October 8, 2003 |
The known death toll from a massacre in northeastern Congo rose to 65 people, including 40 children, United Nations spokesman Hamadoun Toure said. He said people were attacked in the remote village of Katshelli and other hamlets nearby and that more bodies still might be found. The dead had been either shot or hacked with machetes, U.N. officials said.
May 19, 1988 |
The Ayacucho Provincial Council accused soldiers Wednesday of killing at least 80 peasants in a village during the Pope's visit to Peru. The military denied the charge. A statement from the council, the region's top elective body, said that troops killed peasants during corn harvesting in Cayara, 50 miles south of Ayacucho, in retaliation for a leftist guerrilla attack against an army convoy hours earlier.
June 12, 2002 |
MEXICO * A retired Mexican congressman, a former student leader and a prominent historian have filed criminal complaints against 14 former federal and Mexico City officials, including ex-President Luis Echeverria, alleging involvement in or prior knowledge of a 1971 student massacre. The petition calls for a special prosecutor to conduct an investigation, but the prosecutor has not decided whether to do so.
July 24, 2001 |
A U.N. inquiry has found Ivory Coast's paramilitary police responsible for the massacre of about 60 young men during turmoil in October that broke out as the president took office. Eight officers are scheduled to go on trial in Abidjan today for their alleged involvement in the killings. The bodies of about 60 young men were found in a field on the outskirts of Abidjan days after President Laurent Gbagbo was swept to power in a popular uprising after chaotic elections.
May 11, 2005 |
In a move called a setback for Haiti's judicial system, the Supreme Court has overturned the convictions of military leaders tried in a 1994 massacre of loyalists of the then-exiled president. In a case known as Raboteau after the seaside slum in Gonaives where the killings took place, Haiti's highest court voided murder convictions of dozens of military and paramilitary officers, many of whom had fled and were tried in absentia in 2000. The May 3 ruling was made available to Reuters on Tuesday.
June 12, 2004 |
Bosnian Serb officials have acknowledged for the first time that their security forces carried out the massacre of thousands of Muslims at Srebrenica, said an investigative report released Friday. An official commission looking into Europe's worst massacre since World War II "established participation" of Bosnian Serb military and police units, including special police units, in the deaths, said Vedran Persic, a spokesman for Paddy Ashdown, Bosnia's international administrator.
July 9, 1991 |
The week before Richard Farley allegedly shot and killed seven people, he stockpiled weapons, practiced shooting and dropped from his will the former co-worker he had stalked for years, a prosecutor said Monday. Farley's friends and fiancee at the time said he seemed happy and "was getting his life together" just days before the Feb. 16, 1988, shootings, Assistant Dist. Atty. Charles Constantinides told a Santa Clara Superior Court jury at the start of Farley's trial.
July 11, 2003 |
A suspected planner of the 1997 Luxor massacre that killed 62 people -- mostly tourists -- was handed over by Uruguayan authorities to Egyptian police, Egypt's Middle East News Agency said. Uruguayan police arrested Mohammed Ali Hassan Mokhlis in early 1999. Mokhlis was taken into custody after his arrival at Cairo's international airport, according to the news agency. He is wanted in the Nov.
March 17, 2008 |
More than a thousand people gathered in My Lai to remember the victims of one of the most notorious chapters of the Vietnam War. On March 16, 1968, U.S. troops killed as many as 504 villagers, nearly all of them unarmed women, children and elderly. When the attack was uncovered, it horrified Americans, prompted military investigations and badly undermined support for the war. The memorial drew relatives, U.S. war veterans, peace activists and a delegation of Hiroshima and Nagasaki survivors.
August 24, 1987 |
A Polish official, in the first formal public acknowledgment of a pogrom that occurred 41 years ago, said Sunday that 42 Jews were killed by Poles in this city in 1946. Kazimierz Kakol, chairman of the commission investigating Nazi crimes in Poland, officially condemned the slayings during a ceremony marking the anniversary of the Nazis' massacre of 30,000 Kielce Jews on Aug. 23, 1943.