Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsLos Angeles Police Department Rampart Division
IN THE NEWS

Los Angeles Police Department Rampart Division

CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 10, 2004 | Andrew Blankstein and Jessica Garrison, Times Staff Writers
Six months after it was created, a special commission to look into how the Los Angeles Police Department reacted to the Rampart corruption scandal was approved Monday by a City Council committee. The commission was created by the Los Angeles Police Commission, at the request of Police Chief William J. Bratton, and will consider whether the LAPD adequately investigated itself after allegations by former Officer Rafael Perez about widespread illegality and criminal conduct by police officers.
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
September 3, 2003 | Monte Morin, Times Staff Writer
A letter distributed by former Police Chief Bernard C. Parks explaining his refusal to participate in a new investigation of police abuses in the Rampart Division was criticized Tuesday by the Police Commission president and a city councilman. A day after Parks delivered the letter to council members charging that the latest Rampart review was a waste of money and time, Councilman Dennis Zine said the former chief was being needlessly obstructive.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 23, 2003 | Scott Glover and Matt Lait, Times Staff Writers
As members of a special blue-ribbon panel begin to assess the Los Angeles Police Department's handling of the Rampart corruption scandal, they'll be forced to do so without the cooperation of one particularly important figure: former Police Chief Bernard C. Parks. Parks, now a Los Angeles city councilman, has refused to meet with members of the Blue Ribbon Rampart Review Panel, which is headed by civil rights attorney Connie Rice and includes other lawyers and academics. Bernard Parks Jr.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 29, 2003 | Akilah Johnson, Times Staff Writer
In another case from the Rampart corruption scandal, a former Los Angeles police officer was sentenced to three years of probation Monday for filing a false report describing a 1998 police assault on a gang member. Shawn Gomez, 30, who pleaded no contest more than two years ago as part of a plea agreement, was also ordered to serve 400 community service hours. Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge David Wesley denied a defense request for a lighter sentence.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 20, 2002 | Kristina Sauerwein, Times Staff Writer
With the Rampart police scandal costing taxpayers millions of dollars, Los Angeles County Dist. Atty. Steve Cooley earlier this month implemented a long-awaited policy aimed at ensuring that jurors know the background of officers scheduled to testify in court.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
November 26, 2002 | Scott Glover, Times Staff Writer
Los Angeles County Dist. Atty. Steve Cooley announced Monday that dozens of cases against officers implicated in the LAPD's Rampart Division scandal would not result in criminal prosecution. Cooley said he made the decision based on his review of 82 Rampart-related cases that detectives submitted to prosecutors. The district attorney's office decided to not prosecute the cases because of insufficient evidence and because the statute of limitations had expired.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 8, 2002 | ANDREW BLANKSTEIN and RICHARD WINTON, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
Moving quickly to assert command, William J. Bratton called Monday for a complete review of how well the Los Angeles Police Department has investigated the Rampart corruption scandal. The LAPD's investigation was called into question by the disclosure Monday that allegations of wrongdoing by disgraced former Officer Rafael Perez had not been thoroughly investigated. During a walking tour of a San Pedro neighborhood with Mayor James K.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 30, 2002 | SCOTT GLOVER and MATT LAIT, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
Shortly after the Rampart corruption scandal came to light in 1999, Los Angeles Police Chief Bernard C. Parks promised to get to the bottom of the department's troubles and publicly explain what went wrong in two comprehensive reports. The chief issued the first report two years ago, documenting the administrative and managerial failures of the LAPD that police officials believe contributed to the misconduct in Rampart.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 25, 2001 | MATT LAIT, TIMES STAFF WRITER
After nearly three years behind bars, disgraced former Los Angeles Police Officer Rafael Perez was discharged from the California Correctional Institute in Tehachapi on Tuesday morning and placed on parole, authorities said. The terms of Perez's parole, as well as where he will live, were not disclosed by prison officials. A judge said Monday that Perez could be allowed to live out of state while under parole because of concerns about his safety.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 13, 2001 | HENRY WEINSTEIN, TIMES LEGAL AFFAIRS WRITER
A Los Angeles federal judge has issued more than a dozen rulings in recent days casting serious doubt on whether plaintiffs in Rampart scandal-related civil cases will be able to recover any damages against the Los Angeles Police Department under federal racketeering laws. U.S. District Judge Gary A.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|