CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 23, 2013 |
William Kieschnick, a chemical engineer who in the 1980s led the Atlantic Richfield oil company and used his executive skills to help stabilize the fledgling Museum of Contemporary Art in Los Angeles, has died. He was 90. Kieschnick had Parkinson's disease and recently suffered a stroke, family members said. He died Wednesday in Napa, his home since 1990. Soft-spoken and understated, Kieschnick guided Los Angeles-based Arco through a period of dramatic cutbacks. During his tenure as president and chief executive from 1981 to 1985, he laid off 13% of the workforce, reduced spending on exploration, closed 2,000 gas stations, borrowed billions to buy back outstanding shares and ward off corporate predators, and sold the metals and mining operations championed by his flamboyant predecessor, Robert O. Anderson.
August 15, 2013 |
A year after Ed Ruscha joined three other prominent Los Angeles artists in resigning from the Museum of Contemporary Art's board of trustees, he has signed on to the board of another major California arts institution -- the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art. Ruscha has been elected to a three-year term on the SFMoMA board of trustees, a position that will allow him to influence the museum at a crucial time in its history. SFMoMA is in the midst of a $610-million renovation and expansion and has closed its central building until at least early 2016.
August 7, 2013 |
A 600-year-old statue residing in a museum in Florence, Italy, has one fewer finger on its right hand thanks to an American tourist who came in contact with the artwork and broke off a digit. The tourist, whose name has not been reported, allegedly broke off the right pinky finger of the statue while attempting to measure it. The incident is thought to have been an accident, but officials in Italy questioned the American and are weighing what action to take. Reports have described the tourist as a 55-year-old man from Missouri. PHOTOS: Hollywood stars on stage The statue, which is thought to depict the Virgin Mary, dates from either the 14th or 15th century.
August 5, 2013 |
Jeff Koons' big museum retrospective could be coming to Los Angeles after all, just not as soon as originally planned. The Museum of Contemporary Art said that the upcoming Koons exhibition has not been canceled, and is expected to arrive in L.A. in 2015. A spokeswoman for MOCA confirmed the details via e-mail, saying that the museum still is planning to present the show despite a Friday report from Bloomberg that said the exhibition would skip MOCA. PHOTOS: Hollywood stars on stage The Koons show will debut at the Whitney Museum of American Art in June, according to a spokesman for the New York museum.
August 2, 2013 |
Next year's highly anticipated retrospective of artist Jeff Koons won't be debuting in Los Angeles as previously expected, according to a recent report. Bloomberg has reported that the show, which will be Koons' first major retrospective in years, will instead premiere in New York at the Whitney Museum of American Art before traveling to Paris at the Centre Pompidou. GRAPHIC: MOCA's ups and downs with Jeffrey Deitch Koons had been expected to unveil the exhibition in January at L.A.'s Museum of Contemporary Art. But a Whitney spokesman told Bloomberg in a report published Friday that MOCA has bowed out of the show and that it will premiere in New York in June.
July 27, 2013 |
In a corner office at the Museum of Contemporary Art, a big white board is a tangle of names, dates and ideas scrawled in brightly colored markers. At the center is a chart for the video network MOCAtv, plotting new programs on the artist Urs Fischer and leading architects, on the raw symbolism of punk rock and on something called "CRIME: The Animated Series. " It represents an ambitious range of art-based programming, only some of it directly tied to a MOCA exhibition. "The contemporary art world has so many tangents that we are still reaching out to," says John Toba, MOCAtv's head of production, looking up at the board.
July 25, 2013 |
Jeffrey Deitch's embattled stewardship of the Museum of Contemporary Art has ended with his resignation as director three years into his five-year contract. That's probably a good thing for the museum, which was under serious financial strain for most of his tenure even as it engaged in a bitter battle over the artistic direction in which it was moving. Deitch was a risky hire from the start, an innovative but untested New York gallery owner tapped for a job that traditionally goes to someone with a scholarly, curatorial background and administrative experience.
July 24, 2013 |
As a leader in the search for a successor to Jeffrey Deitch as director at the Museum of Contemporary Art, Joel Wachs is no newcomer to MOCA. As L.A. City Council president in the early 1980s, he negotiated the long-term lease under which MOCA pays $1 a year to occupy the cavernous city-owned former warehouse and police car repair building in downtown's Little Tokyo that is now known as the Geffen Contemporary. After a remodeling by architect Frank Gehry, it opened in 1983 as MOCA's first exhibition space.
July 24, 2013 |
The Cleveland Museum of Art has come to a decision about the exhibition "Sicily: Art and Invention Between Greece and Rome. " It's not traveling from the Getty Villa to the Ohio museum this fall. The show of more than 100 ancient treasures opened April 3 at the Getty Villa and was to move to Cleveland in late September, with the two museums to share exhibition costs. Then Sicily requested the antiquities be returned to Italy because their absence was hurting the region's tourism.
July 24, 2013 |
Jeffrey Deitch has made it official: He'll be stepping down after a stormy three years as director of L.A.'s Museum of Contemporary Art. The MOCA board said it had launched a search for his successor. Deitch told the board of his decision to leave at its meeting Wednesday, according to a MOCA statement. "He will stay on to ensure a smooth transition and the successful completion" of a campaign begun in March to boost MOCA's endowment to $100 million, the statement said. The statement said the campaign is "expected to close this fall.