September 19, 2006 |
A court found two more men guilty of playing a part in India's deadliest terrorist attack, a string of bombings that killed 257 people in Mumbai in 1993. Judge Pramod Kode found Asgar Mukadam and Shah Nawaz Qureshi guilty of planting a car bomb at a movie theater in central Mumbai, formerly Bombay, that killed 10 people and wounded 37. They could face the death penalty.
December 6, 2008 |
The Indian government acknowledged Friday that the militant attacks on Mumbai had exposed lapses in security, and Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said the strike originated on a neighbor's soil, a clear reference to Pakistan. The Congress Party-led ruling coalition is facing renewed criticism from the opposition, which accuses it of being weak on security after the three-day rampage by gunmen in India's financial capital last week.
November 18, 2006 |
Indian police arrested three British bodyguards working for Angelina Jolie after they allegedly roughed up parents and students at a Mumbai school where the actress had been filming scenes for "A Mighty Heart," about slain journalist Daniel Pearl. The fracas took place Thursday afternoon when the gates of the Anjuman-e-Islam school, which had been locked during filming, were opened to let parents pick up their children.
July 25, 2006 |
Indian police have arrested a fourth suspect in the Mumbai train blasts that killed more than 200 people, police said. The suspect, Tanvir Ahmed Ansari, is a Mumbai-based practitioner of traditional medicine, investigator K.P. Raghuvanshi told reporters. He was formally arrested late Sunday. Raghuvanshi said that Ansari came into contact with Islamic militant groups during a 2001 visit to Bahrain and in 2004 visited Pakistan, where he allegedly learned to make bombs.
July 18, 2006 |
Investigators said the powerful military explosive RDX, often used by Islamic militants in India's portion of Kashmir, was used in the deadly July 11 attack on Mumbai's commuter rail system. Some Indians saw the announcement as further evidence of a link between Pakistan-based militants and the seven blasts on Mumbai's commuter train network that killed 182 people and injured more than 800.
September 15, 2006 |
An Indian court found Mohammed Ghansar guilty of planting one of the bombs that ripped through Mumbai in 1993, killing more than 250 people in India's deadliest terrorist attack. Twelve bombs placed in scooters, cars, jeeps and hotel rooms killed 257 people, exploding over a two-hour period in India's commercial and entertainment capital. Ghansar, 42, was accused of leaving an explosives-laden scooter outside a bazaar, where its blast killed 17 people. He could face the death penalty.
December 1, 2006 |
Twenty-eight people were formally charged in the July 11 train bombings in Mumbai that killed more than 200 people. Thirteen of the accused are in custody, police prosecutor Raja Thackeray said. The 28 were charged with murder, handling explosive substances, committing terrorist acts and causing damage to public property in Mumbai, formerly called Bombay. They could face the death penalty.
July 13, 2006 |
Ward 1 of Hinduja Hospital treats male patients with psychiatric and skin disorders, but not the kind seen here Wednesday. There was the man suffering such mental anguish that he emitted terrified, bone-chilling screams every few minutes. Propped up in beds around him were other dazed-looking patients with fragments of metal embedded in their skin -- along their backs, in their arms and legs.
January 15, 2010 |
Two Chicago men were indicted Thursday on charges of planning an attack on a Danish newspaper and of helping lay the groundwork for the November 2008 terrorist rampage that killed more than 170 people in the Indian city of Mumbai. Businessman Tahawwur Rana and his associate David Coleman Headley already had been charged with assistance to terrorism, but the new 12-count indictment expanded allegations against Rana to include the Mumbai attacks. Both are in federal custody in Chicago.
June 11, 2009 |
The makers of the hit movie "Slumdog Millionaire" have bought a new home for one of the two child stars discovered in Mumbai's slums. Both children lost their homes last month when authorities demolished parts of their slum here. The purchase of a 250-square-foot, one-bedroom apartment for the family of Azharuddin Mohammed Ismail, 10, was completed Monday, said Nirja Mattoo, who helps oversee the Jai Ho trust set up by the filmmakers to help Azharuddin and his 9-year-old costar, Rubina Ali.