Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsLawsuit
IN THE NEWS

Lawsuit

ENTERTAINMENT
November 8, 2012 | By Ben Fritz, This post has been updated. See the note below for details.
The makers of "The Hobbit" trilogy aren't too happy about a low-budget direct-to-DVD knockoff. Warner Bros., Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer and producer Saul Zaentz have filed a lawsuit against production studio the Asylum over its low budget direct-to-DVD "mockbuster" "Age of the Hobbits" that's designed to draft off consumer interest in the eagerly awaited "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. " Both are scheduled for release in December. Zaentz owns the trademark for author J.J.R. Tolkien's "Hobbit" and "Lord of the Rings" books for use in films and other media.
Advertisement
ENTERTAINMENT
April 7, 2014 | By Richard Verrier
Hollywood studios are turning the screws on Kim Dotcom, founder of the once infamous piracy website Megaupload. Several major U.S. studios on Monday filed a lawsuit against Kim Dotcom (a.k.a. Kim Schmitz and Kim Tim Jim Vestor) and others associated with Megaupload, alleging that they encouraged and profited from massive copyright infringement of movies and television shows before they were indicted on federal criminal charges and Megaupload was shut down. “When Megaupload.com was shut down in 2012 by U.S. law enforcement, it was by all estimates the largest and most active infringing website targeting creative content in the world,” said Steven Fabrizio, senior executive vice president and global general counsel of the Motion Picture Assn.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 22, 2014 | By Brittany Levine
A Glendale resident, along with a Los Angeles resident and a nonprofit group, filed a lawsuit this week asking a federal judge to order the city of Glendale to remove  a controversial statue in a public park that honors women victimized by the Japanese government during World War II. The lawsuit is the latest attempt to remove the 1,100-pound statue for so-called comfort women, which was installed in July, the Glendale News-Press reported ...
BUSINESS
March 28, 2012 | By Nathan Olivarez-Giles
Siri, the voice-activated personal assistant program built into the Apple iPhone 4S, is the target of yet another lawsuit. But unlike the March suit filed in New York , the latest lawsuit was filed on Tuesday in Los Angeles. The new suit, filed in a U.S. District Court by a David Jones living in California, makes the same basic accusation that the previous complaint did -- that Apple oversells Siri's abilities in advertising and TV commercials. Apple officials were unavailable for comment on the lawsuits on Wednesday.
BUSINESS
October 23, 2013 | By Ricardo Lopez
Amid accusations that it violated minimum-wage and overtime laws, magazine publisher Conde Nast has canceled its internship program, a spokesman confirmed Wednesday. Two former interns sued Conde Nast, publisher of magazines that include the New Yorker and Vogue, in June accusing their former employer of failing to pay them minimum wage at their summer jobs. The lawsuit, filed in New York, follows recent legal action by other interns suing media companies for similar violations.
NATIONAL
November 4, 2013 | By David G. Savage
WASHINGTON -- The U.S. Supreme Court threw out an invasion-of-privacy lawsuit against a San Diego-area police officer Monday, saying the Constitution does not make it clearly illegal for officers to pursue a potential suspect into a homeowner's private yard. The justices unanimously reversed a ruling by the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, which had upheld the homeowner's lawsuit and said the officer had violated the 4th Amendment's ban on “unreasonable searches.” In the past, the justices had said officers in a “hot pursuit” of a fleeing suspect may enter a private home or yard.
ENTERTAINMENT
February 22, 2013 | By Daniel Miller
Unlike last year, people hoping to jazz up their Academy Awards viewing parties this weekend with an oversized statuette resembling Oscar are now out of luck. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has settled a lawsuit it brought against an Edwardsville, Ill.-based events rental company for copyright infringement stemming from the alleged renting and selling of eight-foot statues that looked like the Oscar statuettes. The case against TheEventLine.com and its president, Robert Hollingsworth, was settled late last year and dismissed Nov. 19. In a lawsuit filed March 9 in U.S. District Court in Atlanta, the Academy had alleged that Hollingsworth continued to market, sell and rent the eight-foot statues after he'd been notified of the alleged infringement in a letter sent in March 2011.
SPORTS
January 18, 2012 | By Gary Klein
USC has settled a lawsuit brought by former running back Stafon Johnson, who was injured in 2009 when a bar carrying 275 pounds fell on his neck in the school's weight room. USC and Johnson released a joint statement Wednesday evening. "The University of Southern California and former student-athlete Stafon Johnson wish to jointly announce that Mr. Johnson has resolved his lawsuit against the university arising out of his September 28, 2009, weight room injury," the statement said.
BUSINESS
September 19, 2009 | Nathan Olivarez-Giles
Dannon Co. settled a false-advertising lawsuit Friday, agreeing to set up a $35-million fund to reimburse consumers who bought its Activia and DanActive yogurts. The class-action lawsuit, filed in January 2008, alleged that Dannon lied when marketing its Activia and DanActive yogurts by trumpeting health benefits that didn't exist. The White Plains, N.Y.-based yogurt maker denied the claims and admitted no wrongdoing as part of the settlement. The decision to settle was based on Dannon's desire "to avoid the distraction and expense of litigation," spokesman Michael Neuwirth said.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|