Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsJose Diaz Vargas
IN THE NEWS

Jose Diaz Vargas

FEATURED ARTICLES
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 13, 1993 | GREG HERNANDEZ, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The first time a teen-age Jose Vargas tried to cross the U.S. border in the early 1950s, he was pulled from a train by immigration agents and landed face down in the mud. "I tried to run away so they pulled me out of the train," he recalled. "They handcuffed me, I had no shoes and it was freezing cold. I was mad because I thought, 'All this work for nothing.'
ARTICLES BY DATE
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 13, 1993 | GREG HERNANDEZ, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The first time a teen-age Jose Vargas tried to cross the U.S. border in the early 1950s, he was pulled from a train by immigration agents and landed face down in the mud. "I tried to run away so they pulled me out of the train," he recalled. "They handcuffed me, I had no shoes and it was freezing cold. I was mad because I thought, 'All this work for nothing.'
Advertisement
NEWS
December 27, 1989 | From Times Staff and Wire Service Reports
Five Latinos who contended that they were harassed by uniformed guards at polling places last year announced today that they will accept $400,000 to settle their civil rights lawsuit against Republican Assemblyman Curt Pringle and the county Republican Party, who posted the guards. The announcement marks the end of the federal lawsuit that had been scheduled for trial Jan. 16. The defendants disclosed the settlement Friday, but it was not final until the plaintiffs formally approved it.
NEWS
December 23, 1989 | CATHERINE GEWERTZ, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Republican Assemblyman Curt Pringle, the Orange County Republican Party and others who infuriated Latinos and Democrats by posting uniformed guards at polling places last year agreed Friday to pay $400,000 to settle a civil rights lawsuit against them. But lawyers for the six Latino voters who filed the federal lawsuit said they have not signed the proposed settlement.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 23, 1989 | CATHERINE GEWERTZ, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Republican Assemblyman Curt Pringle, the county Republican Party and others who infuriated Latinos and Democrats by posting uniformed guards at polling places last year agreed Friday to pay $400,000 to settle a civil rights lawsuit against them. But lawyers for the six Latino voters who filed the federal lawsuit said they have not signed the proposed settlement.
NEWS
December 28, 1989
Five Latinos announced Wednesday that they have accepted $400,000 to settle their lawsuit against Republican officials who posted uniformed guards at predominantly Latino polling places in Santa Ana last year.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
November 19, 1988 | CLAUDIA LUTHER, Times Political Writer
A lawsuit was filed Friday in U.S. District Court in Santa Ana on behalf of five Santa Ana Latinos, who said they were harassed and intimidated by uniformed security guards as they voted last Election Day. The suit, which was announced earlier this week, asks the court to overturn the results of the hotly contested 72nd Assembly District race won by Republican Curt Pringle by just 867 votes.
NEWS
January 14, 1997 | DON LEE, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Two distraught couples stood waiting for him one early morning last fall outside his cubbyhole in Santa Ana City Hall. "Are you Jose Vargas? Are you the man whose picture is in the newspaper? We have something to tell you about this place that took our money," the new immigrants said. They explained in Spanish how an employment agency had charged them and dozens of others $40 but provided no jobs. Officer Vargas dispensed with the police report.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 29, 2000 | AGUSTIN GURZA
When Jose Vargas arrived at the small Mexican village in search of his Indian ancestry, he left his police badge in the car. A tin plaque would be of no use to him in this poor, out-of-the-way place with its own language, laws and way of life. Being a Santa Ana cop for the past 25 years may have earned him respect among his fellow immigrants, many of whom actually consider him their police chief.
NEWS
December 28, 1989 | CATHERINE GEWERTZ, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Five Latino voters announced Wednesday they have accepted $400,000 to settle their lawsuit against Republican officials who posted uniformed guards at polling places last year, and they revealed documents that they said prove that the Republicans had intended to intimidate Latino voters. The evidence released at a morning press conference included a deposition from Assemblyman John R. Lewis (R-Orange), who told attorneys he once joked with county Republican chairman Thomas A.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|