YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsMexican Authorities

Mexican Authorities

March 31, 2009 | Richard Marosi
A U.S. man found dead on a Tijuana street last week has been identified as 19-year-old Shane Pennington, according to the U.S. Consulate in Tijuana. The Baja California attorney general's office, which has not confirmed Pennington's identity, said the body had suffered stab wounds and was left on a street near a beach-side bullring. Mexican authorities have not determined a motive and did not know why Pennington was in Mexico. Pennington worked at a restaurant in Orange County and was born in North Carolina.
August 15, 2002 | From Times Wire Reports
A Mexican national suspected of involvement in a shootout in which a National Park Service ranger was killed was charged with transporting bullets into the U.S. U.S. Magistrate Bernardo Velasco ordered Dionicio Ramirez Lopez, 20, held after he waived a preliminary hearing in Tucson.
July 6, 2000
Police said Wednesday they were investigating the death of a 15-year-old Ontario girl whose parents drove her body 250 miles to a local hospital Monday after she reportedly drowned in a boating accident near Mexicali. The girl, Stacy Beckett, was with a group of teenagers on a boat that had gone out Sunday "patrolling on a river," said Chino Sgt. Stuart Jones. Family members told police she fell off and her friends couldn't locate her, Jones said. The family sought help from the U.S.
October 8, 2003 | Anna Gorman, Times Staff Writer
Frustrated that ex-convicts are appearing on their side of the border without warning, Mexican officials are demanding more notice when U.S. authorities deport criminals after they are released from prison. Convicted killers, robbers and drug dealers who complete their U.S. sentences are often sent across the border with no advance notification, Mexican consular and law enforcement officials say. Mexican authorities want the U.S.
January 24, 1996
Sheriff's homicide investigators have contacted Mexican authorities, seeking help in tracking down the companion of a 72-year-old Manhattan Beach artist who was recently found slain in his home. Roberto Lopez, 27, is believed to have fled to an unspecified location in Mexico after the beating death of Lester Hunter, whose body was found on the floor of his home Jan. 14.
September 20, 2008 | Ken Ellingwood, Times Staff Writer
Authorities have cleared three men who were arrested in connection with a deadly grenade attack on a public celebration in western Mexico. The federal attorney general's office said in a statement issued late Thursday that the men had "no link" to the attack Monday on crowds gathered for Independence Day festivities in Morelia, capital of Michoacan state. Seven people died and more than 100 others were injured in the twin blasts, which Mexican authorities blamed on organized crime.
February 12, 2009 | Richard Marosi
A Mexican man wanted in connection with the death of a U.S. Border Patrol agent last year has been arrested in Mexico and is being held pending extradition, according to U.S. federal authorities. This is the second time Mexican authorities have arrested Jesus Navarro Montes, a 23-year-old alleged drug smuggler who U.S. officials suspect drove a sport utility vehicle that ran over agent Luis Aguilar at the Imperial Sand Dunes in Imperial County on Jan. 19, 2008. After an intense, three-day manhunt, Navarro was captured in Mexicali, but Mexican authorities released him last June, drawing criticism from U.S. officials.
March 11, 2011 | By Kim Murphy and Ken Ellingwood, Los Angeles Times Staff Writers
Lawmakers in Mexico are demanding an investigation into a U.S. law enforcement operation that allowed hundreds of weapons to flow into the hands of Mexican drug cartels amid claims from a ranking legislator that at least 150 Mexicans have been killed or wounded by guns trafficked by smugglers under the watch of U.S. agents. U.S. authorities say manpower shortages and the high number of weapons sold resulted in their losing track of hundreds of guns, from pistols to .50-caliber sniper rifles, though a federal agent deeply involved in the Phoenix-based operation said it was "impossible" that U.S. authorities did not know the weapons were headed for Mexico.
July 3, 2010 | By Ken Ellingwood, Los Angeles Times
Mexican authorities said Friday they have arrested the leader of a Ciudad Juarez street gang who they say ordered the killing of a U.S. consular worker in the border town in March. Federal police said Jesus Ernesto Chavez told them that consular employee Lesley A. Enriquez, 35, was targeted because she was providing visas to rivals. Police said Chavez, 41, also confessed to having taken part in a January shooting attack on a party that killed 15 people, mostly teenagers, and raised an outcry in Mexico over the runaway violence that has made Ciudad Juarez the deadliest city in the nation.
The Mexican government said it would formally request today the extradition of two men who allegedly plotted the kidnaping of a Guadalajara doctor accused in the murder of U.S. drug agent Enrique S. Camarena. The bulletin from the Mexican Foreign Ministry, released Thursday, also stated that the U.S. State Department has replied to Mexico's requests for information about the abduction and the return of the doctor for questioning by Mexican authorities.
Los Angeles Times Articles