Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsMassacres
IN THE NEWS

Massacres

NATIONAL
August 4, 2005 | From Times Wire Reports
President Bush has signed into law a bill furthering the creation of the Sand Creek Massacre National Historic Site, more than 140 years after about 700 militiamen killed more than 160 Cheyenne and Arapaho Indians, mostly women, children and elderly men, in a surprise attack near what is now Chivington. Congress later determined that the attack was unprovoked. The law capped efforts begun by former Sen. Ben Nighthorse Campbell (R-Colo.). Rep. Marilyn N. Musgrave and Sen.
Advertisement
WORLD
September 20, 2005 | From Times Wire Reports
Former President Luis Echeverria was charged in connection with a 1968 massacre by soldiers and police at a student rally in Mexico City. Echeverria, interior minister at the time, and seven others face charges of genocide and kidnapping. Officials said about 30 people were killed, but witnesses put the toll as high as 300. A judge will rule as early as today on whether to issue arrest orders. In July, a judge found insufficient evidence of genocide when similar charges were filed.
WORLD
July 17, 2002 | From Times Wire Reports
UKRAINE * Builders at a Ukrainian monastery have unearthed about 130 skeletons, prompting officials to speculate that they stumbled on evidence of a massacre by Soviet secret police after World War II. The remains, some of children, were found under the floor in the monastery in western Ukraine that was once used by the Greek Catholic Church, banned by Soviet dictator Josef Stalin in 1946. "These people were buried so secretly that even the locals did not know they were in the monastery.
WORLD
July 23, 2002 | From Times Wire Reports
Prosecutors grilled an 80-year-old former Mexico City mayor about his alleged involvement in the deaths of more than 30 students in 1971, part of the country's effort to come to terms with violence in its past. At a heavily guarded hospital in the northern city of Monterrey, former Mayor Alfonso Martinez Dominguez sat in a wheelchair as officials read 95 questions. He invoked his right to remain silent.
WORLD
December 11, 2003 | From Times Wire Reports
A former Bosnian Serb army commander was jailed for 17 years by the war crimes tribunal in The Hague after confessing to his role in the 1995 Srebrenica massacre of more than 7,000 Muslim men and boys. Dragan Obrenovic, one of two ex-commanders to admit his role in Europe's worst massacre since World War II, had pleaded guilty at the U.N. court to one count of crimes against humanity. Five other counts, including extermination and murder, were dismissed.
WORLD
October 8, 2003 | From Times Wire Reports
The known death toll from a massacre in northeastern Congo rose to 65 people, including 40 children, United Nations spokesman Hamadoun Toure said. He said people were attacked in the remote village of Katshelli and other hamlets nearby and that more bodies still might be found. The dead had been either shot or hacked with machetes, U.N. officials said.
NEWS
May 19, 1988 | Associated Press
The Ayacucho Provincial Council accused soldiers Wednesday of killing at least 80 peasants in a village during the Pope's visit to Peru. The military denied the charge. A statement from the council, the region's top elective body, said that troops killed peasants during corn harvesting in Cayara, 50 miles south of Ayacucho, in retaliation for a leftist guerrilla attack against an army convoy hours earlier.
WORLD
June 12, 2002 | From Times Wire Reports
MEXICO * A retired Mexican congressman, a former student leader and a prominent historian have filed criminal complaints against 14 former federal and Mexico City officials, including ex-President Luis Echeverria, alleging involvement in or prior knowledge of a 1971 student massacre. The petition calls for a special prosecutor to conduct an investigation, but the prosecutor has not decided whether to do so.
NEWS
July 24, 2001 | From Associated Press
A U.N. inquiry has found Ivory Coast's paramilitary police responsible for the massacre of about 60 young men during turmoil in October that broke out as the president took office. Eight officers are scheduled to go on trial in Abidjan today for their alleged involvement in the killings. The bodies of about 60 young men were found in a field on the outskirts of Abidjan days after President Laurent Gbagbo was swept to power in a popular uprising after chaotic elections.
WORLD
May 11, 2005 | From Reuters
In a move called a setback for Haiti's judicial system, the Supreme Court has overturned the convictions of military leaders tried in a 1994 massacre of loyalists of the then-exiled president. In a case known as Raboteau after the seaside slum in Gonaives where the killings took place, Haiti's highest court voided murder convictions of dozens of military and paramilitary officers, many of whom had fled and were tried in absentia in 2000. The May 3 ruling was made available to Reuters on Tuesday.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|