Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsMurders Israel
IN THE NEWS

Murders Israel

NEWS
March 17, 1997 | REBECCA TROUNSON, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Jordan's King Hussein flew to Israel on Sunday for a series of emotional visits with the families of seven schoolgirls slain by a rogue Jordanian soldier, making a dramatic gesture of solidarity despite growing tensions over Israeli construction plans in disputed East Jerusalem. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu accompanied Hussein throughout his visit and appeared touched by the Jordanian monarch's words of comfort for the grieving families in this town about 10 miles west of Jerusalem.
Advertisement
NEWS
February 4, 1997 | From Reuters
Palestinian Justice Minister Freih abu Medeen said Monday that a Palestinian held by PLO security forces in the West Bank city of Nablus was tortured to death during interrogation. The prosecutor general and Justice Ministry were investigating the death of Yousef Ismail Baba, 32, in the Palestinian-ruled enclave, Abu Medeen said in the first official confirmation of alleged torture.
NEWS
December 19, 1996 | From Associated Press
Palestinians have arrested and convicted three men in a highway ambush that killed an Israeli woman and her son in the West Bank last week, a Palestinian official said Wednesday. Abdel Nasser Kaasi and Ibrahim Massad received life sentences in the speedy trial, and driver Ibrahim Alqam got a 15-year sentence, according to Jibril Rajoub, the top Palestinian security official in the West Bank. Last week, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu demanded that anyone arrested in the Dec.
NEWS
December 15, 1996 | REBECCA TROUNSON, TIMES STAFF WRITER
An Israeli Cabinet minister on Saturday announced his opposition to the government's controversial decision to increase economic aid to Jewish settlements in the West Bank, saying he believes the army would be unable to give adequate protection to settlements built near Arab population centers.
NEWS
December 14, 1996 | MARJORIE MILLER, TIMES STAFF WRITER
In response to the killing of a Jewish settler and her son, the Israeli government on Friday renewed its claim to the occupied West Bank, declaring the Jewish communities there a "national priority" and offering economic aid to strengthen them. The Cabinet decision--a shift by the government of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to a more aggressive settlement policy--was denounced by Palestinians, Israeli peace activists and the political opposition as an invitation to bloodshed.
NEWS
December 13, 1996 | Associated Press
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu praised Jewish settlers as "heroes" and promised to strengthen settlements Thursday at the funeral of a woman and her son, who were killed in a drive-by shooting. The Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, a Syrian-based Palestinian group opposed to the Israel-Palestinian peace agreements, claimed responsibility for the Wednesday shootings and linked them to Israel's settlement policies.
NEWS
December 12, 1996 | REBECCA TROUNSON, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Gunmen opened fire on an Israeli family traveling near this Arab village at twilight Wednesday, killing a woman and a 12-year-old boy and injuring five others. The victims, members of the same family, were residents of the nearby Jewish settlement of Beit El, settlement and security officials said. Three children were among the injured.
NEWS
October 30, 1996 | MARJORIE MILLER, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The Middle East peace process continued to fray Tuesday as Israeli soldiers and Palestinian youths clashed after the funeral of an 11-year-old Arab boy allegedly beaten to death by a Jewish settler. Several thousand mourners marched in the funeral procession of Hilmi Shoushain this hillside village near Bethlehem, bearing black flags and placards calling for the "Nazis" and "criminal settlers" to get out of the predominantly Palestinian West Bank.
NEWS
July 27, 1996 | JOHN DANISZEWSKI, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Reacting to the first lethal terrorist attack in Israel since he assumed power last month, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and his government took a hard line Friday, hinting that Israel might have to go into Palestinian-controlled areas to hunt down the attackers. "There will be absolutely no compromise in the war against terrorism and no restrictions on our security forces," the government said in a statement late Friday after an overnight drive-by shooting that left two Israelis dead.
NEWS
July 26, 1996 | From Times Staff and Wire Reports
The Israeli government closed the West Bank after gunmen opened fire on a car near a farming settlement, killing two Israelis and critically wounding a third. Authorities were treating the shootings, which took place near the border with the West Bank, as a possible terrorist attack. A man and his daughter-in-law were killed, the slain man's son was critically wounded, and the slain man's wife was not hit, Israel Radio said.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|