Advertisement
 
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsMiguel Cotto
IN THE NEWS

Miguel Cotto

SPORTS
February 19, 2013 | By Lance Pugmire
Floyd Mayweather Jr. announced Tuesday he will return to the ring for the first time in a year to fight Robert Guerrero on May 4, probably at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, as part of a new deal with Showtime and CBS for up to six fights in 30 months. Mayweather, 35, hasn't fought since May 5, 2012, when he defeated Miguel Cotto by unanimous decision. He has previously been a mainstay on HBO pay-per-view, his 2007 victory over Oscar De La Hoya standing as the most lucrative event in boxing history.
Advertisement
SPORTS
October 23, 2012 | By Lance Pugmire
Saul "Canelo" Alvarez has told his promoter he doesn't want to fight until Cinco de Mayo weekend, and wants his opponent to be either unbeaten world welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr., former super-welterweight champion Miguel Cotto or middleweight champion Sergio Martinez. Alvarez's promoter, Richard Schaefer, told The Times on Tuesday that "Canelo" rejected attempts to have him fight in January on the heels of his dominant fifth-round technical knockout of Josesito Lopez on Sept.
SPORTS
October 4, 2012 | By Lance Pugmire
Orlando Cruz lifted what he said was a major “distraction” in his boxing career, announcing he is gay. Cruz, 31, a member of the 2000 Olympic team who is 18-2-1 with nine knockouts as a professional, released a statement Wednesday night in which he said: “I've been fighting for more than 24 years and as I continue my ascendant career, I want to be true to myself. I want to try to be the best role model I can be for kids who might look into boxing as a sport and a professional career.
SPORTS
September 17, 2012 | By Lance Pugmire
LAS VEGAS — After the 10th round of what would be Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.'s first loss, boxing's power brokers briefly huddled. The big question for the honchos: How are we going to rehabilitate this guy's reputation? Chavez took care of that himself. By producing a stirring, promising rally that revealed his fighting heart like never before, Chavez knocked down Sergio Martinez in the 12th round and appeared one more big blow away from victory when the bell rang, clinching Martinez's unanimous-decision triumph in the World Boxing Council middleweight championship bout.
SPORTS
September 14, 2012 | By Lance Pugmire
Juan Manuel Marquez said he believes he got a fourth shot at Manny Pacquiao for the same reason he wants the fight. “I want to win the fight officially,” Marquez said Friday. Pacquiao agreed Wednesday to fight Marquez on Dec. 8 in Las Vegas after the pair have fought to a 2004 draw, a 2008 split-decision and a November majority decision each won by Pacquiao. Marquez said the process of waiting for Pacquiao to decide to fight him after a drawn-out deliberation that included consideration of Miguel Cotto and Timothy Bradley was agonizing.
SPORTS
September 12, 2012 | By Lance Pugmire
After much deliberation, Manny Pacquiao decided that meeting his foil, Juan Manuel Marquez, for a fourth time trumps avenging a controversial loss in a fight most believe he won. Two sources close to the negotiations but unauthorized to speak publicly about the deal, told The Times on Wednesday that Pacquiao (54-4-2, 38 knockouts) will fight Marquez on Dec. 8 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas after rejecting a rematch with Timothy Bradley. Pacquiao edged Marquez in a majority decision in November, and the two have been separated by only the slightest of margins in their prior 36 rounds.
SPORTS
August 31, 2012 | By Lance Pugmire
Manny Pacquiao could decide on his next opponent by this weekend, and Miguel Cotto appears to be out of the running, Pacquiao's promoter said Friday. Promoter Bob Arum said Pacquiao has told one of his advisors that he expects to choose either a rematch with Timothy Bradley or a fourth fight against Juan Manuel Marquez. Arum said the fight will be Dec. 8 in Las Vegas, most likely at MGM Grand. Bradley, the unbeaten Palm Springs fighter, won a highly controversial split-decision over Pacquiao on June 9 at MGM Grand.
SPORTS
August 28, 2012 | By Lance Pugmire
Manny Pacquiao's fall opponent was supposed to be known by now. He's not, and neither is the date of the Pacquiao's next fight. Pacquiao's promoter Bob Arum told The Times on Tuesday he's still "waiting to hear" from Pacquiao about his intentions. Arum said he remained in "conversations" with possible opponents, including Miguel Cotto, but gave little information beyond that. "I can't go blabbing to the press, who will trust me?" Arum said. "I have no date set, nothing.
SPORTS
May 7, 2012 | By Lance Pugmire
The attorney for former WBA super-welterweight champion Miguel Cotto said there is high interest by those angling for his next fight, and three major promoters confirm they are interested in the free agent's next bout. "The phone's ringing off the hook," Cotto attorney Gaby Penagaricano said. Cotto (37-3) was outscored by unanimous decision Saturday night by unbeaten Floyd Mayweather Jr.at MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Yet, Mayweather said it was arguably his most difficult fight to date, and the new champion was left swollen and impressed.
SPORTS
May 6, 2012 | By Lance Pugmire
LAS VEGAS — At the end of a tough, long night, Floyd Mayweather Jr. was left staring at a June 1 jail sentence and a boxing landscape that he seems to believe cannot deliver another quality opponent. The unbeaten 35-year-old champion late Saturday said he's leaning "80-20" toward retirement. "If it was my last fight, I gave them a bang," Mayweather (43-0) said after his unanimous-decision (118-110, 117-111, 117-111) triumph over Puerto Rico's Miguel Cotto (37-3) at the MGM Grand.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|