Advertisement
 
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsMassacre
IN THE NEWS

Massacre

WORLD
November 10, 2013 | By Tracy Wilkinson
MEXICO CITY - Usually, human rights activists and victims are on the same side of a conflict. But the case of Israel Arzate has put the two allies in opposite camps in Mexico, a reflection of how the absence of justice distorts reality in this violent country. Arzate, 28, was one of a small handful of people formally accused by authorities of perpetrating one of the most notorious massacres in recent Mexican history. Fifteen mostly young people were shot to death as they celebrated a soccer victory in the border city of Ciudad Juarez in January 2010.
Advertisement
WORLD
June 7, 2011 | By Borzou Daragahi, Los Angeles Times
Syrian state television claimed Monday that 120 members of the nation's security forces were killed by armed groups in recent days in a report that said the government was prepared to "deal firmly and sternly" with any such attacks against its rule. The broadcast cited no sources and offered no footage to verify the report of a "massacre" by gunmen at a police station in the restive northwest city of Jisr Shughur, the site of weeks of ongoing clashes between security forces loyal to President Bashar Assad and pro-democracy protesters inspired by revolutions in Egypt and Tunisia.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 10, 2010 | By Richard Winton and Robert Faturechi
Los Angeles police said Friday that they are searching for a 28-year-old suspected gun dealer in connection with the massacre of four men at a San Fernando Valley restaurant. Nerses Arthur Galstyan is considered to be armed and very dangerous and is still at large somewhere in the city, possibly hiding with the aid of friends or relatives, said LAPD Chief Charlie Beck, speaking at news conference downtown. Investigators said they believe anger was behind the attack April 3 against six acquaintances at the Hot Spot Mediterranean Restaurant on Riverside Drive in Valley Village.
NEWS
May 15, 1993 | Associated Press
About 70 people are expected to face charges in the massacre of 28 protesters last year in a black homeland. Most of the suspects are members of the Ciskei military, a prosecutor said Friday. Willem Jurgens, the homeland's attorney general, said he had not yet decided on exact charges and refused to disclose the names. Soldiers opened fire on protesters last Sept. 7, killing 28 and wounding more than 200.
ENTERTAINMENT
November 20, 1998 | PHILIP BRANDES
If you think home is where the heart is, "massacre" at Hollywood's Theatre of Note begs to differ. As a trio of Colorado sisters (Jacqueline Wright, Dana Wieluns and Lauren Roedy Vaughn) with a tenuous grasp on normality contemplate the sale of their aging parents' house, their squabbling becomes a microcosmic mirror for social conflicts rooted in economics, sex and race.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 9, 1999
To Times Orange County columnist Dana Parsons (April 28) and clueless others who racked their brains over the Littleton massacre, let's try an exercise in logic. Take the video gore games out of the equation. Could the massacre have happened? Most decidedly. Now take the Internet Web hate-page out. You still have a massacre. Let's try taking a pop culture of violence out. No good. It just reverts to a subculture and these kids were decidedly nonconformists. Now let's replace the parents with strict, intrusive parents.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 13, 2011 | By Paloma Esquivel, Los Angeles Times
Nearly 30 years after the massacre of dozens of men, women and children during Guatemala's civil war, a Santa Ana maintenance worker who was allegedly a member of the elite military unit that carried out the killings was deported and turned over to authorities in that country to face charges. Pedro Pimentel Rios is accused of being among some 20 members of an elite Guatemalan army unit known as the Kaibiles that murdered at least 160 villagers — including nearly 70 children under age 12 — in the village of Dos Erres in December 1982, according to immigration officials.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 25, 2011 | By Phil Willon, Los Angeles Times
A Moreno Valley martial arts instructor suspected of belonging to the Guatemalan military unit that killed more than 150 civilians, including children, in the country's infamous Dos Erres massacre in 1982 has been arrested on immigration fraud charges after fleeing from federal authorities last year. Jorge Sosa, 52, was arrested by Canadian authorities last week while visiting his parents near Calgary, and Justice Department officials are seeking his extradition back to California.
WORLD
November 24, 2009 | By Al Jacinto and John M. Glionna
Reporting from Seoul and Zamboanga City, Philippines -- Twenty-four people were found dead in the southern Philippines after scores of gunmen on Monday kidnapped a caravan of supporters accompanying a woman en route to file her husband's nomination papers to run for provincial governor, authorities said. Officials called the attack a politically motivated massacre. Many of the victims were beheaded and buried in shallow graves. The victims -- at least 13 of them women -- reportedly included a dozen local journalists covering the filing that marked the start of the Philippine election season.
WORLD
February 19, 2010 | By Tracy Wilkinson
The slaughter last month of at least 15 young people with no apparent criminal ties has galvanized the Mexican public in ways not seen here in more than three years of bloody drug warfare and has forced the government to enact long-resisted policy changes to combat violence. Some in Mexico are wondering whether this is their nation's tipping point, a moment when public outrage that has bubbled along finally overcomes the fear and fatalism that largely silenced or intimidated Mexican society.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|