Advertisement
 
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsMan
IN THE NEWS

Man

MORE STORIES ABOUT:
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 22, 2013 | By Bettina Boxall
The man found dead in a trash can in Brea was identified Saturday as a 46-year-old from Santa Ana. Brea police said the man was Jose Ramiro Baez Paredes, also known as Ramiro Baez Parades. The cause of death has not been determined, but the case is being handled as a homicide. The body was discovered by a motorist driving on Brea Canyon Road on Friday afternoon. The driver stopped to look inside a trash can, saw what appeared to be human hands and immediately contacted the police.
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
September 15, 2013 | By Angel Jennings
A 23-year-old man was stabbed to death in Hollywood early Sunday morning, police said. Los Angeles police received a call at 2:30 a.m. reporting a fight at Hollywood Boulevard and Whitley Avenue , said Officer Cleon Joseph. When officers arrived, they found a man with stab wounds. The victim was taken to a local hospital, where he succumbed to his injuries, Joseph said. No description of the suspect was given. The motive is unknown. ALSO: Mother of two children found dead in hotel identified, arrested South Bay power outage leaves 115,000 homes without electricity 37 Hawthorne families displaced as workers try to cap methane leak Twitter: LATangel angel.jennings@latimes.com
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 21, 2013 | By Joseph Serna
Authorities are continuing to investigate the death of a Rancho Cucamonga man who was killed while walking on the 210 Freeway in Claremont on Friday night. Jose Alfredo Gomez, 35, was killed about 11:30 p.m. when he was struck by a vehicle in the No. 1 westbound lane, according to the California Highway Patrol. It was unclear why he was walking on the roadway. Gomez's car was found about a quarter of a mile away from the collision on the shoulder of the freeway's eastbound lanes, according to a report by CBSLA . The driver who hit Gomez was not arrested or charged.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 24, 2014 | By Paloma Esquivel
Homicide detectives in Santa Ana are investigating the early Friday morning shooting death of a man who was discovered lying on the ground in a residential neighborhood. Police said the man's identity is still not known. Someone called police about 1:10 a.m. Friday to report that a person was lying on the ground in the 1400 block of South Standard Street, according to a Santa Ana police news release. The officers who responded to the scene saw that the man had been shot and alerted paramedics, who pronounced him dead at the scene, said Cpl. Anthony Bertagna.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 30, 2014 | By Hailey Branson-Potts
A Metrolink train en route to Los Angeles from the Antelope Valley struck and killed a man Thursday morning in the Sylmar area, officials said. The man was struck by Train 212 near the intersections of Cobalt Street and San Fernando Road , said Brian Humphrey, a Los Angeles Fire Department spokesman. No one on the train was injured, Humphrey said. Law enforcement officers will decide when to move the train, officials said. Metrolink spokesman Scott Johnson said the man was struck at 10:22 a.m. and that 197 passengers were on the train, which originated in Lancaster.
NATIONAL
December 4, 2012 | By Tina Susman, This post has been updated and corrected, as indicated below.
New York police were questioning a man Tuesday in connection with the death of a subway rider who witnesses said was pushed onto the tracks and crushed by an oncoming train after an apparent altercation on the platform. The identity of the man was not released, but police said late in the evening that he had implicated himself in the attack. No charges were expected to be filed before Wednesday.  Part of the incident Monday was caught on camera, and both the video and photographs of the alleged pusher were circulated across the city.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
November 4, 2013 | From a Times staff writer
A Southern California man who said he always wanted to skydive finally did it Monday on this 100th birthday. Vernon Maynard, a retired car dealer, and his two great-nephews made their first skydive from 13,000 feet in Perris, said Jean Walcher of the U.S. Parachute Assn., the Associated Press reported. They were accompanied by trained instructors. Skydive Perris manager Dan Brodsky-Chenfeld said Maynard, of Palm Desert, obtained a doctor's note before making the jump, according to the AP. Maynard's daughter Linda Hironimus said her father's friends made arrangements for him to skydive after he said he always wanted to try it. ALSO: LAX shooting: Condition of wounded teacher is upgraded to 'good' Driver shot and killed in Paramount after 4-hour chase is identified Tomahawk-throwing champion chases burglar from her home with ax  
ENTERTAINMENT
December 21, 2009
The Man in the Wooden Hat A Novel Jane Gardam Europa Editions: 230 pp., $15 paper
ENTERTAINMENT
November 25, 2010
'William S. Burroughs: A Man Within' Rating: No MPAA rating Running time: 1 hour, 28 minutes Playing: At the Downtown Independent, Los Angeles
ENTERTAINMENT
December 18, 2010
Titanic Thompson The Man Who Bet on Everything Kevin Cook W.W. Norton: 248 pp., $24.95
Los Angeles Times Articles
|