Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsMa Maison
IN THE NEWS

Ma Maison

ENTERTAINMENT
September 13, 1987 | COLMAN ANDREWS
When the legendary show-biz hot spot (and good French restaurant) called Ma Maison closed its doors two years ago, much of its clientele--especially the lunch bunch--eventually reassembled a block away at the newly opened Silvio's. Two months ago, as reported in this space, the latter's eponymous proprietor, Silvio De Mori, left the restaurant abruptly after a dispute with his partners.
Advertisement
ENTERTAINMENT
January 4, 1987 | RUTH REICHL
"I'm afraid that fine dining may be dying in Los Angeles," says the owner of one of this city's most elegant establishments as he surveys his increasingly empty restaurant. Some of his colleagues worry that he might be right. And yet the restaurant business has never been better. More money is being spent in restaurants in California than in any other state; the total will reach almost $20 billion this year.
ENTERTAINMENT
June 8, 1986 | COLMAN ANDREWS
OK, diners and dinettes of Los Angeles, brace yourselves for another round. . . . Andy Tsuji, a veteran of Ma Maison, Michael's and Morton's, has taken over the Starlight Grill on Melrose and plans to close it down any day now--to remodel it into the Angel City Grill, "an American specialty restaurant." No chef has been chosen yet, and, says Tsuji, "It's a little early to capsulize the direction." It should be open in early August, though, and you can find out for yourself. . . .
ENTERTAINMENT
May 18, 1986 | COLMAN ANDREWS
Another section of this newspaper carried a story not long ago about a notorious con man who had been arrested in Arcadia where he had been masquerading as--no, not as a brain surgeon or a procurement officer in the U.S. Armed Forces or even as a missionary priest collecting donations for the widows of Andorran sailors lost at sea--but a restaurant critic. I don't know about my colleagues in the field, but this R.C., for one, was darned flattered by the news.
NEWS
January 23, 1986 | NANCY GRAHAM, Times Staff Writer
West Hollywood's request for a preliminary injunction to stop construction of the 10-story Ma Maison luxury hotel and restaurant has been turned down by a Los Angeles Superior Court judge. Attorneys for developer Sheldon Gordon, a general partner at Huntley Drive Associates, said they are ready to start building on the site abutting West Hollywood at the northwest corner of La Cienega and Beverly boulevards. A sliver of the hotel site was annexed by the city of Los Angeles in 1979.
NEWS
December 19, 1985
A hearing on West Hollywood's suit to block construction of the proposed Ma Maison hotel and restaurant has been postponed to allow attorneys for the city of Los Angeles more time to prepare their response. Although the site is in Los Angeles, attorneys for West Hollywood hope to prove that the process under which the land was annexed was faulty.
NEWS
November 28, 1985 | MATHIS CHAZANOV, Times Staff Writer
West Hollywood has sued the city of Los Angeles to block construction of an 11-story Ma Maison hotel and restaurant just across the city line. The suit filed in Superior Court on Monday alleges that if the proposed luxury hotel and French restaurant is built, it will increase traffic congestion, exacerbate parking problems, increase noise and cast a shadow over a neighborhood of single-family homes.
NEWS
November 18, 1985 | MARYLOUISE OATES, Times Staff Writer
Ma Maison--the bistro that proved Hollywood can love something even if it isn't perfect--closed last week. Longtime patrons pronounced the event the most successful closing in restaurant history. The Rollses overflowed from the parking lot into the street, and the devoted denizens of al fresco dining crowded under the stained and sagging canvas tenting that covers most of the restaurant. They hugged. They kissed. They reminisced. Those with inclination and ability spurted into French.
NEWS
November 13, 1985
Ma Maison Restaurant, the celebrated West Hollywood gathering place for such stars as the late Orson Welles, will shut down Thursday, but its owner promises to reopen at a new location. Located in an old house and covered patio on Melrose Avenue, Ma Maison opened 10 years ago and immediately attracted Hollywood's brightest luminaries. "When we started the dining scene here was a desert," owner Patrick Terrail said. "Many of the best restaurants in Los Angeles today are offshoots of Ma Maison's.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|