Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsMissing Children
IN THE NEWS

Missing Children

NEWS
November 19, 1997 | TONY PERRY, TIMES STAFF WRITER
As FBI agents in San Diego and Puerto Rico continued to investigate the 1990 kidnapping of 14-month-old Crystal Leann Anzaldi, her parents said Tuesday they never gave up hope that their daughter would be found alive. "This just put me into tears," Jeffrey Anzaldi, the child's father, said of the news that Crystal, now 8, had been found. "I was so happy I couldn't talk. All I could do was sit in a chair."
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 12, 2000 | BOB POOL, TIMES STAFF WRITER
In his darkest hour--on the day his daughter disappeared without a trace--Ken Miyasaki felt that the police were his brightest hope. An officer from the Culver City Police Department took his report about how 13-year-old Ariane Miyasaki had ditched school with a friend and then unsuccessfully tried to withdraw $4,000 from a bank in Santa Monica.
NEWS
December 23, 1996 | TONY PERRY, TIMES STAFF WRITER
It's Christmas time and that means child-stealing season is with us once again. Take the case of Eugia Edwards Morse who, according to authorities, boldly snatched her three children from the sidewalk in front of their school in this suburb east of San Diego. The aspiring actress hired a singing-telegram service to create a distraction one morning while she hustled her children, ages 10, 8 and 5, into a car and sped off into hiding.
NEWS
January 24, 1998 | From Associated Press
Seven years of heartbreak gave way to joy Friday as the parents of a child kidnapped seven years ago in California were reunited with the girl they remember as a chubby, 14-month-old toddler. Pain overshadowed the joy, however, when officials disclosed that Crystal Leann Anzaldi, now 8, was physically and emotionally abused by the woman who masqueraded as her mother.
WORLD
November 14, 2013 | By Tracy Wilkinson
MEXICO CITY -- Gunmen in El Salvador early Thursday burst into the offices of a human rights agency that focuses on children missing from the country's civil war, torching documents and taking away computers, activists said. The attack was a major blow against a group that had reunited numerous children with families from which they were wrenched in the 1980s. It follows by less than six weeks the abrupt closure of another human rights organization, one connected to the Roman Catholic Church, which had documented massacres and other egregious abuses over several decades.
NEWS
January 28, 1991 | MARJORIE MILLER, TIMES STAFF WRITER
It has been 4 1/2 years since Bernice Abeyta put her infant son, Christopher, to bed in his crib, 4 1/2 years since she last saw him. That was July 13, 1986, around midnight. Christopher slept with his parents in the master bedroom of their home in Colorado Springs, Colo. Four other children slept peacefully elsewhere in the house. No one heard anything unusual. But when Bernice Abeyta got up at 6 the next morning, 7-month-old Christopher was gone.
NEWS
April 5, 1990 | From United Press International
The mother of Johnny Gosch, the West Des Moines paperboy who disappeared seven years ago, said Wednesday she was stunned by the discovery of the body of a young man with a similar name. West Des Moines police thought they had a break in Gosch's baffling disappearance when Mexican authorities on Friday pulled the body of a young man from a drainage ditch in northern Mexico and identified him as John E. Gosch. The name was similar to John D. Gosch, who vanished on Sept.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 15, 2002 | TONY PERRY, TIMES STAFF WRITER
David Westerfield was ordered Thursday to stand trial for the kidnapping and murder of 7-year-old Danielle van Dam in a case that will depend heavily on DNA evidence. The decision by Superior Court Judge H. Ronald Domnitz came after a three-day preliminary hearing in which prosecutors presented evidence that small traces of the child's blood were found on Westerfield's jacket and recreational vehicle and that her fingerprints were found in the same vehicle.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 22, 1993
A Torrance couple will remain in jail in Louisville, Ky., until they are tried on charges that they lied to the FBI about the disappearance of their deceased 5-year-old daughter, a magistrate ruled. U.S. Magistrate William Clark ordered Thomas and Roxanne Suleski detained until their Dec. 13 trial, saying that they were a flight risk. The FBI says Roxanne Suleski's 16-year-old daughter has accused the pair of abusing and killing their daughter, Alex Suleski.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|