Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsLloyd Jowers
IN THE NEWS

Lloyd Jowers

FEATURED ARTICLES
NEWS
December 9, 1999 | ERIC SLATER, TIMES STAFF WRITER
More than three decades after the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated, a Memphis jury hearing a lawsuit brought by his wife and children found Wednesday that King was the victim not of a lone racist gunman but of a vast conspiracy. The jury awarded the King family, which sought only a token sum, $100 in its wrongful death suit against Loyd Jowers, the ailing former owner of a Memphis restaurant who six years ago claimed that he hired King's assassin as a favor to a Mafia friend.
ARTICLES BY DATE
NEWS
December 9, 1999 | ERIC SLATER, TIMES STAFF WRITER
More than three decades after the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated, a Memphis jury hearing a lawsuit brought by his wife and children found Wednesday that King was the victim not of a lone racist gunman but of a vast conspiracy. The jury awarded the King family, which sought only a token sum, $100 in its wrongful death suit against Loyd Jowers, the ailing former owner of a Memphis restaurant who six years ago claimed that he hired King's assassin as a favor to a Mafia friend.
Advertisement
NEWS
October 3, 1998 | From Times Wire Reports
Martin Luther King Jr.'s family filed a suit in another attempt to get a Tennessee court to hear its claim that the civil rights leader's assassination was a conspiracy. The suit accuses former Memphis restaurant owner Lloyd Jowers and "unknown co-conspirators" of being involved in King's murder. The suit seeks unspecified damages and a jury trial.
NEWS
March 28, 1998 | From Times Wire Services
A seven-month reinvestigation of the assassination of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. has found no evidence that anyone other than James Earl Ray committed the crime, Dist. Atty. Bill Gibbons said Friday. "There is simply no credible evidence to support a new trial for Mr. Ray," Gibbons said. "The evidence against him is overwhelming."
NEWS
August 27, 1998 | RONALD J. OSTROW, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Atty. Gen. Janet Reno on Wednesday approved reopening the investigation into the 1968 assassination of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., focusing on doubts raised by the civil rights leader's family that James Earl Ray acted alone in the shooting. The inquiry stopped short of the national commission sought by Coretta Scott King, King's widow, and other family members when Reno met with them earlier this year at President Clinton's request.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|