Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsMetropolitan Opera
IN THE NEWS

Metropolitan Opera

ENTERTAINMENT
November 26, 2003 | From Associated Press
For the first time in its 120-year history, New York's Metropolitan Opera will take a break in the middle of its season. The change at the tradition-bound Met starts with the 2004-05 season. It takes into account decreased ticket sales after the Christmas and New Year's holidays and will allow for a better rehearsal schedule, Met general manager Joseph Volpe said. With no performances at the Metropolitan Opera House during the weeks of Jan.
Advertisement
ENTERTAINMENT
March 20, 1987 | ALLAN JALON
Celeste Tavera, a resident of Orange, was one of 11 singers to win the National Metropolitan Opera Auditions Sunday in New York. Tavera, 28, will receive a $5,000 education grant and will join the other winners for a March 29 performance with the Metropolitan Opera orchestra, conducted by Richard Woitach. Repertory for the concert, to be broadcast on KUSC-FM on April 3 at 7 p.m., has not been set.
ENTERTAINMENT
October 15, 1991 | CHRIS PASLES
Soprano Jennifer Smith, 27, of Tustin, came in first; Mel Whitehead, a 33-year-old bass from Anaheim, came in second, and Laura Fries, a 31-year-old soprano from Fountain Valley, came in third on Sunday among the 12 participants in the Orange County district Metropolitan Opera auditions held at Chapman University. Each winner will compete in regional finals Nov. 1 and 2 at USC.
ENTERTAINMENT
May 3, 2004 | From Associated Press
The Metropolitan Opera says it has extended by five years the contract of music director James Levine. "Nothing could make me happier than to continue my long association with this great company and to build on all the artistic accomplishments we have made," Levine said. Joseph Volpe, the Met's general manager, said the contract had been extended from 2006-07 through the 2010-11 season.
NATIONAL
January 26, 2005 | From Associated Press
Beverly Sills, the hometown diva who became a major fundraiser for the Metropolitan Opera, resigned Tuesday as the organization's chairwoman, citing personal reasons. "It's the right time to leave and concentrate on my family," Sills, 75, said in a statement. "I know that I have achieved what I set out to do." Sills sang for international audiences for more than three decades before retiring from the stage in 1980.
ENTERTAINMENT
April 6, 2007 | From Bloomberg News
New York City's Metropolitan Opera received a $10-million grant Thursday from the Annenberg Foundation. About $7.4 million will underwrite productions over the next four years and $1.6 million will establish a fund to support top singers, the opera house said. The remaining $1 million will pay for the Met's 40th anniversary celebration, which was held on Tuesday.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|