October 15, 1988 |
In a conflict with Nicaragua's Roman Catholic cardinal, the Sandinista government has moved to paralyze two independent groups that monitor its adherence to peace accords with neighboring countries and U.S.-backed rebels. One of the bodies, the National Reconciliation Commission, was set up to oversee Nicaraguan compliance with the five-nation Central American peace agreement of August, 1987.
April 21, 1988 |
Cardinal Miguel Obando y Bravo threatened Wednesday to halt his participation in peace talks between the government and U.S.-backed Contras because of "insults" against him by the ruling Sandinista party. In a broadcast Tuesday, Radio Sandino, the official voice of the Sandinista National Liberation Front, accused the Roman Catholic leader of "being the intellectual director of the counterrevolution and therefore responsible for the crimes and assassinations of elderly people and children."
April 1, 1988 |
In an impassioned Holy Week appeal, Nicaragua's Roman Catholic primate admonished Sandinista and rebel leaders Thursday not to betray the hopes raised by their preliminary peace accord. "The government and the resistance have given their word before the Nicaraguan people and the world," Cardinal Miguel Obando y Bravo said. "To break their word would be to lose credibility forever and pass into the darkest pages of history."
March 8, 1988 |
Cardinal Miguel Obando y Bravo and Joao Baena Soares, the secretary general of the Organization of American States, have accepted invitations to be witnesses at talks between the government and the Contras, the official Voice of Nicaragua radio station said Monday. The agreement appeared to ease the way for truce negotiations starting Wednesday in Sapoa, on the border with Costa Rica. President Daniel Ortega last week said Obando was no longer needed as a mediator in talks with the U.S.
March 3, 1988 |
The Sandinista government Wednesday dismissed Cardinal Miguel Obando y Bravo as mediator in the Nicaraguan conflict and offered to meet with rebel leaders for cease-fire talks inside the country. President Daniel Ortega made the surprise announcement after an evening visit to the Roman Catholic leader, who had irritated the government by putting political issues on the agenda in four previous negotiating sessions. The shift in government strategy came on the eve of a vote in the U.S.
February 29, 1988 |
Cardinal Miguel Obando y Bravo said Sunday that the Sandinista government is blocking his bid to mediate the Nicaraguan conflict by refusing to discuss political issues in the next cease-fire talks. In a homily, the Roman Catholic leader defended his proposal to condition a preliminary 30-day truce on a government amnesty for all political prisoners, full press freedom and a revision of the law obliging young men to serve in the Sandinista army.