Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsMurders San Diego County
IN THE NEWS

Murders San Diego County

FEATURED ARTICLES
NEWS
March 8, 2001 | KEN ELLINGWOOD and TONY PERRY, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
Head bowed, eyes puffy, 15-year-old Charles Andrew Williams was formally charged with murder and attempted murder Wednesday, hours after shaken students began returning to the suburban high school that he allegedly turned into a bloody shooting gallery two days before. Dozens of Santana High School students appeared at the San Diego County Superior Court in El Cajon for Williams' arraignment.
ARTICLES BY DATE
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 25, 2010 | By Patrick McGreevy, Los Angeles Times
The state Senate approved a package of bills Tuesday in response to the rapes and murders of San Diego County teenagers Chelsea King and Amber Dubois, including a measure that would keep violent sexual offenders behind bars longer and require closer supervision for those paroled. Lawmakers dubbed one bill Chelsea's Law in memory of King, who was killed by a previously convicted sex offender after she disappeared while jogging near her home. King's parents actively supported the legislation.
Advertisement
NEWS
April 18, 1997 | TONY PERRY, TIMES STAFF WRITER
In a high-profile case of a retired Navy officer convicted of killing the neighborhood bully, a judge reduced the conviction Thursday from murder to manslaughter and gave the killer a lighter sentence than prosecutors and the victim's family had sought. Superior Court Judge William Mudd said the victim, John Harper Jr.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 29, 2001 | TIPTON BLISH, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The father of a San Diego County toxicologist accused of poisoning her husband defended his daughter Thursday as an academic, a dog lover and an avid reader who had no reason to kill. Ralph Rossum offered a different image of his daughter, Kristin Rossum, from the one prosecutors painted of a drug addict who plotted to poison her husband to keep him from revealing her drug use and an affair.
NEWS
July 21, 1998 | From Associated Press
A 29-year-old woman will follow her husband to death row for the murder of their 4-year-old niece, who was beaten and starved for months before being scalded to death in a bathtub, a judge ruled Monday. Superior Court Judge Michael Wellington, accepting a jury's recommendation, sentenced Veronica Gonzales to death for the 1995 killing of Genny Rojas.
NEWS
March 6, 1994 | DAVID FERRELL, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Joshua Swindell notched his first speeding ticket at age 14, clocking 47 m.p.h. down a hill in Diamond Bar--on a skateboard. Fear was not in his blood. He liked to live on the edge, to push the limit. By his late teens, the gangly, towheaded youth was a rising star in the hard-edged world of professional skateboarding, traveling and hauling down $50,000 a year, plus royalties on his own line of custom boards. In a world that pays homage to narcissism and nerve, Swindell found his niche.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 13, 1996 | JIM NEWTON and TONY PERRY, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
A Friday afternoon shooting in suburban La Mesa left three off-duty police officers dead, one by his own hand--an extraordinarily bloody moment in the history of Southern California law enforcement that authorities believe was sparked by the jealous rage of a Los Angeles police officer. Sources said the killer appears to have been a recently hired Los Angeles Police Department officer named Guillermo Delacruz, 29, who worked patrol in the agency's Southeast area.
NEWS
February 26, 1996 | TONY PERRY, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Herman W. Kreutzer, California prison inmate D-20376, will not be wearing his beloved cowboy hat when he meets with the parole board Thursday. And it's doubtful that any board member will refer to him by his preferred nickname, "Rock," or respond in kind if Kreutzer addresses him as "pardner." This is the first time that Kreutzer, 59, serving a sentence of 17 years to life at the state prison in San Luis Obispo for gunning down his son-in-law in 1984, has been eligible for a parole hearing.
NEWS
May 11, 1995 | TOM GORMAN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Fourteen-year-old Tony Hicks is too young for a driver's license, too young to view an R-rated movie by himself, but now he's facing a 25-years-to-life sentence if convicted in the ambush slaying of a pizza deliveryman. Hicks, who has admitted shooting his victim with a 9-millimeter semiautomatic handgun, has become the youngest defendant in California history to be looking at hard-core prison time.
NEWS
September 29, 1992 | MARK PLATTE, TIMES STAFF WRITER
For more than four years after his wife's disappearance, Navy Lt. Cmdr. Leonard Eddington II tended to the couple's three young children, fretting aloud to family members about whether Vickie would ever be found. Attempting to answer that question themselves, Vickie's family, friends and neighbors had slowly reached the conclusion that Eddington might have killed her. Maybe it was the bulldozer that he used repeatedly to smooth over his property.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 21, 2001 | From Times Staff and Wire Reports
A judge Friday delayed ruling on whether Charles Andrew Williams, 15, accused of killing two students and wounding 13 people at Santana High School in Santee, should be tried as an adult or juvenile. El Cajon Superior Court Judge Herbert Exharos said he needs another week to study arguments by Williams' attorneys challenging Proposition 21, the measure adopted by voters last year that allows prosecutors to file murder charges against juveniles in Superior Court.
NEWS
March 27, 2001 | KEN ELLINGWOOD and TONY PERRY, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
Their heads bowed, two teenagers accused of shooting rampages at local high schools appeared at separate hearings Monday, where one pleaded not guilty and attorneys for the other vowed to fight a law requiring that he be tried as an adult.
NEWS
March 17, 2001 | H.G. REZA, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The father of Charles Andrew Williams said Friday that he is still looking for answers to explain the March 5 campus shooting that traumatized the town of Santee. Known to family and friends as Andy, the 15-year-old boy is accused of killing Randy Gordon, 17, and Bryan Zuckor, 14, and wounding 13 other students and staff members at Santana High School in a shooting that focused international attention on the San Diego suburb.
NEWS
March 12, 2001 | SCOTT GOLD, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Peggy Conlon is, as she puts it, "tragically timely." Just hours after 15-year-old Charles Andrew Williams allegedly killed two Santana High School classmates and wounded 13 others, anti-violence ads by Conlon's nonprofit were sharing the airwaves with breathless reports from news anchors. Distributed by the New York City-based Advertising Council Inc.
NEWS
March 9, 2001 | H.G. REZA, TIMES STAFF WRITER
It was a fleeting second that lasted forever: the instant that campus security guard Peter Ruiz made eye contact with the pint-sized gunman who had allegedly just fired three bullets into his back and was to shoot 14 other people before surrendering to sheriff's deputies. Immobilized by a bullet wedged in his pelvic bone, Ruiz lay on the ground waving one arm at the young man--"Like, hey, hey. It's time to stop."
NEWS
March 8, 2001 | H.G. REZA and MATTHEW EBNET, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
The bloody tableau facing San Diego County Sheriff's Deputy Howard Kluge was the stuff of nightmares. The bodies of children lay strewn like discarded toys. Their moans filled the air--cries of pain, pleas for help. Kluge's conscience tugged hard, but he had no choice. He couldn't help. Not yet. Not until he got to the gunman who caused the mayhem. So he ignored the cries. "It was the most helpless feeling in my life," he said.
NEWS
March 7, 2001 | MATTHEW EBNET, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Caution was as much a part of Brian Zuckor's life as bikes and skateboards and silly antics with friends. The 14-year-old loved performing stunts on his bike, but he wore a helmet. He loved being with friends, but for five years he did not attend public school; his parents chose instead to teach him at home--and keep him safe. But a year ago, persuaded by her son's pleas, Michelle Zuckor enrolled Brian in Santana High School. The Zuckors gave the boy a cell phone. A safety precaution.
NEWS
February 14, 1993 | MICHAEL GRANBERRY, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Relatives of a British woman who was found shot to death in Rancho Santa Fe along with her three children have turned to the office of Lawrence E. Walsh, the independent counsel investigating the Iran-Contra case, to air their contention that U.S. government agents were responsible for the family's murder. Gail Spiro, 41, and her children--Sara, 16; Adam, 14, and Dina, 11--were found Nov.
NEWS
March 8, 2001 | DUKE HELFAND and RICHARD WINTON, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
There were reminders: Dried blood on a sidewalk. A chair where a friend once sat. A bathroom turned into a killing place. But mostly what remains is emotion. Sadness collides with anger. Grief encounters a desire for revenge. A sense of hope battles despair. For Santana High School students returning to school Wednesday for the first time since a bloody rampage left two dead and 13 injured, this posed a dilemma.
NEWS
March 8, 2001 | KEN ELLINGWOOD and TONY PERRY, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
Head bowed, eyes puffy, 15-year-old Charles Andrew Williams was formally charged with murder and attempted murder Wednesday, hours after shaken students began returning to the suburban high school that he allegedly turned into a bloody shooting gallery two days before. Dozens of Santana High School students appeared at the San Diego County Superior Court in El Cajon for Williams' arraignment.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|