-day holdout and signed a contract with the Packers. .
SPORTS
September 2, 1992 | DAVE McKIBBEN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
It is beginning to look as if holdout nose tackle Joe Phillips will sit out the season rather than play with Chargers. John Adler, Phillips' agent, met with General Manager Bobby Beathard for nearly an hour Tuesday but walked away disappointed. "I really felt that we would have some movement toward getting Joe moved," Adler said. "I thought that the Chargers would make a move after the cut-downs." Adler has repeatedly asked the Chargers to trade Phillips.
SPORTS
August 6, 1992 | DAVE DISTEL
Among the questions I am most likely to be asked regarding sports in San Diego . . . What should the Padres do about Benito Santiago? (Try to sensibly sign him.) What should the Padres do about Greg Riddoch? (Trade him for Roger Clemens.) Do the Chargers have a shot at the playoffs? (In whose lifetime?) Who will win the third race at Del Mar? (Getting a tip from me is very much like shoving your money into the trash compactor.
SPORTS
August 3, 1992 | T.J. SIMERS
General Manager Bobby Beathard met with unsigned nose tackle Joe Phillips this weekend, but said he was unable to persuade him to rejoin the Chargers. "Joe said he would rather sit out the season than play here," Beathard said. "He said he just wants a change in scenery. "I told him we might make a trade or we might let him sit all season. He said he understood."
SPORTS
July 31, 1992 | T.J. SIMERS, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Stop if you've heard this one before: Unhappy key performer demands trade; Chargers oblige. Jim Lachey. Chip Banks. Gary Anderson. Lee Williams. Joe Phillips? Phillips' agent, John Adler, said Thursday that his client wants to finish his playing days in another city. He said the Chargers' immediate rejection of Phillips' one-year demand for $1.12 million triggered Phillips' request for a trade, but it is not the sole reason for his unhappiness.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|