August 30, 1999 |
Ethnic Hutu rebels attacked Burundi's capital in brutal overnight raids, killing 38 civilians and taking on the army in fierce fighting that killed 20 rebels, officials said. Gunfire and mortar explosions echoed around Bujumbura from midnight to dawn after rebel units moved into two districts of the city and attacked the minority Tutsi population, burning down homes and shooting civilians as they fled. Most of the victims were children.
January 30, 1999 |
At least 185 civilians have been killed in southern Burundi in the past two weeks, villagers said, accusing the army of murdering most of them. The army vigorously denied that it had killed civilians and blamed ethnic Hutu rebels for the attack. The killings, in the southern province of Makamba, coincided with the resumption of peace talks aimed at ending Burundi's five-year ethnic conflict. About 150,000 people, mostly civilians, have been killed since 1993.
January 3, 1998 |
The army sealed off a military base and nearby village that were stormed by Hutu rebels, refusing Friday to allow outsiders access to the scene of an attack that killed as many as 300 people. Up to 200 civilians died in the fighting at Gakumbu military camp and Rukaramu settlement, most of them women and children, said Jean-Luc Ndizeye, a Burundian diplomat based in London. President Pierre Buyoya went to the site and spoke to survivors of Thursday's attack by 1,000 Hutu rebels, Ndizeye said.
October 25, 1997 |
Soldiers with this central African nation's mainly Tutsi army packed 40 people into a rural school and tossed a grenade inside, killing them all, a witness said. Salvator Singirankabo, a resident of Kibezi, 20 miles south of the capital of Bujumbura, said he saw the killings Monday. The soldiers had come to the region to flush out Hutu rebels who had burned 18 schools a week ago. Maj.
September 27, 1997 |
The army said Hutu rebels killed 20 people and set about 50 houses ablaze in an attack on a camp for displaced people in the troubled northern province of Bubanza. The attack started about 1 a.m. Thursday, army spokesman Lt. Col. Isaie Nibizi said. Nibizi blamed the attack on fighters from the armed wing of the main rebel Hutu group. The report could not be independently confirmed. Aid workers say the Bubanza region has become a battleground.
January 12, 1997 |
Soldiers shot and killed 126 Burundian Hutu refugees who tried to break out of a holding camp in northeastern Burundi, an army spokesman said. Lt. Col. Isaie Nibizi condemned the killings in Muyinga province and said seven soldiers had been arrested in the slayings. A spokesman said the government was investigating the incident. The refugees had apparently been expelled from Tanzania for fomenting trouble in camps there.