Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsMurders Riverside County
IN THE NEWS

Murders Riverside County

CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 19, 1998 | ESTHER SCHRADER, TIMES STAFF WRITER
An Orange County probation officer was found shot to death in his Norco home, and police have arrested his son, whom they described as a 17-year-old student at Villa Park High School. The body of Robert L. Swearingen, 52, was found in his garage just after noon Wednesday. He had been shot in the upper body with his own .38-caliber service revolver, said Mark Lohman, a spokesman for the Riverside Sheriff's Department.
Advertisement
NEWS
June 19, 1998 | From a Times Staff Writer
A high school sports standout was held Thursday on suspicion of fatally shooting his divorced father, an Orange County probation officer, at the father's Norco home. The body of Robert L. Swearingen, 52, was found in his garage Wednesday. He had been shot with his own .38-caliber service revolver, said Mark Lohman, a spokesman for the Riverside County Sheriff's Department. The victim's son, a 17-year-old student at Villa Park High School, was taken into custody at his father's home, Lohman said.
NEWS
May 19, 1998 | From Associated Press
The state Supreme Court on Monday unanimously upheld the death penalty for a Riverside man convicted of shooting his disabled mother while burglarizing his parents' home. A Riverside County jury found defendant Donald Ray Millwee guilty of first-degree murder with use of a rifle. It found two special circumstances warranting the death penalty because the killing took place during a robbery and a burglary.
NEWS
May 19, 1998 | DAVID G. SAVAGE, TIMES STAFF WRITER
In a ruling that gives a glimmer of hope to a California murderer facing execution, the Supreme Court said Monday that an Arizona death row inmate is entitled to one hearing before a federal judge to argue that his life should be spared because he is insane. The 7-2 decision marks one of the rare times the high court has sided with the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals in a death penalty case.
NEWS
May 15, 1998 | MARY CURTIUS, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A jury found Thursday that triple murderer Horace Kelly, described by his attorney as a man with a "broken brain," is sane enough to be executed. The verdict means that state prosecutors can move forward with the execution of Kelly, the first condemned inmate in California in nearly half a century to face a sanity trial on the brink of his scheduled death.
NEWS
May 14, 1998 | From Associated Press
A hearing on whether Horace Kelly is sane enough to be executed swept to a dramatic close Wednesday as a prosecutor displayed three silhouettes representing Kelly's victims, each stamped with a large red "X." His voice dropping to a whisper, prosecutor Ed Berberian read the names and ages of the victims--two women and an 11-year-old boy--who were killed by Kelly in November 1984. "Ask yourself this, 'Is Horace Kelly aware of why he's being executed?' " Berberian said.
NEWS
May 9, 1998 | From Associated Press
Triple murderer Horace Kelly has two execution dates but no clear indication that he will actually be consigned to California's death chamber. On Friday, a judge in Riverside County, where Kelly shot an 11-year-old boy between the eyes, set a July 7 execution date. Previously, a judge in San Bernardino County, where Kelly's two other victims were killed, set a date of June 9.
NEWS
April 20, 1998 | MARIA L. La GANGA, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A big "what if" hangs over the sanity trial of condemned triple murderer Horace Edward Kelly Jr.: What if the jury charged with deciding whether the San Quentin inmate is sane enough to be executed concludes that he is not? The short but fuzzy answer, by a state that has not faced this issue in nearly half a century, is that the 38-year-old inmate would probably be sent to a mental institution, treated for his psychosis and then executed after doctors brought him back to mental health.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 16, 1998 | SYLVIA L. OLIANDE
Investigators looking for information about the killing of a nurse working in the Van Nuys jail and an arson on Woodman Avenue may have some help from two reward offers. The City Council on Wednesday approved a reward offer of $20,000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for an arson at a home on the 5000 block of Woodman Avenue in Sherman Oaks.
NEWS
November 25, 1997 | TOM GORMAN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A safety officer for an Army contractor was charged Monday with second-degree murder for allegedly allowing a live military shell to be taken from Ft. Irwin to a Fontana scrap yard, where it exploded and killed a worker. The 105-millimeter shell was contained in several tons of scrap metal purchased by Dick's Auto Wrecking in Fontana, which had been assured that the load contained no explosives. Authorities arrested Timothy M.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|