July 21, 2009 |
The only suspected gunman still alive after last November's deadly attacks in Mumbai, India, who for months denied any involvement in the three-day siege, on Monday calmly told the judge at his murder trial, "Sir, I confess to all my crimes."
January 6, 2010 |
In Chicago's South Asian community, First World Immigration Services Inc. has operated as a walk-in center for recently arrived immigrants, helping with visas, citizenship applications and other matters, its proprietors say. But as part of a widening investigation into an alleged international terrorist plot rooted in the city, U.S. authorities are sharpening their sights on the agency in search of possible acts of immigration fraud, according to...
November 30, 2008 |
As investigators focused Saturday on whether the attacks in Mumbai, India, were the work of a militant group with a history of strikes on the country, the Pakistani government pledged to investigate any evidence of involvement by extremists based on its territory.
October 3, 2009 |
Pakistan's foreign minister, Shah Mahmood Qureshi, is on a public diplomacy tour of the United States, arguing that the Obama administration will lose credibility if it pulls back in its war against the Afghanistan insurgency. Qureshi insists that Pakistan's democratically elected government and its security establishment, which is often accused of links to extremists, are committed to fighting militants in their own country. But it wants the U.S. to provide more military resources to do the job. Qureshi spoke with Times Foreign Editor Bruce Wallace about the prospects for lowering regional tensions with India, about allegations that the Afghan Taliban is establishing itself in the Pakistani city of Quetta, and about the timetable for a government offensive against extremists in the South Waziristan region.
June 3, 2009 |
A Pakistani court Tuesday ordered the release of a firebrand Islamic cleric with alleged links to the attacks in the Indian city of Mumbai last year, sparking an angry rebuke from Indian officials that Pakistan is not committed to meting out justice for militants. Hafiz Saeed, head of a charity that international organizations have said is tied to the militant group Lashkar-e-Taiba, had been held under house arrest since Dec. 11, though he had not been publicly charged or indicted.
March 9, 2009 |
With prosecution deadlines looming, Interpol announced an agreement Sunday with Pakistan to aid an investigation into the masterminds behind November's militant attack in Mumbai, which killed more than 170 people. Ronald K. Noble, secretary-general of the France-based international security organization, also chided Indian officials for not being more forthcoming in helping their investigation of the deadly rampage in India's financial capital.
May 3, 2010 |
The lone surviving member of the November 2008 attack in Mumbai that killed 166 people was convicted Monday on 86 counts, including murder, conspiracy and waging war against India, while two alleged Indian accomplices were acquitted. The guilty verdict against Pakistan national Ajmal Amir Kasab, 22, was expected. Kasab was seen by several witnesses and recorded on closed-circuit video attacking the Mumbai railway station with a serene smirk that prompted Indian media to dub him the "smiling assassin."
May 4, 2010 |
The lone surviving member of the November 2008 attack in Mumbai that killed 166 people was convicted Monday on 86 counts, including murder, conspiracy and waging war against India, while two alleged Indian accomplices were acquitted. The guilty verdict against Pakistan national Ajmal Amir Kasab, 22, was expected. Kasab was seen by several witnesses and recorded on closed-circuit video attacking the Mumbai railway station with a serene smirk on his face that prompted Indian media to dub him the "smiling assassin."
July 15, 2011 |
India's home minister said Thursday that it was too early to blame any particular militant group or individual for the deadly blasts that struck Mumbai at rush hour a day earlier, but that the coordinated attack was the work of terrorists. He also defended the intelligence services' record in the run-up to the three explosions, adding that they had no information that an attack was coming. "Whoever planned this attack worked in a very, very clandestine manner," Palaniappan Chidambaram told reporters Thursday morning.
April 16, 2009 |
The first trial in November's Mumbai terrorist attacks was abruptly adjourned an hour after police pulled a large cloth off the head of the defendant to reveal the blinking, scruffy-bearded Pakistani who police say is the lone surviving gunman. The presiding judge ordered the much-anticipated proceedings delayed after dismissing the defense lawyer for suspect Ajmal Amir Kasab for a conflict of interest. Trial Judge M.L. Tahiliyani said legal aid lawyer Anjali Waghmare failed to disclose that she had agreed to represent a victim in a compensation claim case, who is also a witness against Kasab.