Advertisement
 
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsKidnapings Los Angeles
IN THE NEWS

Kidnapings Los Angeles

CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 7, 1994 | THOM MROZEK, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A Woodland Hills man charged with kidnaping his ex-girlfriend and beating and raping her for three days admits he struck the woman with a metal bar, but not so severely that it should be considered torture, his defense attorney said. Attorney Harland Braun, representing Michael Kyung Lim, said Tuesday that the beatings with a metal bar were "a boyfriend-girlfriend fight that got completely out of control."
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 11, 1993 | JEFF SCHNAUFER
A Superior Court judge sentenced a Kern County man to three years probation for the attempted kidnaping of a Canoga Park woman who was accidentally shot and killed by her husband in a rescue attempt. Joe A. Yohn, 27, of Rosamond was granted the probation in connection with the death in July of Linda Jane Corum, 52. Van Nuys Superior Court Judge Leon Kaplan also ordered Yohn to stay away from the victim's family and neighborhood and forbade him to carry firearms.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 20, 1991 | MACK REED, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A psychologist testified Thursday that Gregory Scott Smith's kidnap, rape and murder of 8-year-old Paul Bailly of Northridge had all the earmarks of premeditated sexual sadism. Christopher Hatcher, a San Francisco expert in child abduction cases, testified in Smith's penalty trial in Ventura County Superior Court that evidence in Paul's death resembles evidence in dozens of other child slayings that he has analyzed.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
September 5, 1987 | RENE M. ROMO, Times Staff Writer
Salvador Galindo was at a Sears store in East Los Angeles when he made a costly mistake, telling a salesman in a voice loud enough for others to hear that he would be back to buy furniture with some of the $8,000 he had in a nearby bank. Galindo, 73, explained that his wife had been asking him for weeks to buy a new living room set for their Montebello home.
NEWS
October 3, 1991 | JOHN J. GOLDMAN and ERIC MALNIC, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
Two young brothers kidnaped six weeks ago were reunited with their parents in Los Angeles Wednesday evening after a cross-country flight from New York, where they were found at John F. Kennedy Airport. Anthony Dixon, 3, and Cassel Dixon Jr., 4, were found early Wednesday morning holding hands, hungry and frightened but in good condition at the airport.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 3, 1989
The suspected kidnaper of a homeless Orange County girl may have attempted to abduct at least 10 other children in the Los Angeles area by luring them into his pickup truck, police said Monday. "Some things match and some things don't," said Manhattan Beach Police Sgt. Jack Zea. "We are going to look . . . at his background to see where he has been the last couple of weeks."
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 10, 1999 | SCOTT GLOVER and NANCY TREJOS, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
A young businessman and father of two remained in critical condition Tuesday in the wake of an apparent follow-home robbery turned kidnapping that culminated in the fiery crash of the victim's Bentley automobile. Christopher Rawlings, 30, was ejected from the trunk of the luxury car as it struck a power pole on Tampa Avenue during a high-speed police pursuit Monday night, police said.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
November 5, 1998 | JOSE CARDENAS, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A 32-year-old man, who was forced out of his business at gunpoint and whisked away in a van by two assailants Wednesday, later showed up at a police station unharmed and did not want to talk about the incident, according to authorities. The name of the victim was not being released, said Det. Rick Jamieson of the Los Angeles Police Department's North Hollywood Division. The incident occurred about 9 a.m. at PC Auto Detail in the 4900 block of Lankershim Boulevard. Two assailants, armed with .
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 10, 1995 | NICHOLAS RICCARDI, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Los Angeles police Monday stepped up the search for the kidnapers of a 4-year-old boy who has been returned to his parents, and in another case, a 2-year-old Shadow Hills boy was also returned to his family after being reported missing. Police were looking for the two men who burst into the Lopez family's Van Nuys apartment on Woodman Avenue about 1:30 p.m. New Year's Day, and tied up Consuela Lopez and her 8-year-old son at gunpoint, said Los Angeles Police Lt. Ken Lady.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 23, 1997 | JOHN M. GONZALES, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Two years after the disappearance of Sandra Nevarez from a Sylmar coin-operated laundry, the discovery of unidentified remains in the area has pitted relatives' hope for her survival against their desperate need for closure in the case. An answer may not come for months, say police, who have asked family members for blood samples to help determine through genetic testing if the bones are those of the 41-year-old mother of four.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|