Advertisement
 
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsMass Murders Northern California
IN THE NEWS

Mass Murders Northern California

NEWS
April 9, 1991 | From Times Staff and Wire Reports
The survivor among four gunmen felled by sheriff's deputies in Sacramento's dramatic hostage siege last week was arraigned Monday on 54 felony charges including three capital counts of first-degree murder. The legal proceedings took place in the intensive care unit of University Medical Center, where Loi Khac Nguyen, 21, of Sacramento was admitted with bullet wounds after the violent incident Thursday at a Good Guys electronics store.
Advertisement
NEWS
August 26, 2001 | ERIC BAILEY, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Just who is Nikolay Soltys and where has he gone? Suspected in the horrific murders of half a dozen family members in the suburbs of the California capital, the 27-year-old immigrant remains a cipher. To relatives who never saw the massacre coming, he is a savage enigma. To investigators fighting to catch him, he remains an elusive shadow.
NEWS
May 22, 1990 | From Associated Press
Sheriff's deputies investigating an assault report found the bodies of four apparent murder victims at a house in this community north of Modesto early Monday. The body of one man was found outside the rundown residence when Stanislaus County sheriff's deputies arrived shortly after 1 a.m. Three more bodies were found inside--two in the kitchen and one in the living room, Lt. Richard Breshears said. All of the victims were adults--three men and a woman, Breshears said.
NEWS
August 10, 2000 | JOHN M. GLIONNA, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A bizarre Marin County murder mystery involving the family of blues guitarist Elvin Bishop took a grisly turn Wednesday as authorities identified one of three dismembered bodies pulled from a Sacramento County river as that of Bishop's missing 22-year-old daughter. Since Monday, police divers have recovered eight gym bags containing what authorities say are the remains of Selina Bishop and an elderly Bay Area couple reported missing last week.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 27, 1994 | From Times Staff and Wire Reports
Five people--a couple and three children--were found slain in a rural Mendocino County home, police said. Authorities have not yet determined if all five were members of the same family, said Willits police spokeswoman Barbara Hahn. But she said the victims were a man, a woman, two elementary school-age children and a baby. Hahn would not confirm that the deaths were a result of a murder-suicide. "But we are not actively seeking a suspect at large," she added.
NEWS
December 18, 1990 | From Associated Press
A former winery worker was sentenced to death Monday for killing his wife, two daughters, mother-in-law, his wife's two young sisters and a co-worker in a wine-country rampage. Ramon Salcido's father-in-law, Robert Richards, called him a coward and tearfully asked for swift justice. Salcido, 29, was convicted on Oct. 30 of the April, 1989, murders.
NEWS
July 12, 1993 | RICHARD C. PADDOCK and CARLA NORTON, SPECIAL TO THE TIMES. Paddock, a Times staff writer, reported from San Francisco. Special correspondent Norton reported from Monterey
Dorothea Montalvo Puente might seem like "a grandmotherly figure," says prosecutor John O'Mara. But in reality, he contends, she is the nation's most prolific female serial murderer ever, "a cold, calculating" killer of tenants at her Sacramento boardinghouse.
NEWS
October 24, 1990 | From Associated Press
Former winery worker Ramon Salcido was lucid when he slashed the throats of his three daughters, left them to die at a dump, and then pondered killing more of his family, a prosecutor said Tuesday during closing arguments. "Before he even leaves the dump, he's thinking about his next victims," prosecutor Peter Bumerts told the jury of eight women and four men. Salcido, 29, has admitted killing seven people, including six family members, during the April, 1989, wine country rampage.
NEWS
November 2, 1991 | From Associated Press
After only one day of deliberation, a jury on Friday recommended the death penalty for Richard Farley, who admitted killing seven people while in a rage over unrequited love. As the judge read the verdict, Farley, who has remained unemotional throughout the trial, turned to his attorney, who patted him on his shoulder. Santa Clara Superior Court Judge Joseph F. Biafore Jr. will sentence Farley Jan. 17, after hearing a motion from the defense for modification of the sentence.
NEWS
June 7, 1991 | From Times Staff and Wire Reports
A man described by authorities as a withdrawn loner was arrested Thursday in connection with the killings of six people, who were gunned down at close range at a local convenience store and a pizza parlor. Sacramento County Sheriff Glen Craig said Eric Royce Leonard, 22, who lives near both shooting scenes, was arrested at his apartment about 9 p.m. after ballistics experts identified a .25-caliber pistol owned by his father as the weapon used in all six of the killings.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|