Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsLos Angeles District Attorney
IN THE NEWS

Los Angeles District Attorney

BUSINESS
March 4, 1998 | DEBORA VRANA, TIMES STAFF WRITER
As part of a broad crackdown on insurance fraud in the construction industry, the Los Angeles County district attorney's office Tuesday charged operators of four area contractors for allegedly misreporting wages or types of workers. "The underreporting or non-reporting of payroll and the misclassification of workers raises insurance costs for all the honest businesspeople out there," said Barry Gale, deputy district attorney in the workers compensation division.
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 31, 1998 | EDWARD J. BOYER, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The decision overturning Elmer "Geronimo" Pratt's murder conviction should be reversed, Los Angeles prosecutors said Friday, arguing that "nothing points to Pratt's innocence; everything points to his guilt." In a 202-page appeal filed Friday, prosecutors challenged Orange County Superior Court Judge Everett W. Dickey's decision that led to the former Black Panther Party leader's release on bail in July. Dist. Atty.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
November 25, 1997 | GREG KRIKORIAN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The district attorney's office was given three more weeks Monday to turn over all its records about the testimony and forensic work of a veteran deputy coroner whose credibility figures in a pending murder trial and could be a factor in other cases. Superior Court Judge Dewey L.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 2, 1997 | NICHOLAS RICCARDI, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Resolving an international standoff, authorities Wednesday said a U.S. citizen who fled to Mexico after allegedly killing four people in Baldwin Park will be tried for the slayings in Mexico under that country's laws. Mexico had declined to extradite David "Spooky" Alvarez, 29, because Los Angeles Dist. Atty. Gil Garcetti refused to promise not to seek the death penalty against Alvarez, who is on the FBI's 10 Most Wanted List.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
September 25, 1997 | GREG KRIKORIAN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Dist. Atty. Gil Garcetti told a jury Wednesday that he genuinely feared for the safety of his wife and daughter after being notified of a menacing letter allegedly prompted by a man's loss of his life savings in a dispute over child support. "There wasn't an [immediate] threat to me," said Garcetti, whose office supervises the collection of delinquent child support payments.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
September 24, 1997 | ANDREW BLANKSTEIN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
As a 16-year veteran of the Los Angeles district attorney's office, Alan Yochelson recalled one of the first trials he prosecuted: A young man was sent to prison for 12 years after he broke into a woman's home, raped her and stole her belongings. At the time, the sentence was considered "tough" punishment, said Yochelson, who over his career has helped prosecute the Night Stalker, O.J. Simpson and the four officers who beat Rodney G. King.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
September 24, 1997 | GREG KRIKORIAN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Sharing two menacing letters with jurors, authorities opened the trial Tuesday of a 57-year-old Hollywood man charged with threatening Dist. Atty. Gil Garcetti when bureaucratic delays allowed the man's life savings to be frozen long after a child support dispute had been settled. Handyman Roberto Lansing is accused on two felony counts of threatening Garcetti in letters that were purportedly triggered by the D.A.'
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 28, 1997 | GREG KRIKORIAN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Local law enforcement officials announced a new collaboration Friday aimed at curbing incidents of workplace violence, stalking and threats. The effort, which officially begins July 1, will be highlighted by the creation of a Stalking and Threat Assessment Team within the district attorney's office, which will assign two prosecutors to work full time on processing such cases.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 26, 1997 | BETH SHUSTER, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The Los Angeles district attorney's office dismissed stalking and other charges against an Encino man earlier this month, but prosecutors have refiled the case, saying there is ample evidence to prove the 23-year-old harassed and threatened a police detective. But Assaf Waknine, who was arrested in April and is now in federal custody awaiting sentencing in another case, maintains that it was he who was victimized, not police.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 22, 1997
For the second time in a month, the Los Angeles County district attorney's office has concluded that prosecutor Lawrence M. Longo should be fired for his handling of a 1992 assault case involving rap mogul Marion "Suge" Knight. On Friday, the district attorney's office hand-delivered to Longo a new dismissal notice, supplementing a notice delivered Feb. 22 that alleged that Longo's actions had created the appearance of impropriety.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|