January 8, 2003 |
A military court in Congo sentenced 26 people to death for their involvement in the assassination of President Laurent Kabila two years ago. Kabila was allegedly shot to death by a bodyguard in his palace in January 2001 and was replaced soon afterward by his son, Joseph. The bodyguard was shot dead at the scene. Among those sentenced to death was Col. Eddy Kapend, Laurent Kabila's closest personal aide, who was found guilty of having organized what was described by the court as a failed coup.
July 1, 1998 |
A United Nations human rights team called for an international tribunal to try Congolese and others for "serious violations of human rights." The team's report, released in New York, cited a "total absence of cooperation" from President Laurent Kabila's government in investigating massacres of Rwandan Hutu refugees before Kabila took power in 1997. The team was withdrawn from Congo in April.
November 22, 1998 |
Talks aimed at halting a civil war in Congo that has drawn in surrounding nations ended with rebels refusing to endorse a cease-fire. Congolese President Laurent Kabila did not send a representative and has refused to negotiate directly with the rebels. The talks in Gaborone, Botswana, were aimed at getting the insurgents to adopt a truce that was proposed last month at a meeting of African nations in Lusaka, Zambia.
September 3, 1998 |
Congolese President Laurent Kabila, accusing Rwanda and Uganda of invading his country, asked leaders of the Nonaligned Movement to "unequivocally condemn the aggression and request their withdrawal." U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan was scheduled to try to mediate the month-old rebel insurrection in Congo by meeting with leaders from the five countries that have been drawn into the conflict: Uganda, Rwanda, Zimbabwe, Angola and Namibia.
June 19, 1997 |
Congo's new president, Laurent Kabila, has told local officials in the country's east to do as little as possible to aid a U.N. investigation into alleged massacres of Rwandan Hutu refugees by his troops, Western and Congolese sources said. At an unusual meeting in Bukavu last weekend, Kabila warned the officials not to direct human rights investigators to any mass grave sites or potential witnesses, the sources said.
October 26, 1997 |
President Laurent Kabila and America's U.N. ambassador announced an agreement that clears the way for a U.N. investigation into alleged massacres by Kabila's army. U.N. Ambassador Bill Richardson said he hoped the probe can begin early next month, ending an impasse that threatened to strain relations between the world body and Kabila's government.