Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsMovie Sequels
IN THE NEWS

Movie Sequels

ENTERTAINMENT
January 15, 2006 | Elena Howe
SEQUELS are a Hollywood mainstay, and often for all the right reasons. Who can deny the artistry of "The Godfather: Part II"? Or even the delightful existentialism of "Toy Story 2"? Of course, for every one of those achievements there's a "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo" waiting in the wings. With their brand recognition and built-in audiences, sequels aren't going anywhere.
Advertisement
ENTERTAINMENT
November 26, 2005 | Robert W. Welkos, Times Staff Writer
Reporter: "Rocky, the press has labeled you a 'Balboasauras' who should be in a museum. With all the 'ring rust,' how do you think you'll hold up against the champ?" Rocky: "Well, ya really don't know much about nobody until ya lend 'em money or punch 'em hard." * YES, as implausible as it might seem, Rocky Balboa is back for Round 6.
ENTERTAINMENT
November 1, 2005 | From Associated Press
Sylvester Stallone has a case of sequelitis. The 59-year-old celebrity will write and direct "Rocky Balboa," the sixth film in that franchise, with shooting set to begin next year. When that's finished, he will reprise his role as gun-toting John Rambo in "Rambo IV," said Ben Nedivi of Millennium Films, which is producing the project with Emmett/Furla Films.
ENTERTAINMENT
August 12, 2005 | John Horn, Times Staff Writer
It's rare that a studio will walk away from success. Movie bosses are always on the prowl for low-cost/high-return movie franchises, and the Walt Disney Co. had such a property in "Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo." Made for just $18 million and released in 1999, the Rob Schneider comedy about an unlikely male prostitute grossed more than $65 million domestically and sold a ton of videos and DVDs. Not surprisingly, Disney soon started developing a sequel.
ENTERTAINMENT
July 13, 2005 | From Associated Press
Tom Cruise started shooting scenes for "Mission: Impossible 3" in Rome on Tuesday by whizzing past the camera in a speedboat. Fans looked on from a bridge over the river Tiber as the star sped under them to film the third installment in the action-adventure series. All traffic was barred from the historic waterway for the day. The movie will costar Ving Rhames, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Michelle Monaghan and Philip Seymour Hoffman. It is set for release in 2006.
BUSINESS
June 8, 2005 | Claudia Eller, Times Staff Writer
After more than a week of haggling over costs, Paramount Pictures on Tuesday reached an agreement with star Tom Cruise and his producing partner allowing "Mission: Impossible 3" to move forward as planned. Paramount confirmed that the sequel will start shooting July 18 in Italy, ending a week of brinksmanship in which new studio Chairman Brad Grey balked at a proposed budget Paramount insiders said had soared to about $185 million.
ENTERTAINMENT
March 8, 2005 | Susan King, Times Staff Writer
Repackaging the DVD of a popular movie to hype an upcoming sequel is nothing new, but it's no longer enough to tack on a preview and throw in a ticket to see the new movie. The strategy has come to involve production of elaborate "collector's editions" that not only include deleted footage and the requisite preview but add new interviews and even specially produced short films.
ENTERTAINMENT
July 6, 2004 | Robert W. Welkos, Times Staff Writer
By the end of last summer, "sequel" was a dirty word in Hollywood. "Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle," anyone? That was then. This summer, boosted by "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban," "Shrek 2" and now "Spider-Man 2," sequels are flying high again. Unlike the huge crop in 2003 that inundated summer moviegoers -- 15, with many underperformers and outright duds among them -- this season's offerings include only eight. The smaller field has produced three major hits so far.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|