October 6, 1990
I for one am getting sick and tired of reading about Junior Seau in the sports section. Next to Bosworth, he is the biggest jerk to come into the NFL in the last decade. What a shame it is that idiot loudmouths such as he are getting paid more for one season than real linebackers such as Bednarik, Butkus, Nitschke and Huff combined made in their careers. Seau as a linebacker couldn't carry the jockstrap of any of the above onto an NFL field. I doubt whether he knows an end run from a drop kick.
May 9, 2012 |
Former NFL receiver Cris Carter says he put "bounties" on opposing players when he played in the league. Carter made the admission Tuesday night on "Hill and Schlereth," a show on ESPN Radio. "I put bounties on guys," Carter said. "If a guy tries to take me out, a guy takes a cheap shot on me? I put a bounty on him right now!" Carter said the big difference between what he did and what the New Orleans Saints did in their bounty system is that Carter didn't want opponents injured.
August 22, 1990 |
San Diego Chargers General Manager Bobby Beathard says the club will make a final offer today to its first-round draft pick, linebacker Junior Seau. A deadline for accepting the proposal also will be imposed, Beathard said, after which the value of the deal will be reduced. "It's up to him to make a decision," Beathard said of Seau, the club's only unsigned player. Even if he signs this week, Beathard does not think Seau will have enough time to get ready for the Sept. 9 season opener at Dallas.
February 5, 1990 |
USC defensive lineman Junior Seau, who is expected to forgo his final year of eligibility to turn pro, will meet with Coach Larry Smith this morning. Sources close to Seau, the Pacific 10 Conference defensive player of the year last season, said he was ready to make the announcement last week. However, they said that Smith persuaded him to wait until after a scheduled meeting between the NFL and NCAA to set new draft guidelines.
July 25, 1990 |
The San Diego Chargers' first-round draft pick, USC linebacker Junior Seau, has lowered his contract demands by about $100,000 a year, Seau's agent said. Charger General Manager Bobby Beathard, however, was still unimpressed. "It's still something we couldn't consider," Beathard said Tuesday. "In that area of money they are talking about, there's really no sense for us to change our offer. I know they aren't going to sign for our offer, but we can't get the deal done where he's at now."
August 30, 1997
San Diego Charger linebacker Junior Seau didn't make the trip Friday for the season opener at New England on Sunday. Seau underwent arthroscopic surgery Aug. 4 to repair torn cartilage in his left knee. He returned to practice Wednesday. This will be only the third game Seau has sat out because of injury in eight seasons. * Glenn Parker, an offensive lineman who played in four Super Bowls with the Buffalo Bills, has signed a three-year contract with the Kansas City Chiefs. . . .
February 8, 1990 |
Junior Seau, USC's junior linebacker, is scheduled to meet with Coach Larry Smith today to tell him he intends to be available for the National Football League draft, Seau's legal adviser said Wednesday. Steve Feldman of Costa Mesa said Seau "absolutely" will go through the draft, rather than return to USC for his senior season.
December 14, 1989 |
Mark Carrier said Wednesday that he will stay at USC for his senior season of football, and while Junior Seau is undecided, he said he is also inclined to remain in school. Carrier, a consensus All-American strong safety, and Seau, an outside linebacker and the Pacific 10 defensive player of the year, have been considering making themselves available for the NFL draft in April. NFL observers say they would be first-round choices if they forsake their final year of eligibility.
October 26, 1992 |
Junior Seau was gimping. Junior Seau was limping. Junior Seau could hardly walk. However, Junior Seau could run. Don't tell him his groin injury was going to keep him out of that football game Sunday against the Denver Broncos. Don't tell him for a second. Don't tell him for a play. And don't try telling John Elway and Co. how badly Seau was injured and how much he was hobbled. Seau did not make the headline plays, the interceptions.
January 31, 2013 |
Rodney Harrison, the former all-pro safety for the San Diego Chargers and New England Patriots, said he's scared for his future after sustaining numerous concussions during his playing days. "I'm scared to death," Harrison said in an interview with NBC's Bob Costas. "I have four kids, I have a beautiful wife and I'm scared to death what might happen to me 10 or 15 years from now. " Harrison estimates that he suffered at least 20 concussions during his 15-year NFL career.