February 16, 1985 |
The Labor Department said Friday it has issued citations for safety violations at two of the five U.S. plants that make or use methyl isocyanate, the deadly chemical that killed more than 2,000 persons in Bhopal, India, last Dec. 3. The department's Occupational Safety and Health Administration, which inspected all five plants in December and January, said in a report, however, that the odds are "extremely remote" that a similar chemical disaster could occur in this nation.
March 8, 1985
Union Carbide Corp. has started preliminary construction work needed to reopen its methyl isocyanate unit in Institute, W. Va., which has been closed since more than 2,000 persons died in a Bhopal, India, accident Dec. 3, company spokesman Thad Epps said. Epps said that the company will spend $5 million to $10 million for facilities to convert methyl isocyanate, a pesticide ingredient, to a safer state.
January 25, 1985 |
Three months before toxic gas leaking from a Union Carbide Corp. plant in Bhopal, India, killed more than 2,000 persons and injured thousands more, the company's own safety experts warned that "real potential" existed for a catastrophic leak of the same chemical from Carbide's plant in Institute, W.Va., according to an internal company report.
January 5, 1985 |
Water entering an underground storage tank probably caused last month's Bhopal gas disaster in which more than 2,000 people died, a top-level Indian government scientist was reported as saying Friday. The Press Trust of India said Dr. S. Varadarajan, scientific adviser to the government, told a meeting of the Indian Science Congress in Lucknow that the water set off a violent runaway reaction in liquid methyl isocyanate stored in the tank at a pesticide factory owned by Union Carbide Corp.
June 24, 1987
Tens of thousands of panic-stricken residents of Bhopal, India fled their homes after ammonia gas leaked from an ice factory adjacent to the Union Carbide plant where a leak of methyl isocyanate killed more than 2,000 people in 1984. Police said that ammonia fumes, which cause eye irritation but are non-toxic, leaked from a valve on cooling equipment. Police said no casualties were reported but that several people were injured as residents rushed to get out of the area.