October 29, 1989 |
The after-dinner cigar is pretty much a thing of the past in American restaurants today. Some eating places, of course, ban smoking altogether. Others allow cigarettes, but forbid cigars and pipes as well--or, at the least, restrict the enjoyment of them to bar areas or lounges. At least one Los Angeles restaurateur thinks this is a shame, and has decided to do something about it--once a month, at any rate. Starting Nov.
November 10, 1985 |
Ma Maison, that popular West Hollywood eatery of the stars and other luminaries, will close Thursday because the 22,000-square-foot property it occupies has been sold. That's the word from industry spokesmen, although Patrick Terrail, Ma Maison owner, was unavailable for comment. When contacted, Joe Lenzi of the Novagroup Realty in Beverly Hills, verified that he represented both sides in the $2-million-plus transaction, which closed escrow Nov. 1.
November 13, 1985
Ma Maison Restaurant, the celebrated West Hollywood gathering place for such stars as the late Orson Welles, will shut down Thursday, but its owner promises to reopen at a new location. Located in an old house and covered patio on Melrose Avenue, Ma Maison opened 10 years ago and immediately attracted Hollywood's brightest luminaries. "When we started the dining scene here was a desert," owner Patrick Terrail said. "Many of the best restaurants in Los Angeles today are offshoots of Ma Maison's.
May 5, 1988 |
It was 9:20 p.m. and a seven-hour public hearing on the Ma Maison Sofitel Hotel was winding down. A weary member of the Board of Zoning Appeals rested his chin in the palm of his hand. An attorney for the hotel removed his glasses and rubbed his eyes. A water pitcher and coffee pot were empty. Harald Hahn, president of a group of homeowners who live near the hotel, walked slowly toward the podium.
September 2, 1994 |
Seven years ago Patrick Terrail closed his Hollywood Diner on Fairfax, the Franco-American bistro he opened after the demise of Ma Maison, his original establishment. Terrail, who still owned the Diner's building, then leased the space to Silvio De Mori and turned his energy to re-creating Ma Maison at the new Sofitel Hotel on the corner of Beverly and La Cienega. De Mori ran the former Hollywood Diner as Tutto Bene until filing for Chapter 7 (liquidation) bankruptcy last year.
February 24, 1991 |
There's something missing from the popular Celestino in Beverly Hills these days: chef/co-owner Celestino Drago himself. In a dispute with his partner, investor Art Vella, Drago quit the restaurant as of Feb. 13. He retains his 50% interest in the establishment, and the place will keep the Celestino name--but he says he has no further involvement with it either as a chef or a manager. "I hope Art will do very well with the place," Drago says.