Advertisement
 
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsMurders San Bernardino County
IN THE NEWS

Murders San Bernardino County

CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 1, 2000 | From a Times Staff Writer
A San Bernardino Superior Court jury deadlocked Thursday on whether a one-time California Youth Authority inmate should be sentenced to death or life in prison for killing a prison counselor four years ago. Prosecutors said they will press to retry the penalty phase before a new jury in an attempt to have James Ferris, 29, sentenced to death for the murder of Ineasie M. Baker. Jurors, who on Oct.
Advertisement
NEWS
November 15, 2000 | From Associated Press
San Bernardino County authorities have concluded that bone fragments found last month in the investigation of a couple charged with the murder of one of their three sons are not human. But more bone fragments were found Saturday at the rural desert home of John and Carrie Davis, and those also will need to be tested to determine whether they are human, the authorities said Monday. The Davises and another adult, Faye Potts, were arrested after a 911 call Oct.
NEWS
November 2, 2000 | SCOTT GOLD, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Authorities on Wednesday began laying out their case against three adults accused of imprisoning two boys. They painted a harrowing picture of an isolated desert life, and then said they plan to charge the adults with murdering a third boy. San Bernardino County Assistant Dist. Atty. Dan Cortez, after a lengthy hearing in a High Desert courtroom, said he plans to file the murder charges today.
NEWS
September 25, 2000 | DAN MORAIN and JENIFER WARREN, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
For the first time since taking office, Gov. Gray Davis has authorized parole for a convicted murderer, deciding that a San Bernardino woman was battered by an ex-boyfriend and feared for her life when she killed him in 1986, Davis' office said Sunday. Davis previously had vowed that he would not free people convicted of murder for any reason.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 26, 2000 | From Times staff and wire reports
A 15-year-old Rialto girl accused of clubbing an elderly woman to death over the weekend was charged with murder as an adult Tuesday, but prosecutors said another girl who was with her will not be tried. San Bernardino County Deputy Dist. Atty. Ben Gonzalez identified the defendant as Christy Phillips. Police say she confessed to battering a 72-year-old widow to death on a whim Saturday after telling the victim she wanted to adopt one of her many cats. Rialto Police Lt.
NEWS
July 25, 2000 | SCOTT GOLD and PETER Y. HONG, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
In a chilling confession described Monday by police, a 15-year-old Rialto girl said she clubbed a neighborhood woman to death on a whim. According to police, the teenager and another girl, 13, talked their way into the home of 72-year-old Manuela Ramos Fyock on Saturday evening by asking if they could adopt one of the woman's dozens of cats. "What do you think? Should I kill this lady?" the 15-year-old asked her friend, according to her statement to police.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 14, 2000 | GINA PICCALO, SPECIAL TO THE TIMES
Prosecutors on Thursday filed 10 more felony counts against Oswaldo Amezcua, the man accused of holding 15 people hostage and shooting three police officers in a Fourth of July standoff at the Santa Monica Pier. Amezcua, 25, of Baldwin Park now faces 16 felony counts in connection with the early morning shootout that started after Santa Monica police officers arrested his friend, Joseph Conrad Flores, 30. Amezcua "is realistically facing multiple life sentences," Deputy Dist. Atty.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 10, 2000 | From Associated Press
Four men--two brothers and two cousins, all related--were shot to death early Sunday and a fifth man was wounded in a neighborhood known as gang territory, police said. Police found the San Bernardino residents' bodies near a driveway about 1:45 a.m. Officers had made no arrests by Sunday evening and there were no descriptions of the attackers. Homicide detectives were interviewing witnesses but didn't know what led to the killings, said Lt. Larry Neigel.
NEWS
July 5, 2000 | ELISE GEE, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Fifteen-year-old Brittney Thompson will never look the same way at Gun Blade or Street Fighter 2 or any other popular video shooter games after Tuesday's visit to the arcade. The Palms teenager narrowly escaped when a real-life shooter burst into the Playland Arcade at the Santa Monica Pier, firing a gun and grabbing hostages. Brittney was having her picture taken in an arcade photo booth when the shots rang out. She didn't wait for her pictures.
NEWS
July 5, 2000 | MIKE DOWNEY
In 1874, the Santa Monica Pier was built. The new town's entire population at the time was only 300 or so. But more and more vacationers would undoubtedly be drifting toward the oceanside in the future to take up residence permanently, or to at least enjoy a happy-go-lucky holiday. Sometimes, in a spot as spectacular as this, every worry in the world can go away.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|