Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsMedia Outlets
IN THE NEWS

Media Outlets

CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
September 17, 2005 | From Times Staff and Wire Reports
A Colorado man has acknowledged that he called media outlets to report that a 7-foot alligator had been captured at a Los Angeles lake -- a report that turned out to be a hoax. Alamosa County Sheriff Dave Stong said Friday that James Solvig is under investigation on suspicion of criminal impersonation. No charges have been filed. The alligator, known as "Reggie," was dumped in a Harbor City lake several months ago.
Advertisement
SPORTS
July 19, 2013 | By Eric Sondheimer
 A group of parents have decided to fight back against the decision of Corona Santiago's administration to force out boys' basketball coach David Humphreys. In an email, representatives say they have more than 150 petitioners requesting a school board meeting or hearing seeking the reinstatment of Humphreys, who had been the coach for five years. "Our parents are outraged," according to the email sent to media outlets. This is the second controversy this summer involving the Corona-Norco Unified School District.
NATIONAL
August 9, 2012 | By Jenny Deam, This post has been corrected, as indicated below.
DENVER -- James Egan Holmes, the man accused of killing 12 people and injuring 58 others at an Aurora, Colo., movie theater on July 20, is expected to be in court Thursday in a hearing to unseal more details about the case. Twenty news media outlets, including the Los Angeles Times, have joined in a motion to ease a strict gag order imposed on the case by District Court Judge William Sylvester. That order bans anyone connected with the case from discussing it, including those at the University of Colorado.
SPORTS
November 1, 2012 | By Jim Peltz
No timetable is set to replace Randy Bernard, whose departure as chief executive of the Izod IndyCar Series sparked a storm of protest from some media outlets and fans this week, interim IndyCar Chief Executive Jeff Belskus said Thursday. Making his first public comments since Sunday, when IndyCar announced that Bernard had stepped down, Belskus acknowledged in an interview that "Randy was very popular" and that IndyCar "has a lot of passionate fans. " "We do plan to conduct a thorough search for a permanent replacement," said Belskus, who is also CEO of IndyCar's parent, Indianapolis Motor Speedway Corp.
NEWS
May 18, 2012 | By James Rainey
The Los Angeles Times will use a $1-million grant from the Ford Foundation to expand its coverage of key beats, including immigration and ethnic communities in Southern California, the southwest U.S. border and the emerging economic powerhouse of Brazil. Times Editor Davan Maharaj announced the grant Thursday, calling it "great news" that will bolster coverage of subjects vitally important to readers. A Ford Foundation spokesman said that as media organizations face challenges in funding reporting through advertising and traditional revenue streams, "we and many other funders are experimenting with new approaches to preserve and advance high-quality journalism.
NEWS
November 8, 2000 | JEFF LEEDS and DANA CALVO, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
Television networks, newspaper headlines and Web sites declared George W. Bush the 43rd president of the United States on Tuesday. Then they took it back early today. The tight race in Florida wreaked havoc with presidential projections Tuesday, prompting one of the national media's most embarrassing moments in history. "If you're disgusted with us, frankly, I don't blame you," Dan Rather told CBS viewers at one point in the evening.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 21, 2014 | From a Times Staff Writer
Prosecutors announced Friday that there was not enough evidence to charge a suspect in the fatal stabbing of a Dodgers fan last September in San Francisco, according to a report from the San Jose Mercury News . Michael Montgomery, 21, was arrested last September but then released, with officials saying they lacked the evidence to charge him. Montgomery was one of two men held for questioning after the stabbing death of Jonathan Denver,...
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 16, 2014 | By Robert J. Lopez
Huntington Beach police on Thursday were looking for additional possible victims of a man charged with using social media to gather lewd photos of underage victims. The 10 victims included at least one boy and ranged in age from 11 to 15 years old, according to the Huntington Beach Police Department. Police said Jackson Roland Westermeyer used a Kik Messenger app to solicit photos from some of the victims. He allegedly identified himself as a woman and used the name "KatKat777" when messaging victims, according to police.
NATIONAL
June 14, 2012 | By Kim Christensen and Jason Felch, Los Angeles Times
The Oregon Supreme Court on Thursday ordered the release of 1,247 confidential Boy Scouts of America files, the first step toward publicly lifting the veil on 20 years of alleged child sexual abuse by troop leaders and others within the organization. Also known as the "ineligible volunteer" or "perversion" files, the 20,000 pages ordered to be unsealed span two decades beginning in 1965, a portion of such records the Scouts have kept under lock and key since the 1920s. The files played a key role as evidence in a landmark Oregon lawsuit in 2010 that resulted in the largest judgment ever against the Scouts in a molestation case.
BUSINESS
May 15, 2012 | By Jerry Hirsch and Andrea Chang, Los Angeles Times
General Motors Co.plans to pull its paid advertising from Facebook Inc. after the nation's largest automaker determined its ads on the social network had little effect on consumers. The move represents an ill-timed setback for Facebook, which is gearing up for what is expected to be the largest ever initial public stock offering of an Internet company. In the run-up to its IPO, expected Friday, investors have been weighing Facebook's revenue prospects and have questioned the effectiveness of advertising on the social networking site.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|