Advertisement
 
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsMurders Orange County
IN THE NEWS

Murders Orange County

CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 30, 2001 | JACK LEONARD, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A judge Wednesday dismissed murder charges against three men accused of a 1996 drive-by shooting, the third Orange County "cold case" in as many months to fail in court. Only three weeks before the start of trial, prosecutors abruptly asked Judge Francisco P. Briseno to drop the charges after acknowledging they could not corroborate incriminating statements one of the suspects made to police.
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 30, 2001 | JACK LEONARD, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A judge Wednesday dismissed murder charges against three men accused of a 1996 drive-by shooting, the third Orange County "cold case" in as many months to fail in court. Only three weeks before the start of the trial, prosecutors abruptly asked Superior Court Judge Francisco P. Briseno to drop the charges after acknowledging that they could not corroborate incriminating statements one of the suspects made to police.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 20, 2001 | From Times Staff Reports
A Santa Ana street vendor was shot during an apparent robbery Sunday by two suspects who got away on BMX bicycles. A police spokesman said Alberto Cruz, 26, was accosted about 1:45 p.m. by men who demanded money. Police said one suspect in the incident at 200 W. Borchard Ave. fired a small-caliber handgun. The bullet went through Cruz's left hand and lodged in his lower torso. He was reported in stable condition at a local hospital. Investigators are not sure whether the men got away with money.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 16, 2001 | STUART PFEIFER, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A judge postponed the murder trial involving the former owner of several nude clubs Wednesday after a prosecutor revealed that the hit man at the center of the case will not testify. The disclosure came moments after a jury was selected in the case of Michael Woods, a retired CHP officer accused of ordering the 1989 murder of his former partner in a battle over a chain of strip clubs.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 16, 2001 | MONTE MORIN and JACK LEONARD, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
Attempts to win a conviction in Orange County's oldest cold case failed Wednesday when jurors deadlocked over whether Larry Donnell Paige murdered a Santa Ana man 25 years ago as the victim's stepson watched. The case, which relied on cutting-edge technology that sharpened blurry fingerprint images, is the oldest of dozens of unsolved murders that detectives now claim to have solved. In many of those cases, forensic advances have provided authorities with remarkable breakthroughs.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 14, 2001 | JACK LEONARD and MAI TRAN, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
During the four years that detectives searched for Newport Beach attorney Hugh "Randy" McDonald in connection with a murder case, another branch of government sent him checks totaling more than $20,000 that he used to live on. The Social Security Administration mailed the monthly disability checks to McDonald's San Fernando Valley bank for at least the last year, unaware that detectives wanted to question him as a possible suspect in the 1997 slaying of a businessman's wife.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 14, 2001 | JACK LEONARD, TIMES STAFF WRITER
During the four years that detectives searched for Newport Beach attorney Hugh "Randy" McDonald in connection with a murder case, another branch of government sent him checks totaling more than $20,000 that he used to live on. The Social Security Administration mailed the monthly disability checks to McDonald's San Fernando Valley bank for at least the last year, unaware that detectives wanted to question him as a possible suspect in the 1997 slaying of a businessman's wife.
NEWS
August 11, 2001 | JACK LEONARD and NANCY WRIDE and MAI TRAN, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
Hugh "Randy" McDonald seemed to have it all--a lucrative law practice, a loving family and a beautiful house near the ocean in Newport Beach--when he suddenly disappeared four years ago, just as police were about to question him as a suspect in a woman's death. Within days, they found his car, some clothes and a business card on the edge of the Golden Gate Bridge. He had mailed home a videotape as a "final farewell" to his wife and three children.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 10, 2001 | From Times Staff Writers
A Santa Ana man was convicted of first-degree murder Thursday in the slaying of his 14-year-old stepson, whose battered body was found half-buried in an Irvine drainage ditch. Francisco Muniz Gonzalez, 60, faces 25 years to life in prison when he is sentenced Sept. 14. The body of Mario Espinobarrios, a Santa Ana High School freshman, was found Jan. 29, 1999, in the creek bed with a rock on his head.
NEWS
August 7, 2001 | JACK LEONARD, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Witnesses have died or disappeared. Pieces of evidence are lost. Even the murder scene has been demolished. But the oldest "cold case" in Orange County history to result in murder charges went to trial Monday, with prosecutors arguing that they can prove who was behind the 1975 shooting of Larry Wheelock.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|