June 22, 2001 |
Three severed heads were found Thursday in an area where Muslim extremists claimed to have killed an American hostage last week. The victims were believed to be Filipinos. Lt. Col. Jose Mabanta said the heads were so badly decomposed that they would be hard to identify. But he added that none was that of Guillermo Sobero, 40, of Corona, who was among 20 people--including two other Americans--seized from a resort May 27.
June 24, 2001 |
Muslim rebels who kidnapped about two dozen hostages, including three Americans, dumped the beheaded bodies of two captives near a highway outside the capital of a remote southern island Saturday, police said. The two Filipinos, found near Isabela, appeared to have been killed that morning, Philippine police said.
July 27, 1988 |
Police Tuesday ruled out involvement of the Communist insurgency in the slaying of a U.S. serviceman near Clark Air Base and said the gunmen may have been acting on behalf of his jealous wife. "It's not the New People's Army," police Lt. Frederico Nuguit said in reference to the Communist rebel group, which is trying to topple the government. It claimed responsibility for killing three Americans last year outside the base 50 miles north of Manila.
July 5, 1988 |
A half-dozen bodyguards surrounded the hospital room where university president Nemesio Prudente was recovering Monday from the second attempt on his life in six months. As an added precaution, the patient's nameplate outside his private room at suburban Makati Medical Center simply said, "Occupied." At all times, heavy curtains inside Prudente's room remained closed. Such security was not the result of paranoia.
August 4, 1987 |
Key Philippine legislators on Monday demanded a total revamping of the nation's military and law-enforcement agencies after the weekend assassination of Cabinet minister Jaime Ferrer, the latest in a series of unsolved killings of prominent Filipinos that includes the 1983 assassination of President Corazon Aquino's husband.
September 28, 1990 |
A court today convicted 16 people of murdering President Corazon Aquino's husband and acquitted 20 others in the 1983 slaying at the Manila airport . "I think not only I but the entire Filipino people have been waiting for the decision of the court," Corazon Aquino told reporters. The verdict in the 3 1/2-year trial was announced on the first anniversary of the death in exile of former President Ferdinand E. Marcos, who many Filipinos believe ordered the slaying of Sen.