Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsMurder For Hire
IN THE NEWS

Murder For Hire

CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 7, 2007 | Andrew Blankstein
A judge sentenced a 67-year-old man to life in prison without the possibility of parole Thursday for masterminding the murder for hire of his estranged wife, a killing that took place as police were outside her Long Beach home investigating a reported prowler. Manfred Schockner was found guilty Sept. 7 of first-degree murder in the Nov. 8, 2004, stabbing death of his estranged wife, Lynn, at the home they once shared in the Bixby Knolls area.
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
November 10, 2007 | Steve Chawkins, Times Staff Writer
Francisco Lopez had been stabbed seven times, severely beaten and strangled before he was tossed down a remote mountainside. It took him two days to crawl back up, where he was discovered by hikers and rushed to a Santa Barbara hospital. But, in a startling reversal sketched out Friday by the Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Department, Lopez, 23, has been arrested on suspicion of masterminding an alleged murder-for-hire plot that ended up nearly killing him.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 3, 2007 | Richard Winton and Andrew Blankstein, Times Staff Writers
The mystery began in July 2006 when a prominent Beverly Hills plastic surgeon was gunned down on his rugged 200-acre Lancaster ranch, where he grew olives, pistachios and other produce from his native Iran. For months, detectives were stumped, saying they could not figure out who would want to kill Dr. Esfandiar "Steve" Kadivar. Then last spring, the man who had leased the property from Kadivar's family, Efrain Martines, was found shot to death a few miles away in the bed of his pickup truck.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
September 8, 2007 | Greg Krikorian, Times Staff Writer
After less than two hours of deliberation, a Long Beach jury Friday convicted a retired millionaire businessman of first-degree murder for paying $50,000 to have his estranged wife killed. Manfred Schockner, 66, was the third person found guilty in the November 2004 stabbing death of Lynn Schockner during what authorities first believed was a botched burglary at her home in the affluent Bixby Knolls neighborhood.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 3, 2007 | John M. Glionna, Times Staff Writer
The editor of a weekly newspaper in Oakland was gunned down as he walked to work Thursday morning in what police called a contract killing. Chauncey Bailey, 57, recently promoted to editor of the Oakland Post, was shot at 7:30 a.m. not far from his office. He was pronounced dead at the scene. Witnesses told police that a gunman in dark clothing approached Bailey and shot him multiple times before fleeing. He was shot in the back and in the head.
NATIONAL
March 6, 2007 | From Times Wire Reports
A man was arrested for trying to hire someone to behead New York's police commissioner in revenge for the police shooting that left a young groom dead on his wedding day, authorities said. David Brown, 47, a felon, was charged with criminal solicitation after he offered an undercover officer $65,000 to kill Commissioner Raymond Kelly and blow up police headquarters in Manhattan, police spokesman Paul J. Browne said.
WORLD
October 17, 2006 | From Times Wire Reports
Prosecutors said they have arrested three individuals in the contract killing last month of Andrei Kozlov, a senior Central Bank official who had shut dozens of banks in a campaign against money laundering. Officials revealed no details about the suspects except to confirm the arrests.
WORLD
October 6, 2006 | From Times Wire Reports
An Iraqi man living in Australia has been cleared of plotting to kill members of ousted Iraqi President Saddam Hussein's regime more than two years ago, a media report said. Khairallah Bunajim, 42, had been accused of conspiring to kill at least three people as revenge for the slayings of his father and brother. Prosecutors alleged that Bunajim offered in phone calls to Iraqi family members in July 2004 to pay thousands of dollars to arrange the killings.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 22, 2006 | Hector Becerra, Times Staff Writer
Prosecutors on Friday charged the deputy city clerk of Maywood with soliciting the murder of an outspoken councilman who has spearheaded the city's efforts to improve treatment of illegal immigrants. Prosecutors allege that Hector Duarte sent threatening letters to Councilman Felipe Aguirre after he made national headlines for his efforts to make the small city south of downtown a sanctuary for illegal immigrants.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|