September 12, 2013 |
"MasterChef" crowned Luca Manfe its Season 4 winner, proof that nice guys don't always finish last. Or maybe it was proof that the world will conspire to make sure mean girls don't finish first. It was East Coast versus West Coast as Luca, the restaurant manager from New York City, took on Natasha Crnjac, the homemaker from San Diego. But this being reality TV and all, the face-off was about so much more. It was TV nice guy versus TV villainess. The cameras played up Luca and his happy-go-lucky style, along with his endearing fresh-off-the-boat-from-Italy accent, while also homing in on Natasha's penchant for talking smack about her competitors while rarely missing an opportunity to talk about her own talents (or her own pretty looks)
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
September 27, 2009 |
With seven children to care for and a caseload that quadrupled this past year, U.S. District Judge Stephen G. Larson says he can no longer afford his prestigious lifetime appointment. The 44-year-old, named to the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California less than four years ago, is the latest defection in an accelerating nationwide trend toward leaving the federal bench long before retirement age to earn more money in private practice. Vacancies in the federal judiciary are mounting, and too few of the best legal minds are stepping forward to replace them, judicial analysts say. They attribute what they see as a troubling phenomenon to Congress' failure for nearly two decades to pass a significant pay increase for federal judges or to expand their numbers to handle a soaring caseload.
August 9, 2013 |
What is a “scapegoat”? “Jeopardy!” host Alex Trebek has clarified a controversial decision on the long-running game show that sparked angry responses last week. Trebek became the unlikely target of scorn after a controversial decision regarding a final Jeopardy answer from Thomas Hurley, a Newtown, Conn., eighth-grader who was participating in the show's Kids Week competition. Hurley and his fellow contestants were asked to name the 1863 document Abraham Lincoln said was a "fit and necessary war measure.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 23, 2000
Shawn Hubler's statement in her Feb. 17 column that only 7% of the judges appointed by Govs. George Deukmejian and Pete Wilson had experience as public defenders is quite misleading, as it gives the impression that the other 93% had prosecutorial backgrounds. The judges who make up the Los Angeles Superior Court come from a wide variety of legal disciplines, such as civil, family law, private defense practices and corporate staff attorneys, as well as from U.S. district and city attorneys' offices.
September 11, 2012 |
Christine Ha said she wanted to be taken seriously on "MasterChef. " As the show's only sight-impaired competitor -- and, indeed, the one and only blind competitor in the history of reality TV cooking shows -- she didn't want to be a fluke, or an oddity, or a competitor who would be pitied for her "handicap. " But she did want to win. And win she did. But did she deserve it? VIDEO: Fall TV Preview Christine scored the Season 3 title of best home cook in America, as well as a $250,000 grand prize and a cookbook over Josh Marks in a hard-fought battle.
June 2, 2010 |
These days our civic conversation is dominated by declarations rather than argument, by assertion as opposed to evidence. It is, for example, routinely asserted in some quarters that religion and its values are everywhere under siege and that believers are continually discriminated against in public life. In fact, we are, as a people, more God-besotted than at any time in our recent history. America is the only country in the developed world in which a large majority continues to profess belief in a supreme being; slightly more than half our people are formally affiliated with a church, which also is anomalous among advanced nations.