Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsJonathan Vilma
IN THE NEWS

Jonathan Vilma

FEATURED ARTICLES
SPORTS
August 6, 2012 | By Chuck Schilken
New Orleans Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma may or may not have a settlement offer from the NFL for a reduced suspension if he drops his lawsuit against Commissioner Roger Goodell. It depends on whose anonymous source you choose to believe. Vilma has been suspended for the all of the 2012 season for his alleged involvement in a bounty program. He has filed a civil lawsuit against Goodell for defamation of character. Citing "sources familiar with the discussions," ESPN is reporting that late last week the league made an offer to reduce Vilma's suspension to eight games as part of court-ordered settlement talks between the NFL, theNFL Players Assn.
ARTICLES BY DATE
SPORTS
November 6, 2013 | Wire reports
Jonathan Vilma's season is over and his future on the football field is in doubt. The New Orleans Saints placed Vilma to injured reserve, ending his season - and possibly his career - only three days after he had returned for his first game of this season. Vilma began the season on short-term injured reserve because of an arthroscopic procedure in August on his left knee, which has troubled him through multiple surgeries over two-plus seasons. The designation allowed the 10th-year linebacker to return to the active roster in Week 9. Vilma was activated Saturday and played 12 defensive snaps in a 26-20 loss to his former team, the New York Jets, on Sunday.
Advertisement
SPORTS
May 18, 2012
Writers from around the Tribune Co. will discuss the NFL's one-year suspension of New Orleans linebacker Jonathan Vilma for his alleged role in the Saints' bounty program. Check back throughout the day for their responses and join the conversation by voting in the poll and leaving a comment of your own. Sam Farmer, Los Angeles Times The suspension of Jonathan Vilma was not too severe if in fact he offered $10,000 bounties to any teammate who took out Kurt Warner or Brett Favre.
NEWS
October 24, 2012 | By Chuck Schilken
The NFL Players Assn. said it will file a motion Wednesday in U.S. District Court in New Orleans asking that Paul Tagliabue recuse himself from hearing the appeals of the four players suspended in the Saints bounty scandal. In a statement, the NFLPA said Tagliabue's involvement is a conflict of interest because the former NFL commissioner works for a law firm that has handled bounty-related matters for the league, and represented current Commissioner Roger Goodell in a defamation lawsuit by one of the four players, Jonathan Vilma.
SPORTS
July 30, 2012
Writers from around the Tribune Co. are discussing whether or not the New Orleans Saints' Jonathan Vilma might see the field this season after receiving a year-long suspension for his alleged role in a bounty program. Check back throughout the day for their responses and feel free to join the discussion with a comment of your own. Sam Farmer, Los Angeles Times There's certainly a chance that Jonathan Vilma could obtain a legal order forcing the NFL to lift the suspension, at least temporarily.
SPORTS
July 21, 2012 | Wire reports
New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees defended teammate Jonathan Vilma in a court document filed Saturday to support Vilma's fight against the NFL over his season-long suspension. The affidavit was entered in federal court in New Orleans as evidence for Vilma's motion to dismiss the 2012 suspension imposed by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell , for the linebacker's alleged involvement in a program offering bonuses to players who injure opponents. Vilma has sued Goodell, claiming defamation.
SPORTS
November 6, 2013 | Wire reports
Jonathan Vilma's season is over and his future on the football field is in doubt. The New Orleans Saints placed Vilma to injured reserve, ending his season - and possibly his career - only three days after he had returned for his first game of this season. Vilma began the season on short-term injured reserve because of an arthroscopic procedure in August on his left knee, which has troubled him through multiple surgeries over two-plus seasons. The designation allowed the 10th-year linebacker to return to the active roster in Week 9. Vilma was activated Saturday and played 12 defensive snaps in a 26-20 loss to his former team, the New York Jets, on Sunday.
SPORTS
September 18, 2012 | Wire services
The NFL presented Jonathan Vilma and his attorney with a sworn statement from former Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams saying the linebacker placed a $10,000 bounty on Brett Favre. Vilma met with Commissioner Roger Goodell on Monday in New York about his suspension, which has been temporarily lifted. Attorney Peter Ginsberg said they were given an affidavit at the meeting. "What Gregg Williams said in his most recent affidavit is the same falsity he has previously provided," Ginsberg said.
SPORTS
September 7, 2012 | By Sam Farmer
Two days before the start of their season, the New Orleans Saints have already notched a major victory. The suspensions of four players involved in the alleged bounty program have been lifted by a three-person arbitration panel, meaning the banned players are free to return. The ruling does not lift the suspensions of the coaches, so Saints Coach Sean Payton is still out for the year, linebackers coach Joe Vitt will sit out the first six games, and former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams is still banned indefinitely.
SPORTS
October 9, 2012 | By Sam Farmer, This post has been corrected. See below for details.
The NFL handed out modified suspensions Tuesday to four players involved in the New Orleans Saints' alleged bounty program. Linebacker Scott Fujita, who now plays for Cleveland, saw his suspension reduced from three games to one. The suspension of defensive lineman Anthony Hargrove, now a free agent, was reduced from eight games to seven. There is no change to the suspension of Saints defensive lineman Will Smith, who is still banned for four games. And linebacker Jonathan Vilma is still out for the season, although the league says he can keep the pay he earned for his six weeks on the physically unable to perform list.
SPORTS
October 21, 2012 | By Dan Loumena
Not all is well with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell's appointment of predecessor Paul Tagliabue as the appeals officer in the Saints bounties case. According to one report, the players union might challenge the move. The reason? A conflict of interest. Tagliabue is working for the legal firm representing the NFL in a U.S. District Court case in New Orleans regarding the bounties program. Barry Wilner of the Associated Press reported that a source familiar with the matter said the NFLPA has concerns about "ethical and legal" concerns with Tagliabue hearing the appeals Oct. 30 for the four players who were suspended -- Jonathan Vilma, Scott Fujita, Anthony Hargrove and Will Smith.
SPORTS
October 19, 2012 | By Dan Loumena
NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell is stepping aside in the Saints bounty case appeals process and turning it over to former commissioner Paul Tagliabue. Tagliabue will hear the second set of appeals from four players -- Jonathan Vilma, Will Smith, Scott Fujita and Anthony Hargrove -- who were penalized for their roles in an alleged program that rewarded teammates for injuring or knocking opponents out of games. The player suspensions ran from a full season for Vilma to parts of the season for the others.
SPORTS
October 9, 2012 | By Sam Farmer, This post has been corrected. See below for details.
The NFL handed out modified suspensions Tuesday to four players involved in the New Orleans Saints' alleged bounty program. Linebacker Scott Fujita, who now plays for Cleveland, saw his suspension reduced from three games to one. The suspension of defensive lineman Anthony Hargrove, now a free agent, was reduced from eight games to seven. There is no change to the suspension of Saints defensive lineman Will Smith, who is still banned for four games. And linebacker Jonathan Vilma is still out for the season, although the league says he can keep the pay he earned for his six weeks on the physically unable to perform list.
SPORTS
September 18, 2012 | Wire services
The NFL presented Jonathan Vilma and his attorney with a sworn statement from former Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams saying the linebacker placed a $10,000 bounty on Brett Favre. Vilma met with Commissioner Roger Goodell on Monday in New York about his suspension, which has been temporarily lifted. Attorney Peter Ginsberg said they were given an affidavit at the meeting. "What Gregg Williams said in his most recent affidavit is the same falsity he has previously provided," Ginsberg said.
SPORTS
September 7, 2012 | By Sam Farmer
Two days before the start of their season, the New Orleans Saints have already notched a major victory. The suspensions of four players involved in the alleged bounty program have been lifted by a three-person arbitration panel, meaning the banned players are free to return. The ruling does not lift the suspensions of the coaches, so Saints Coach Sean Payton is still out for the year, linebackers coach Joe Vitt will sit out the first six games, and former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams is still banned indefinitely.
SPORTS
August 6, 2012 | By Chuck Schilken
New Orleans Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma may or may not have a settlement offer from the NFL for a reduced suspension if he drops his lawsuit against Commissioner Roger Goodell. It depends on whose anonymous source you choose to believe. Vilma has been suspended for the all of the 2012 season for his alleged involvement in a bounty program. He has filed a civil lawsuit against Goodell for defamation of character. Citing "sources familiar with the discussions," ESPN is reporting that late last week the league made an offer to reduce Vilma's suspension to eight games as part of court-ordered settlement talks between the NFL, theNFL Players Assn.
NEWS
October 24, 2012 | By Chuck Schilken
The NFL Players Assn. said it will file a motion Wednesday in U.S. District Court in New Orleans asking that Paul Tagliabue recuse himself from hearing the appeals of the four players suspended in the Saints bounty scandal. In a statement, the NFLPA said Tagliabue's involvement is a conflict of interest because the former NFL commissioner works for a law firm that has handled bounty-related matters for the league, and represented current Commissioner Roger Goodell in a defamation lawsuit by one of the four players, Jonathan Vilma.
SPORTS
October 21, 2012 | By Dan Loumena
Not all is well with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell's appointment of predecessor Paul Tagliabue as the appeals officer in the Saints bounties case. According to one report, the players union might challenge the move. The reason? A conflict of interest. Tagliabue is working for the legal firm representing the NFL in a U.S. District Court case in New Orleans regarding the bounties program. Barry Wilner of the Associated Press reported that a source familiar with the matter said the NFLPA has concerns about "ethical and legal" concerns with Tagliabue hearing the appeals Oct. 30 for the four players who were suspended -- Jonathan Vilma, Scott Fujita, Anthony Hargrove and Will Smith.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|