Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsMilitary Misconduct
IN THE NEWS

Military Misconduct

WORLD
September 1, 2007 | Tony Perry, Times Staff Writer
A Marine squad leader executed five Iraqi men after a roadside bomb blast killed a Marine and then told squad members to falsely claim that the men were shot while running away, a member of his squad testified Friday. Sgt. Sanick P. Dela Cruz said he saw Staff Sgt. Frank D. Wuterich fire his M-16 at the five as they stood beside a taxi in which they had been riding in the Iraqi village of Haditha, some with their hands locked behind their heads.
Advertisement
WORLD
August 30, 2007 | From Times Wire Reports
Prosecutors charged a Russian soldier in connection with the death of a conscript who allegedly was beaten by two drunken officers and left overnight in a dog kennel. Cpl. Vadim Kalinin was charged with deliberate bodily harm resulting in death and with exceeding his authority in connection with the Aug. 15 beating of Pvt. Sergei Sinkonen, who died Monday. Maj. Gen.
NATIONAL
August 29, 2007 | Richard A. Serrano, Times Staff Writer
The only military officer to be court-martialed in the Abu Ghraib prison scandal was acquitted Tuesday of any criminal responsibility for the widespread abuse of Iraqi prisoners, but he was found guilty of disobeying an order not to talk about the investigation. Lt. Col. Steven L. Jordan, 51, a career Army soldier, was in charge of gathering military intelligence at the prison. But according to testimony at the weeklong court-martial at Ft. Meade, Md.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 24, 2007 | Tony Perry, Times Staff Writer
SAN DIEGO -- A Marine drill instructor has been charged with 91 counts of assaulting recruits at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot here, the Marine Corps confirmed Thursday. Sgt. Jerrod Glass was relieved of duty as a drill instructor after an investigation and faces a general court-martial Nov. 8, officials said. Glass faces multiple counts of failing to obey an order, cruelty and destruction of property. Two other drill instructors, Sgt. Robert C. Hankins and Sgt. Brian M.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 17, 2007 | Sara Lin, Times Staff Writer
A former Marine sergeant, who until last week was serving as a Riverside police officer, pleaded not guilty Thursday to voluntary manslaughter charges in the killing of unarmed prisoners in Iraq in 2004. Jose Luis Nazario Jr., 27, who appeared Thursday in a U.S. District Court in Riverside, is accused of killing two unarmed men in Fallouja on Nov. 9, 2004, during a battle to clear the city of insurgents.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 16, 2007 | Joe Mozingo and Tony Perry, Times Staff Writers
The U.S. attorney in Los Angeles has filed charges against a former Marine sergeant for his alleged role in the killing of eight unarmed Iraqi prisoners during a November 2004 battle in Fallouja, according to military and civilian sources. Jose Nazario, a Murrieta resident who worked as a sworn officer in the Riverside Police Department until his termination last week, is expected to appear in a federal courtroom in Riverside today.
NATIONAL
August 15, 2007 | From Times Wire Reports
A soldier charged with beating an Iraqi detainee with a baseball bat and trying to cover it up was convicted at Ft. Lee and sentenced to be reprimanded. A six-person military jury convicted Sgt. 1st Class Timothy L. Drake, 40, of assault and making false statements but acquitted him of impeding the investigation and encouraging a fellow soldier to beat a detainee. Drake will not serve jail time.
WORLD
August 11, 2007 | Tony Perry, Times Staff Writer
The last of five infantry squad members who pleaded guilty in the kidnapping and killing last year of an unarmed Iraqi man in Hamandiya was freed Friday after a review of his sentence. Lt. Gen. James N. Mattis, commanding general of Marine Forces Central Command, ordered the release of Marine Pvt. Robert Pennington, who had served 15 months of an eight-year sentence, after a meeting at Camp Pendleton with Pennington and his parents.
WORLD
August 8, 2007 | Tony Perry, Times Staff Writer
Two Marines who admitted taking part in the kidnapping and killing of an unarmed Iraqi man have been released from the brig at Camp Pendleton, the Marine Corps announced Tuesday, leaving only one of the five men who pleaded guilty still behind bars. Tyler A. Jackson and Jerry E. Shumate Jr. were ordered released by Lt. Gen. James N. Mattis, commanding general of the Marine Forces Central Command.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|