Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsMurders Santa Barbara County
IN THE NEWS

Murders Santa Barbara County

CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 8, 2000 | SUE FOX, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Three young men charged with kidnapping and murdering a 15-year-old West Hills boy pleaded not guilty Thursday, while a 17-year-old defendant facing the same charges put off entering a plea. The four were arrested in August in connection with the slaying of Nicholas Markowitz, whose bullet-riddled body was found in the mountains north of Santa Barbara. The boy had been kidnapped from his West Hills neighborhood Aug.
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 30, 2000 | GREG RISLING and SUE FOX, SPECIAL TO THE TIMES
SWAT teams Tuesday night fired tear gas into a West Hills home where police believed murder suspect Jesse James Hollywood had taken refuge, but after a three-hour siege, investigators came up empty-handed. Los Angeles police surrounded the house in the 8200 block of McLaren Avenue about 4:15 p.m. and used a bullhorn to urge Hollywood, 20, to surrender. But when they entered the home after 7 p.m., police said, Hollywood was not there. Cmdr.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 24, 1993 | JEFF McDONALD
A Ventura teen-ager who pleaded guilty to an assault charge stemming from the fatal stabbing of a 16-year-old Lompoc boy in August was sentenced to five years in state prison, officials said Tuesday. Benjamin Huerta, 18, will be interviewed by officials at the California Youth Authority to determine his eligibility for incarceration at that facility, said Rory Moore, a Santa Barbara County deputy public defender.
NEWS
March 22, 2001 | SALLY ANN CONNELL, SPECIAL TO THE TIMES
Toxicology tests have found that marijuana and the topical painkiller lidocaine were in the bloodstream of David Edward Attias the night his car careened out of control in a Santa Barbara County neighborhood, killing four people and leaving one seriously injured. The Department of Justice test, released this week by the California Highway Patrol, was done on blood that was forcibly drawn from Attias immediately after the Feb. 23 crash in Isla Vista, near UC Santa Barbara.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 9, 2001 | NEDRA RHONE, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Benjamin Markowitz, whose alleged drug debt authorities believe led to the kidnapping and killing of his younger half-brother last summer, was arrested Thursday on suspicion of robbery. Markowitz, 22, was taken into custody about 12:30 p.m. after a routine traffic stop in Van Nuys, authorities said. A warrant for Markowitz's arrest on felony robbery charges filed Feb. 2 was issued Monday, said Officer Jason Lee, an LAPD spokesman. He is charged with armed robbery in a Dec.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 2, 2001 | JOE MOZINGO, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Authorities in Santa Barbara refused to comment Thursday on whether they have confirmed reports that UC Santa Barbara freshman David Attias called himself an "angel of death" after he plowed his car into a crowd of students last week, killing four people. But one eyewitness says he has told investigators that he saw the suspect lift his arms, make that ominous proclamation and randomly shout, "You deserve to die."
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 25, 2001 | JOHN JOHNSON, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Declaring that authorities violated restrictions on search warrants, a Santa Barbara County judge has thrown out evidence seized from several schools and the home of the parents of David Attias, a college student accused of running down and killing four people in February. Superior Court Judge Thomas R.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 15, 2000 | ZANTO PEABODY, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Remains found by hikers in the Los Padres National Forest have been identified as the body of a 15-year-old Woodland Hills boy missing since Aug. 6, Santa Barbara County authorities said Monday. Lt. Michael Burridge, a Sheriff's Department spokesman, said the body of Nicholas Sam Markowitz was discovered in a shallow grave on Saturday. His family had reported him missing four days earlier.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 18, 2001 | TRACY WILSON, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Ventura County prosecutors are driving an effort to free an Oxnard man they believe was wrongly convicted of murder in Santa Barbara, sparking a dispute between authorities in the neighboring coastal counties. Efren Cruz, 26, was found guilty of murder, attempted murder and other charges in the shooting of two men during a gang-related melee in a downtown Santa Barbara parking garage four years ago.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|