Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsMilitary Desertions
IN THE NEWS

Military Desertions

CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 14, 1999
A man accused of fatally shooting his brother-in-law in an alleged dispute over video games is scheduled to be charged in court Monday. Paul Myers, 30, was arrested Wednesday on suspicion of gunning down brother-in-law Jason Weaver, 26, in the garage at Myers' Moorpark home. Myers was due in court Friday to enter a plea to a charge of murder, but prosecutors say a paperwork delay prevented them from bringing charges. The hearing was postponed until Monday.
Advertisement
NEWS
December 23, 1998 | From Times Wire Reports
Lt. Col. Hildegardo Bacilio Gomez, who led a small group of soldiers on a rare protest march against the military justice system last week, was charged with desertion after he failed to show up for duty for the third straight day. The protest by the group, the Patriotic Command of the Conscience of the People, broke the quiet obedience the Mexican army has maintained in recent decades. The chief military prosecutor said the desertion charge had nothing to do with the march.
NEWS
July 23, 1998 | JANE HALL, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The two television producers who were fired over their story alleging the use of nerve gas by the U.S. military during the Vietnam War attacked CNN's internal investigation of the report Wednesday, saying it was biased against them and that CNN management had succumbed to pressure from the military in retracting their story. "This [internal report] suggests that it is designed to absolve CNN management . . .
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 18, 1998 | H.G. REZA, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A California National Guard soldier who was found dead last month in Germany and who became the center of an ongoing dispute between the guard and the U.S. Army, killed himself, according to an autopsy report released Thursday. Meanwhile, a separate document indicated that a National Guard official has filed a complaint with the Department of Defense Inspector General's office, alleging that three Army officers conspired to wrongly accuse the man of being a deserter.
NEWS
July 3, 1998 | JOSH GETLIN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
In a serious blow to two leading American news organizations, officials of CNN and Time magazine on Thursday retracted a story they ran last month alleging that the U.S. military used deadly nerve gas during a 1970 attack on defectors in a small Laotian village. The explosive story, which aired on the premier broadcast of "NewsStand," a joint venture of Time and CNN, "cannot be supported," said Tom Johnson, CNN News Group chairman.
NEWS
June 9, 1998 | PAUL RICHTER, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Defense Secretary William S. Cohen on Monday ordered an investigation into allegations that a Special Forces commando unit violated U.S. policy and international norms by using nerve gas to kill American defectors and North Vietnamese during a secret 1970 raid into Laos.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 10, 1998 | H.G. REZA, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The U.S. Army has reopened its investigation into the disappearance last year of a California National Guard soldier trained in Los Alamitos and assigned to Germany as part of the peacekeeping effort in Bosnia, officials said Thursday. The new probe was ordered after Army officials found that the initial investigation into the disappearance of Spec. Mason Jacques Karl O'Neal was mishandled, military sources in Washington said. National Guard spokesman Lt. Col.
NEWS
April 1, 1998 | H.G. REZA, TIMES STAFF WRITER
In January 1997, a company of 125 California National Guard soldiers went to Germany as part of the United States peacekeeping effort in Bosnia. In September, 124 returned. Spec. Mason Jacques Karl O'Neal of Sunnyvale was not among them. His strange disappearance has triggered an odd and bitter war of words between two powerful governmental entities, the Army and the National Guard.
OPINION
February 22, 1998 | CHARLES JACO, Charles Jaco, a CNN correspondent during the Gulf War, is the author of a novel about chemical and biological warfare, "Dead Air," to be published in March by Ballantine Books
I have been horrified countless times covering nine wars and other assignments in 60 countries. But I've only been embarrassed twice. Once was when a freelancer for Mirabella magazine asked female soldiers during the Gulf War if it was difficult to find privacy to masturbate. The other time was when Jose Marti Airport resembled the fall of Saigon as network anchors abandoned Havana in the middle of Pope John Paul II's visit to join the Zippergate media mob.
NEWS
September 24, 1997 | TONY PERRY, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A 48-year-old Marine Corps deserter from the Vietnam era escaped a prison sentence Tuesday when a military judge gave him a bad-conduct discharge and permission to return to Canada. Randall J. Caudill was sentenced after a brief hearing that summoned up the bitterness and division that were prevalent in America in 1968, the year Caudill deserted. "He made a mistake in 1968, but so did many, many people who dodged the draft or deserted," said Maj.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|