Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsJohnson Products Co
IN THE NEWS

Johnson Products Co

FEATURED ARTICLES
ARTICLES BY DATE
BUSINESS
June 15, 1993 | GEORGE WHITE, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Johnson Products Co., a hair care goods manufacturer that ranks among the nation's largest black-owned companies, said Monday that it has agreed to be acquired by pharmaceuticals producer Ivax Corp. in a transaction valued at between $61 million and $73 million. The buyout is considered a milestone in the entrepreneurial history of African-Americans because it involves one of the nation's most successful, high-profile black manufacturers.
Advertisement
BUSINESS
June 15, 1993 | GEORGE WHITE, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Johnson Products Co., a hair care goods manufacturer that ranks among the nation's largest black-owned companies, said Monday that it has agreed to be acquired by pharmaceuticals producer Ivax Corp. in a transaction valued at between $61 million and $73 million. The buyout is considered a milestone in the entrepreneurial history of African-Americans because it involves one of the nation's most successful, high-profile black manufacturers.
BUSINESS
June 26, 1991 | From Times Staff and Wire Reports
Johnson Withdraws Buyout Offer: The family that controls Johnson Products Co., the second-largest maker of black hair-care items, said it has dropped plans to take the company private in a $20.6-million buyout. The Chicago-based firm late last month offered $17.25 for each of Johnson Products 1.2 million outstanding shares. The shares represent 39% of Johnson's stock, with the remaining 61% owned by Chairwoman Joan B. Johnson, who founded the company with her former husband 37 years ago.
NEWS
October 24, 1986
The Johnson & Johnson Baby Products Co. will recall three soft crib toys that could pose a strangulation threat to infants, the Consumer Product Safety Commission announced. The action involves Soft Triplets, Piglet Crib Gym and Triplets Marching Band, the commission reported. The company said it will refund the price of the toys as part of a consent agreement settling a complaint filed May 30 by the commission.
BUSINESS
April 1, 2009 | Andrea Chang
Procter & Gamble Co. has sold Johnson Products Co., its African American hair-care products unit, to a local group of private investors including a husband-and-wife team. Terms of the deal, announced Tuesday, weren't disclosed. Founded in 1954, Johnson Products has sales of more than $23 million a year. The company, whose brands include Gentle Treatment and Ultra Sheen, offers more than 30 hair-care products. Buyer RCJP Acquisition Inc.
BUSINESS
October 4, 1989 | From Associated Press
George E. and Joan B. Johnson started one of the nation's largest black-owned companies together with $250 in 1954, but the family ties that bound the company and the couple have come undone. Johnson signed the company chairmanship and the bulk of its shares over to her this week in their divorce settlement. Johnson Products Co. makes hair care and cosmetic products under such brand names as Gentle-Treatment, Ultra Sheen and Classy Curl.
NEWS
December 31, 1989 | SARAH NORDGREN, ASSOCIATED PRESS
Bill Pinkney wants to sail the world on winds that carry dreams of hope back to schoolchildren in some of Chicago's poorest neighborhoods. But months after his scheduled departure, the boat he will sail remains at dock. "The worst seas I'll face are the ones I'm facing right now, being this close and having it not happen," said Pinkney, 54, who hopes to become the first black to sail solo around-the-world via the treacherous waters off the Cape of Good Hope.
NEWS
June 3, 1986 | United Press International
The federal government announced Monday that it has filed a complaint to force Johnson & Johnson to recall 1.6 million crib toys that have been blamed in the deaths of two infants, and it warned parents to remove the toys from cribs immediately.
BUSINESS
May 10, 1988 | Associated Press
The nation's largest black-owned companies are restructuring to face competition and an uncertain economy, according to a new survey released Monday by Black Enterprise magazine. The magazine's latest annual survey of the top 100 black industrial and service companies shows that, like many U.S. companies in general, leading black businesses are exploring new approaches in order to be competitive.
NEWS
May 3, 1985 | LEE MAY, Times Staff Writer
Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan said Thursday that Libyan strongman Moammar Kadafi is giving him a $5-million interest-free loan to help him start a "self-contained economic system" for blacks in America, the Caribbean and Africa. Farrakhan said in an interview that he will use the money, part of which has already been delivered, to start a marketing organization called POWER (People Organized and Working for Economic Rebirth).
Los Angeles Times Articles
|