Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsLa Habra Ca Landmarks
IN THE NEWS

La Habra Ca Landmarks

FEATURED ARTICLES
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 22, 1992 | ROSE APODACA
The City Council this week voted unanimously to suspend demolition of former President Richard M. Nixon's first law office and the Wester Hotel for an additional six months while city staff studies the historical significance of the buildings. The decision came at the end of an hourlong closed session Monday in response to potential litigation threatened by those opposed to the demolition, said City Atty. Richard Jones.
ARTICLES BY DATE
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 22, 1992 | MARESA ARCHER
Preliminary demolition work has begun at former President Richard M. Nixon's first law office, despite efforts by residents to spare the La Habra landmark. Workers are clearing trash and removing water meters from around the nine condemned buildings along the 100 block of west La Habra Boulevard in preparation for their razing. The City Council awarded the $33,367 demolition contract last week after the buildings' final six-month stay was up.
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 29, 1992 | LILY DIZON, TIMES STAFF WRITER
To the chagrin of preservationists fighting to preserve Richard M. Nixon's old law office, the former President this week told city officials not to bother. In a letter received by Mayor James Flora on Monday, Nixon said he did not think his old haunt, where he worked from 1939 to 1942, has enough historical significance to keep it standing.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
September 17, 1992 | WILLSON CUMMER
The City Council has decided to seek bids on the destruction of nine condemned buildings, one of which contains former President Richard M. Nixon's first law office. Opponents and supporters of the demolition spoke passionately at a council meeting Tuesday night, often debating more about the soul of the city than the swing of a wrecking ball. "I hope we don't start to rely on reports from experts . . .
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
September 17, 1992 | WILLSON CUMMER
The City Council has decided to seek bids on the destruction of nine condemned buildings, one of which contains former President Richard M. Nixon's first law office. Opponents and supporters of the demolition spoke passionately at a council meeting Tuesday night, often debating more about the soul of the city than the swing of a wrecking ball. "I hope we don't start to rely on reports from experts . . .
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 7, 1992 | HELAINE OLEN
Legal maneuverings have saved the sites of former President Richard M. Nixon's first law office and the historic Wester Hotel from destruction for at least another two weeks. The office where Nixon practiced law from 1939 to 1942 and the hotel, built in 1916, are two of nine city-owned structures in the 100 block of West La Habra Boulevard scheduled to be torn down and replaced with a community center.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 22, 1992 | MARESA ARCHER
Preliminary demolition work has begun at former President Richard M. Nixon's first law office, despite efforts by residents to spare the La Habra landmark. Workers are clearing trash and removing water meters from around the nine condemned buildings along the 100 block of west La Habra Boulevard in preparation for their razing. The City Council awarded the $33,367 demolition contract last week after the buildings' final six-month stay was up.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
September 20, 1990 | DAVID F. BURKE
Members of the Nixon Law Office Preservation Inc. appealed to City Council members Tuesday in a last-ditch effort to save the former President's first place of business from demolition. "I have spent about 20 years of my life trying to keep that building there," said Lois Lundberg, a lifelong resident of La Habra. "This is not something you can reconsider in a couple of years after it's torn down."
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 29, 1992 | LILY DIZON, TIMES STAFF WRITER
To the chagrin of preservationists fighting to preserve Richard M. Nixon's old law office, the former President this week told city officials not to bother. In a letter received by Mayor James Flora on Monday, Nixon said he did not think his old haunt, where he worked from 1939 to 1942, has enough historical significance to keep it standing.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 22, 1992 | ROSE APODACA
The City Council this week voted unanimously to suspend demolition of former President Richard M. Nixon's first law office and the Wester Hotel for an additional six months while city staff studies the historical significance of the buildings. The decision came at the end of an hourlong closed session Monday in response to potential litigation threatened by those opposed to the demolition, said City Atty. Richard Jones.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 7, 1992 | HELAINE OLEN
Legal maneuverings have saved the sites of former President Richard M. Nixon's first law office and the historic Wester Hotel from destruction for at least another two weeks. The office where Nixon practiced law from 1939 to 1942 and the hotel, built in 1916, are two of nine city-owned structures in the 100 block of West La Habra Boulevard scheduled to be torn down and replaced with a community center.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
September 20, 1990 | DAVID F. BURKE
Members of the Nixon Law Office Preservation Inc. appealed to City Council members Tuesday in a last-ditch effort to save the former President's first place of business from demolition. "I have spent about 20 years of my life trying to keep that building there," said Lois Lundberg, a lifelong resident of La Habra. "This is not something you can reconsider in a couple of years after it's torn down."
Los Angeles Times Articles
|