Advertisement
 
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsMary Vincent
IN THE NEWS

Mary Vincent

NEWS
December 30, 1988 | PAUL DEAN
In summer, Mary Vincent celebrated a new beginning. She was married. This winter, there was a greater joy. Mary Vincent gave birth to a son, Alan. "He's like (husband) Matt, very quiet, rather serious and a thinker," she said. "Then he bursts into fun and devotes his waking hours to keeping me busy." Until 1988, fun was never the substance of Mary Vincent's young life. In 1978, as a teen-ager hitchhiking near Sacramento, she was raped by retired merchant seaman Lawrence Singleton.
Advertisement
NEWS
September 28, 1988
Mary Vincent, who as a teen-ager in 1978 was raped and mutilated, has dropped her attempt to collect a $2.56-million judgment from her attacker because she is satisfied that he has not sold film or book rights to his story, her lawyer said. Tustin attorney Mark E. Edwards said he met last weekend with Lawrence Singleton, now out of prison, and learned that his only income is a $600 monthly Social Security payment.
NEWS
August 1, 1988 | PAUL DEAN, Times Staff Writer
In one moment, by vows exchanged, with tears staining her bridal satin, the marriage of Mary Vincent moved her public life closer to a private peace. "It (life) just began all over again," she said. In fact, "everything that has been happening lately seems like the beginning of another life, a better life." Anything would be better.
NEWS
June 23, 1988 | JERRY HICKS, Times Staff Writer
An Orange County Superior Court commissioner ruled Wednesday that the woman Lawrence Singleton raped and mutilated cannot force the ex-convict to appear in an Orange County courtroom to discuss the $2.5 million in civil damages he owes her. In a two-page letter to the court, Singleton said that because he lives more than 150 miles from Orange County and has no money to make the trip, the Orange County courts should not have jurisdiction in the case. Commissioner Ronald L. Bauer agreed.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 13, 1988 | JESS BRAVIN, Times Staff Writer
One day after Lawrence Singleton reportedly threatened to sue the woman he was convicted of raping and maiming 10 years ago, Mary Vincent took steps Tuesday in Santa Ana to collect a $2.4-million judgment she won against him last May in a Nevada court. In a statement released through her attorney, Vincent, now 25, said she had been "almost ready to 'live and let live' " without pursuing the judgment against the man convicted in 1979 of raping her and hacking off her forearms with an ax.
NEWS
November 23, 1987 | DANA NICHOLS, Times Staff Writer
Seven months after his parole from prison created an uproar that rebounded from San Francisco to San Diego, rapist-mutilator Lawrence Singleton has faded into obscurity at his new home here. Singleton, who does not respond to media requests for interviews, has been living for six months in a trailer home on the grounds of the state prison here, but he is not behind bars and is free to visit surrounding towns in the company of parole officers.
NEWS
May 31, 1987 | CARL INGRAM, Times Staff Writer
Frustrated by the month-long refusal of Northern California communities to accept mutilation-rapist Lawrence Singleton for parole, Gov. George Deukmejian on Saturday took the unprecedented step of finding a home for the despised ex-convict--at San Quentin Prison.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 2, 1987 | NANCY RAY, Times Staff Writer
In the latest move by Northern California counties scrambling to keep out paroled rapist Larry Singleton, Contra Costa County has named San Diego County as a defendant in a suit arguing that Singleton should be sent here. Papers served against San Diego County on Friday name it as "Doe 3" in a Contra Costa County legal action seeking to prevent Singleton--who served time for raping and mutilating a 15-year-old girl--from being placed there.
NEWS
April 4, 1987 | United Press International
Antioch's angry mayor is demanding that the Department of Corrections find a different area for the paroling of Lawrence Singleton, who raped a 15-year-old girl and chopped off both her arms. "Our phones haven't stopped ringing," Mayor Joel Keller said Friday. "There's a lot of anger and outrage."
Los Angeles Times Articles
|