Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsMenil Collection Museum
IN THE NEWS

Menil Collection Museum

FEATURED ARTICLES
ENTERTAINMENT
January 22, 1988 | ZAN DUBIN
The proposed $30-million Armand Hammer Museum of Art and Cultural Center will join a growing list of new, smaller museums that have recently sprung up around the nation. Costs for constructing and operating museum buildings vary from city to city. Art world officials say that costs generally run at least $125 a square foot for new repositories and an additional $2 million a year for maintenance.
ARTICLES BY DATE
Advertisement
NEWS
January 2, 1998 | From Times Wire Services
Dominique de Menil, the French-born daughter of an oil industry pioneer who used her wealth to amass a great art collection, has died at the age of 89. Aide Elsian Cousins said the arts patron and human rights activist died Wednesday of natural causes. De Menil was president of the Carter-Menil Human Rights Foundation, which she founded in 1985 with former President Carter. In a statement, Carter called De Menil a "human rights hero."
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 31, 1989
The board of trustees of the Newport Harbor Art Museum voted Thursday night to approve Genoese architect Renzo Piano's schematic design for the museum's new building. The 75,000-square-foot structure, to be built on the corner of MacArthur Boulevard and Pacific Coast Highway, will open sometime in 1992. Newport Harbor will not allow Piano's drawings or models for the building to be reproduced in the press at this time, but a general description is to be released Saturday.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
November 12, 1987 | ALLAN JALON, Times Staff Writer
The next major cultural project in Orange County took a big step forward Wednesday night with the tentative selection of Italian architect Renzo Piano--known for his work on the Centre Georges Pompidou cultural center in Paris--to build a new $20-million home for the Newport Harbor Art Museum.
ENTERTAINMENT
February 1, 1989 | CATHY CURTIS, Times Staff Writer
Italian architect Renzo Piano will unveil his final design for the Newport Harbor Art Museum's new building on March 28 during a lecture at UC Irvine, the last in a four-part series of evening talks about museum design by internationally prominent architects. "Artworks or Containers: Issues in Contemporary Museum Architecture" is being jointly sponsored by Newport Harbor and the Architecture Foundation of Orange County.
ENTERTAINMENT
October 22, 1988 | MARK I.PINSKY, Times Staff Writer
In art, as in life, things are not always what they seem. The drawings of the proposed Newport Harbor Art Museum displayed Thursday at a Newport Beach reception, for example, fell somewhere between an impressionistic and an abstract vision of the $20-million facility. In other words, museum director Kevin E. Consey said, there was no guarantee that these drawings and the final plans would look anything like each other.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 5, 1990 | ZAN DUBIN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Donald L. Bren has hired William Pedersen, an architect from New York City, to provide an alternative to Renzo Piano's design for the Newport Harbor Art Museum's proposed new building. Museum officials last week revealed that an architect, whom they would not name, had been engaged by an unnamed "friend" of the museum without prior approval of the museum board. On Monday, both Pedersen and a senior museum official who requested anonymity confirmed the hiring and Bren's involvement.
ENTERTAINMENT
January 16, 1988 | ALLAN JALON, Times Staff Writer
Among the Newport Harbor Art Museum's key criteria for choosing an architect to design its new home in Corona del Mar was that the person be an internationally recognized talent not represented by other major buildings in the Los Angeles area. After an 18-month examination of dozens of architects, the museum's search committee settled on Renzo Piano, a Paris-based Italian who was in Orange County last week for his first site visit.
NEWS
January 18, 2001 | CANDACE A. WEDLAN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
This is no small trend, all this hand-holding between renowned artists and big business. Photographer William Wegman just did Christmas window dressing for some Saks Fifth Avenue department stores. Last week, fashion designer Todd Oldham provided design commentary for Carpoint.com at the Detroit Auto Show. Now, architect Renzo Piano has crafted door handles for Valli & Valli.
ENTERTAINMENT
June 1, 1989 | ZAN DUBIN
In the face of financial woes, Houston's esteemed Menil Collection, a museum housing one of the country's finest private art collections, has disclosed a $35-million endowment campaign. Without an endowment, the museum eventually would have to close its doors, said Dominique de Menil, the museum's founder and chief patron. So far, about $26 million toward the endowment has been raised, she said--including her own $17.5 million gift. The 2-year-old museum, containing 10,000 objects from ancient to contemporary times assembled over 40 years by De Menil and her late husband, John, is governed by the Menil Foundation, which the couple established in the 1950s.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|