Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsJuvenile Court
IN THE NEWS

Juvenile Court

CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 20, 2013 | By Hailey Branson-Potts
Marcus Bell knows how important Los Angeles County courts are for at-risk youth. Bell, a gang intervention and prevention worker in South Los Angeles, has worked hard with young people, trying to get them to not run from police. He's worked with them to get into the courts when they have legal issues, to deal with them responsibly instead of not showing up and having warrants issued at a young age. On Saturday, Bell said he worries about the Los Angeles County Superior Court's cost-cutting plan that includes the closure of the Kenyon Juvenile Justice Center.
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 15, 2013 | By Maria L. La Ganga and Kate Mather, Los Angeles Times
SAN JOSE - Audrie Pott thought everybody at her high school knew what happened that night. The 15-year-old had been drinking during a Labor Day weekend party at a friend's house in the pricey Silicon Valley suburb of Saratoga. She either fell asleep or passed out. And she woke up to something her family's lawyer described as "unimaginable. " "There were some markings on her body, in some sort of permanent marker, indicating that someone had violated her when she was sleeping," attorney Robert Allard said Monday.
NATIONAL
January 30, 2013 | By Tina Susman
Two high school athletes charged with raping a 16-year-old girl in a case that has gained national attention for the role social media played in exposing the incident will face trial in open court, a judge ruled Wednesday, rejecting requests it be closed to the public and media. Judge Thomas Lipps also refused defense motions seeking to move the trial out of Steubenville, Ohio, to another county, but he did agree to delay its start one month, until March 13. On that day, Trent Mays and Ma'Lik Richmond, both 16, are to go on trial in juvenile court for the alleged rape of the girl, who witnesses and prosecutors say was too drunk to speak coherently or stand up on her own. During some of the alleged assault at a high school party last August, the girl was unconscious, according to witnesses who testified at a hearing in October to determine whether there was sufficient evidence to press charges.
WORLD
January 24, 2013 | By Mark Magnier
NEW DELHI -- Minutes after the suspects were whisked past reporters into a closed court, the high-profile trial of five men accused of the rape and murder of a 23-year old physiotherapy student opened Thursday. The woman and her 28-year-old male friend, both officially unnamed, were attacked last month after they watched the film "Life of Pi" in a glitzy shopping mall and boarded what they assumed was an ordinary commuter bus heading home. The curtains were then reportedly drawn and the two victims were beaten with metal rods.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 14, 2013 | By Phil Willon, Los Angeles Times
A Riverside County judge on Monday found a 12-year-old boy responsible for murdering his neo-Nazi father, taking a swipe at both the family and social workers for failing to protect the troubled youngster before he felt compelled to reach for a gun. "There were so many warning signs," Superior Court Judge Jean P. Leonard said from the bench. But the judge said the evidence showed that the Riverside boy, who was 10 years old when he pulled the trigger, possessed the mental capacity to know that killing his father was wrong.
OPINION
July 13, 2012
Re "Punishing parents, unfairly," Editorial, July 10 Thank you for speaking out against the unjust decision by the California Supreme Court in the case of William C., a father who had his children taken from him after his 18-month-old child, whom he was driving to the hospital, was killed in a car accident. The child was sitting on a relative's lap because a car seat was not readily available. The Times supported the opening of L.A.'s dependency courts to the public.
OPINION
February 12, 2012
Judge Michael Nash, who presides over the Los Angeles County Juvenile Court, has long argued that public access to the court's proceedings would improve its accountability and the accountability of those who appear before it. Last week, he set out to prove it. Nash, along with this page, had supported state legislation that would change the presumption that dependency court hearings, in which the fate of children in foster care is decided, should...
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 1, 2012 | By Garrett Therolf, Los Angeles Times
Los Angeles County Juvenile Court will be opened to press coverage regularly, with certain exceptions intended to protect the interests of children, under an order issued Tuesday by the court's presiding judge. FOR THE RECORD: Juvenile Court: In the LATExtra sections of Feb. 1 and Feb. 8, articles about a decision to open Los Angeles County children's courts to reporters erred in some instances in headlines and in text by referring to access by media. The order by Judge Michael Nash specified that those courtrooms be open to the press.
OPINION
November 28, 2011 | By Marcy Valenzuela
Juvenile dependency courts exist to protect children and youths who have been neglected and abused, so it's shocking that the presiding judge who oversees the Los Angeles County Superior Court's juvenile division is pushing a plan that puts foster children and youths at risk of further harm. If Judge Michael Nash's order stands, vulnerable children, youths and their families, who are already dealing with painful consequences of neglect and abuse, would face the additional burden of proving why the most intimate details of their lives should be kept private.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
November 21, 2011 | By Garrett Therolf, Los Angeles Times
Dozens of foster children and attorneys protested Monday outside Los Angeles County's Edelman Children's Court in opposition to the proposed opening of juvenile dependency hearings to the public. Currently, members of the media and public are barred from entering dependency courtrooms without court permission. But Judge Michael Nash proposed a blanket order this month that would make the hearings open unless someone objects and a judge decides to close the proceeding. Lucias Bouge, a 19-year-old former foster youth opposed to Nash's proposal, said: "Kids laughed at me because of the way I talked, because my family was poor and because I was different from everybody else.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|