Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsMilitary Prison
IN THE NEWS

Military Prison

OPINION
October 4, 2006
Re "Detainee Bill Boosts the GOP," Sept. 30 It's hard to understand why such a disastrous piece of legislation would "boost" anyone who had a part in its passage. Such a gross insult to what it means to be American would have previously been unimaginable any time in the postwar era. We are about to vest in the president the power to order anyone detained indefinitely in a military prison regardless of where they are -- on U.S. soil or outside the country. Detainees are cut off from any meaningful judicial review.
Advertisement
NEWS
January 7, 1986 | United Press International
An Egyptian policeman sentenced to 25 years in prison for murdering seven Israelis in the Sinai Desert hanged himself in his room at a prison hospital today, authorities said. A formal statement issued by the military prison said prison guards found police Sgt. Suleiman Khater, 24, hanging by a strip of bedding from the iron bars of a window in his hospital room at around 10 a.m.
NEWS
April 9, 2002 | From the Washington Post
Justice Department officials have decided not to charge the American-born prisoner who was transferred from a U.S. military prison in Cuba to Norfolk, Va., last week, concluding that U.S. prosecutors lack enough incriminating information, officials said. That leaves the detainee, Yaser Esam Hamdi, 22, in legal limbo as government lawyers try to determine whether there is a way to charge him under U.S. military law.
ENTERTAINMENT
October 19, 2001 | KENNETH TURAN, TIMES FILM CRITIC
Just because all inmates of the military prison known as the Castle are disgraced former soldiers, don't believe they don't still have the stuff of heroes in them. Just because these men have committed the worst kinds of crimes, don't think they can't be as self-sacrificing as the Little Sisters of the Poor.
NATIONAL
May 4, 2013 | By Richard A. Serrano, Los Angeles Times
WASHINGTON - Obaidullah, an Afghan villager captured with diagrams of improvised bombs, has marked nearly 11 years as a detainee at the U.S. naval base on Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. Three months ago, outraged by what he called another prison "shakedown," he joined a hunger strike there, and now is locked in solitary confinement with at least 100 fellow detainees. "I have seen men who are on the verge of death being taken away to be force-fed," Obaidullah said in a federal court affidavit declassified Friday.
OPINION
January 18, 2012 | By Kal Raustiala
Of all the hangovers from the George W. Bush years, the thorniest may be what to do about the U.S. military prison camp at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. There are still 171 detainees at Guantanamo and little consensus on what to do with them. Last spring, President Obama announced the resumption of military trials for some of those charged with participating in the 9/11 attacks. These trials, known as military commissions, have been stalled for years by legal challenges. Recently, the official in charge of the Guantanamo prison, Rear Adm. David Woods, issued a draft order that compounds these challenges.
NATIONAL
July 16, 2008 | From the Associated Press
Burying his face in his hands, a 16-year-old captured in Afghanistan sobs and calls out, "Oh, Mommy," in a hidden-camera video that provides the first look at interrogations in the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. Lawyers for Toronto-born Omar Khadr released the tapes Tuesday in hopes of generating sympathy for the young prisoner and of persuading Canada to seek custody of him before Khadr is prosecuted on war crimes charges at the U.S. special tribunal at Guantanamo this year.
OPINION
February 19, 2006
The Feb. 14 editorial "The Gitmo disgrace" is based not on a study done and sanctioned by the United Nations but on one done by an independent group of individuals appointed by the Geneva-based U.N. Human Rights Commission. This group based its findings not on firsthand knowledge but on interviews with recently released detainees and their lawyers. Here's what my investigation has determined. These findings are based on being in Gitmo every day for the last 365 days. They are based on my experience as a state prosecutor who is familiar with the law and the rules of evidence.
WORLD
January 17, 2006 | From Associated Press
A military hospital pronounced the Turk who shot Pope John Paul II unfit for military service, ending days of speculation over whether 48-year-old Mehmet Ali Agca would be forced to serve. Agca hid behind a beret as he entered the grounds of the military hospital in a car, his first public appearance since he vanished after his release from a high-security prison last week.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|